• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ITALKPTT

bubbablitz

Hello. My company is considering switching over from traditional LMR to ITALKPTT. Just doing some web browsing and some brief reading on the company's website, it seems that these radios are using the cellular infrastructure, i.e. cell towers, rather than mountain top or building repeaters. We were given portables on loan by our radio guy to test out in the field and in our vehicles and it seems the coverage is pretty much anywhere. If we like it, our manager will be switching over and having mobiles installed into our vehicles shortly. Commercial radio techs: Any disadvantages with type of technology? Is this sort of like FirstNet or the same technology? Is this regional or nationwide coverage? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a pleasant day.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Its most likely just using the LTE backbone. Pro is it will work anywhere. Con is its gets expensive month after month. I was involved in the LMR/Nextel stuff back in day. We lost tons of users to Nextel Mobiles at the time and then a year later they were back because of the fees involved. Sadly IT folks would rather be a pay and forget it.

bubbablitz

Its most likely just using the LTE backbone. Pro is it will work anywhere. Con is its gets expensive month after month. I was involved in the LMR/Nextel stuff back in day. We lost tons of users to Nextel Mobiles at the time and then a year later they were back because of the fees involved. Sadly IT folks would rather be a pay and forget it.
So in the event of a cellular outage, no switching over to simplex/car-to-car I would presume?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
This will be running on cellular data. So coverage will vary depending on what cellular provider they have a deal work out with to provide the data. If this is proprietary tech then you will be investing in the equipment and monthly charges for air time. You need to ask that company if you are running through their servers or if its being resold as something else. There are several companies who offer services like this.
Klein offers a similar service but i believe they claim they run their own custom software and servers.
There are others like Zello who offer business solutions as well. IF this company has their own software just make sure they will be in business down the road so your not investing in all this hardware then it stops working in a year or so.
As @jeepsandradios mentions now you have a monthly cost vs owning your own radio system which is a higher up front cost but lower cost in the long run. But its also limited in distance from the shop.
Also if something happens to the wireless carrier infrastructure aka no service you will have no working radios.

bubbablitz

This will be running on cellular data. So coverage will vary depending on what cellular provider they have a deal work out with to provide the data. If this is proprietary tech then you will be investing in the equipment and monthly charges for air time. You need to ask that company if you are running through their servers or if its being resold as something else. There are several companies who offer services like this.
Klein offers a similar service but i believe they claim they run their own custom software and servers.
There are others like Zello who offer business solutions as well. IF this company has their own software just make sure they will be in business down the road so your not investing in all this hardware then it stops working in a year or so.
As @jeepsandradios mentions now you have a monthly cost vs owning your own radio system which is a higher up front cost but lower cost in the long run. But its also limited in distance from the shop.
Also if something happens to the wireless carrier infrastructure aka no service you will have no working radios.
Okay, I chime that in to the manager. Thank you.

12dbsinad

I beleive ITALKPTT has a model that does both LMR and LTE (mobile unit) if you're worried about outages you could always use a simplex channel to talk. Even LMR trunking can be unreliable because they usually aren't built to a PS standard and it's only as good as the backhaul which a lot of times is a commercial network like fiber. Other than that, they work well with excellent audio. Mobiles are easy to install and only draw 1.5 amps so you can tap it off the cig lighter and away you go. Between these guys and all the other LTE options LMR trunking systems of any flavor are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately for general business radio use around here. A fairly large M dealer near here is slowly dismantling it's TRBO system that was once massive. More profit, less overhead, no maintenance and coverage anywhere.

bubbablitz

I beleive ITALKPTT has a model that does both LMR and LTE (mobile unit) if you're worried about outages you could always use a simplex channel to talk. Even LMR trunking can be unreliable because they usually aren't built to a PS standard and it's only as good as the backhaul which a lot of times is a commercial network like fiber. Other than that, they work well with excellent audio. Mobiles are easy to install and only draw 1.5 amps so you can tap it off the cig lighter and away you go. Between these guys and all the other LTE options LMR trunking systems of any flavor are becoming a thing of the past unfortunately for general business radio use around here. A fairly large M dealer near here is slowly dismantling it's TRBO system that was once massive. More profit, less overhead, no maintenance and coverage anywhere.
Okay, thank you everyone for your input. It really helps.😊

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Okay, thank you everyone for your input. It really helps.😊

What do the units and monthly fees cost? I have customers on the same system using Hytera gear around $15-$20/month. I've seen prices all over the place on POC airtime.

bubbablitz

What do the units and monthly fees cost? I have customers on the same system using Hytera gear around $15-$20/month. I've seen prices all over the place on POC airtime.
We’re supposed to be getting them sometime this week. I’ll see if I can squeak that out of our local manager.

bubbablitz

Speedway_navigator was correct. $10/mo. I believe that you have the option of dual sim cards, (AT&T or T-Mobile) for redundancy, but I don’t know if they will be doing that. Also, they’re buying, not leasing the radios, and I don’t know for how much. We shall see what happens!

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Speedway_navigator was correct. $10/mo. I believe that you have the option of dual sim cards, (AT&T or T-Mobile) for redundancy, but I don’t know if they will be doing that. Also, they’re buying, not leasing the radios, and I don’t know for how much. We shall see what happens!
That's a fair price!

bubbablitz

Hello. My company is considering switching over from traditional LMR to ITALKPTT. Just doing some web browsing and some brief reading on the company's website, it seems that these radios are using the cellular infrastructure, i.e. cell towers, rather than mountain top or building repeaters. We were given portables on loan by our radio guy to test out in the field and in our vehicles and it seems the coverage is pretty much anywhere. If we like it, our manager will be switching over and having mobiles installed into our vehicles shortly. Commercial radio techs: Any disadvantages with type of technology? Is this sort of like FirstNet or the same technology? Is this regional or nationwide coverage? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a pleasant day.
Okay. My company purchased the ITALKPTT radios. The coverage is sufficient as long as we're in the the AT&T network area. The problem that that we are encountering is choppy transmissions at times and reception where one unit hears everything, yet another hears nothing. We're noticing that this occurs frequently in between buildings, under overhangs, etc. I believe that the radios were Y connected to a puck antenna that already existed, mounted on the dash for POS terminals. I can't be sure because I'm not in the loop as far as management is concerned. The puck antenna is for GPS, and dash mounted and, whether its a dual 4G/LTE/5G antenna is unknown, because I can't tell by just looking at it. I'm trying to explain to my manager that a roof mounted radome antenna with a dedicated cable to the radio would probably correct these problems, because it would be mounted at the highest point away from any obstructions and interference, possibly caused by other electronic components inside of the vehicle. Also, if the puck is strictly a GPS antenna, wouldn't the signal be configured to send and receive up and down instead of omnidirectional? Thank you for your professional input.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Okay. My company purchased the ITALKPTT radios. The coverage is sufficient as long as we're in the the AT&T network area.
The problem is, if AT&T does not have coverage, then even an external antenna may not help. Other facts can also affect QoS with PTToLTE, including network prioritization. If the PTT operator is using an MVNO, network congestion may also affect voice quality. There are many factors outside of the subscriber at play with these services, and many are beyond the scope of what an end user can mitigate.

bubbablitz

The problem is, if AT&T does not have coverage, then even an external antenna may not help. Other facts can also affect QoS with PTToLTE, including network prioritization. If the PTT operator is using an MVNO, network congestion may also affect voice quality. There are many factors outside of the subscriber at play with these services, and many are beyond the scope of what an end user can mitigate.

12dbsinad

ITALK I believe runs on T-Mobile and ATT and default set-up prioritizes T-Mobile even with marginal signal strength. Have them force the SIMS to utilize ATT only and see if that helps.