SDS100/SDS200: It died again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Four days after Uniden's repair warranty expired, my SDS100 died again!

As best I can tell, it's the J401 board issue . . .

I've got a call in to Uniden's repair shop in Texas to see if they're willing to extend the warranty to re-repair the radio, but I'm guessing that isn't likely to happen. Even if they do, I'm hesitant to send it to them again for another month of down time (and no assurance it will stay fixed), so I'll probably send it to Jon Wienke.

If, as Jon's discovered, the J401 problem is due to faulty assembly, it would be nice to know if Uniden's taken any steps to correct that issue with newer production models. I really want to keep Uniden in business; I appreciate their track record for technical innovations, and I really love my SDS100 . . . when it's working.

Thanks for listening . . .

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

whooey

I sent my SDS100 in to Uniden for the second time too, right after cold solder repair, my knob quit working correctly. I dealt with it, then 2 weeks ago it fell off a table on to carpet and went deaf. They've had my scanner 11 days, still haven't heard anything back, hopefully it'll ship back this week.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: I contacted Jon Wienke about sending my SDS100 to him for repairs.

After I removed and replaced the battery to get the serial number, it started working again!

For reasons I don't understand (Did it get too hot?), it seems that the scanner may only have needed to be reset. I keep it in a Scannermaster nylon case, which certainly can't help dissipate the heat it generates, but all this is only a guess.

I'm going to run it for a awhile to see if its rebirth lasts, but I'd appreciate any ideas or advice about what might have caused this to happen and what might need to be done to avoid a recurrence.

Thanks to all . . .

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

After I removed and replaced the battery to get the serial number, it started working again!

For reasons I don't understand (Did it get too hot?), it seems that the scanner may only have needed to be reset. I keep it in a Scannermaster nylon case, which certainly can't help dissipate the heat it generates, but all this is only a guess.

I'm going to run it for a awhile to see if its rebirth lasts, but I'd appreciate any ideas or advice about what might have caused this to happen and what might need to be done to avoid a recurrence.

Thanks to all . . .

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Two possible possibilities...

The flexing of the case caused by removing the battery cover moved J401 to a working position.

Or..

Several members have reported random episodes of no reception and turning it off and on fixes it. I've experienced that several times.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Hi, My SDS 100 got the chriping problem. I sent it back 2 day USPS, last week. Does anyone know the turn around?

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
oops, to add, it is under warranty only 2.5 months old. Dont use the 800 mhz for much. Think with problems requiring a second return may as well sell it, before i own a $700 brick. Got a 3 year old 436, may as well just use it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Four days after Uniden's repair warranty expired, my SDS100 died again!

As best I can tell, it's the J401 board issue . . .

I've got a call in to Uniden's repair shop in Texas to see if they're willing to extend the warranty to re-repair the radio, but I'm guessing that isn't likely to happen. Even if they do, I'm hesitant to send it to them again for another month of down time (and no assurance it will stay fixed), so I'll probably send it to Jon Wienke.

If, as Jon's discovered, the J401 problem is due to faulty assembly, it would be nice to know if Uniden's taken any steps to correct that issue with newer production models. I really want to keep Uniden in business; I appreciate their track record for technical innovations, and I really love my SDS100 . . . when it's working.

Thanks for listening . . .

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)
They told me SOL so I sent it to get it fixed right the first time jonwienke

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 had the solder problem and Uniden "fixed" it. I sent it to Jon for a GPS and he asked if it had been sent in for repair because he noticed Uniden's attempt. It was "hanging on by a thread." He fixed their "repair" and found some others. He fixed those, too. It was so inexpensive, I thought Jon was gonna pay me. :) Now it works like it's supposed to.

djeplett

@kc5igh I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't have any more issues, but if it does I also suggest sending it to @jonweinke. I sent mine to him and it returned working like brand new again and it's been going strong for a few weeks now. I also spent the money for his upgraded battery door clip. Money well spent.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
(n) It's beginning to sound like Uniden is following AOR's irresponsible attitude! :mad:

I can't complain this time because Uniden's repair shop got approval from "Uniden corporate" to honor the expired repair warranty.

However, I'm going to cut to the chase and send it to Jon Wienke. I don't have a lot of confidence in Uniden's repair capabilities, and I don't want to run the risk of sending it back to them for another month and have it fail again.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
@kc5igh I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't have any more issues, but if it does I also suggest sending it to @jonweinke. I sent mine to him and it returned working like brand new again and it's been going strong for a few weeks now. I also spent the money for his upgraded battery door clip. Money well spent.

That's exactly where it's going today, djeplett!

I'm going to trust this job to Jon Wienke.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber

Thanks to all . . .

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

My SDS100 died yet again!

After turning it off to plug it into the AC adapter, it stopped receiving radio signals, just as before.

Everything else works (display, battery level indicator, menu, etc), so I'm assuming it's another J401 problem. This time, it's going to jonwienke!

-Johnnie

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I hope that you all find good luck. Because that is what is needed with the SDS100!! LUCK! I bought one from HRO. It lasted for 1 week. HRO sent me another "new" one. It lasted for about 10 days. Guess how long HRO's return policy is? 10 days. HRO said that I have to send it for warranty repair at Uniden Service. After much thought and advice from many folks on "this" forum, I chose to send it to Jon, instead of Uniden. Jon had it for a month. While he was fixing the J401 cold solder joint, it developed several other problems. When I got it back, it was useless. So, off it went to Uniden for warranty service. They have had it for a couple of weeks now. So, long story short.....I have owned a $700 scanner for about 3 months and it has been working, in my posession, for less than 3 weeks. If Uniden don't fix their TERRIBLE QUALITY CONTROL on this radio, I do not recommend any one taking a chance and spending $700 on what, so far has been less than a brick!!!! If Jon can't fix it, you know there are serious issues. I know there are guys that will say, "I have had mine for 2 years and have had NO problems". But "I" and many others have received JUNK! So, to the "lucky ones", I'm glad it has worked out for you. To those that got a lemon, sorry about "our" luck. To those that are considering putting down $700 on the SDS100, just know it is a roll of the dice! If you don't just "need" the portable, I would say get the SDS200 instead. You can hook it to your home network and listen to it on the go with your cellphone or tablet. If I were going to make the decision again, it would be the SDS200. The SDS100 just has too many Quality Control issues. Until Uniden addresses "that" issue, I would stay away from the SDS100. And with @UPMan not around anymore to advocate for us. Uniden don't seem like they are eager to address any issues. As a matter of fact, I talked to Uniden Service a couple of weeks ago before sending them my radio they would not even admit that the SDS100 has had "any" issues other than the SMALL BATTERY that they replaced. So, that's the word from the mouth of Uniden Service.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
After much thought and advice from many folks on "this" forum, I chose to send it to Jon, instead of Uniden. Jon had it for a month. While he was fixing the J401 cold solder joint, it developed several other problems. When I got it back, it was useless.

What other "issues" arose during the repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.