• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Itinerant frequency for personal use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binger511

Feed Provider
I have two uhf NEXEDGE units that I would love to use on digital and was curious what the head honchos at the fcc thought about using an itinerant license for personal use. It’s pretty cheap ($165 or something like that) compared to my other digital option which was the Motorola dtr series. Unfortunately those radios are 2-300 each so I was curious if I could use my existing equipment.

Mr_Boh

You are more or less going to need a valid business need and business to assign them to. FCC upon application will ask you how it conforms to one of the identified uses.

Binger511

Feed Provider
Oh, trust me I've thought of that, however my Public safety is still analog and I would like to keep the radios to scan when I can.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Another possible option is to take and pass the amateur radio technician test. You can then use those radios on 420-450 MHz. The downside is that anyone you talk to has to be a licensed ham as well.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have two uhf NEXEDGE units that I would love to use on digital and was curious what the head honchos at the fcc thought about using an itinerant license for personal use.

Depending on which model/submodel radio you have, you could use them in analog only mode on GMRS.

The NX-300 in the 450-520MHz model does have FCC Part 95 certifications. FCC ID on the back of the radio, under the battery, will show ALH378500. The NX-300 in the 400-470MHz model, ALH378501, does NOT have part 95 certification.
You can get your GMRS license, and that license will cover everyone in your immediate family. GMRS does NOT permit using digital, so you're stuck with analog only.

Binger511

Feed Provider
Depending on which model/submodel radio you have, you could use them in analog only mode on GMRS.

The NX-300 in the 450-520MHz model does have FCC Part 95 certifications. FCC ID on the back of the radio, under the battery, will show ALH378500. The NX-300 in the 400-470MHz model, ALH378501, does NOT have part 95 certification.
You can get your GMRS license, and that license will cover everyone in your immediate family. GMRS does NOT permit using digital, so you're stuck with analog only.

Yeah, unfortunately They are not part 95 certified (NX-340, NX-3320). Theoretically I could still use them but, I'd rather play it safe.

Binger511

Feed Provider
You can easily start a small business . There is some paperwork and fees. But anyone can do it. You can open a sole proprietorship or an LLC .

True... however a family member does own a small business so I guess that is an option. Just not sure what the fcc guys in the blacked out van will think when they hear family-related comms on an NXDN itinerant frequency.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
You can easily start a small business . There is some paperwork and fees. But anyone can do it. You can open a sole proprietorship or an LLC .
And the eligibility statement on the itinerant application is optional. You can leave it totally blank for some reason.
Just not sure what the fcc guys in the blacked out van will think when they hear family-related comms on an NXDN itinerant frequency.
Use encryption. It's legal for Business/Industrial licensees.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I've seen some pretty lame excuses for license qualifiers in the past. Just run your transmissions above board and grab a few frequencies to be agile and courteous to others and otherwise don't raise a stink and I doubt the FCC will ever look your way.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber

RFI-EMI-GUY

Status
Not open for further replies.