• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Itinerant license fees and maximum output watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahnooie

Hi, first post here. I'm working on an application for a nationwide itinerant FCC license (for communication with family and friends and some business) and I'm having trouble understanding the fee structure. I was just going to get 1 frequency in the VHF or UHF band (below 470MHz).

1. Looking at the fee filing guide it looks like the application fee is $60 and regulatory fee is $150 per call-sign. But I don't see anything specifying a fee per unit or per frequency, is there no extra cost to add more frequencies? If so would it make sense to add multiple frequencies to the application before I submit it so that I would have more options (e.g. have both a VHF and UHF frequency so we could use whatever works best in the area we're in when we're out and about, or have a backup frequency in case someone else is using the primary).

2. What is the maximum watts allowed on Output Power and ERP? My most powerful mobile radio will output 50 watts, will the FCC allow that high? (I see the itinerant frequency reference, it appears certain frequencies have limits of 35 watts) but some (number 4) don't have a maximum specified. I don't think we'll need 50 watts most of the time, but on occasion I could see it would be helpful if it's allowed.

Thanks.

cabletech

If you are trying to get a license to use nation wide, it will be much better if you when thru a commerical licensing company to help you out.

The fee's will be a little higher but for the most part you will get frequency's that you will have no trouble with.

With a direct (you) license application, you are limited to a max of 5 frequency's and if you use a service you can get up to 15 frequency's.

I licensed for 15 nation wide, tryed to direct apply, did not work, contacted a service,took 60 days, cost me a total of $400.00 and then the service set me up for a total of 20 UHF and 10 VHF for the same cost.

Best money I ever spent.

As for power, the max output power for any itinerant frequency is 10 watts and most are between 2 & 4 watts.

Contact a local radio shop and ask them who they use for licensing then contact them and tell them what you are trying to do, this is the best way to know for sure.

rapidcharger

Hi, first post here. I'm working on an application for a nationwide itinerant FCC license (for communication with family and friends and some business) and I'm having trouble understanding the fee structure. I was just going to get 1 frequency in the VHF or UHF band (below 470MHz).

1. Looking at the fee filing guide it looks like the application fee is $60 and regulatory fee is $150 per call-sign. But I don't see anything specifying a fee per unit or per frequency, is there no extra cost to add more frequencies? If so would it make sense to add multiple frequencies to the application before I submit it so that I would have more options (e.g. have both a VHF and UHF frequency so we could use whatever works best in the area we're in when we're out and about, or have a backup frequency in case someone else is using the primary). )))

The last time I did this (several years ago and I'm not aware of any changes since then) it's $160 for 10 years. You can get licensed for as many frequencies as you want for that.... You can even get licensed for them ALL on both bands. :lol:

(((2. What is the maximum watts allowed on Output Power and ERP? My most powerful mobile radio will output 50 watts, will the FCC allow that high? (I see the itinerant frequency reference, it appears certain frequencies have limits of 35 watts) but some (number 4) don't have a maximum specified. I don't think we'll need 50 watts most of the time, but on occasion I could see it would be helpful if it's allowed.)))

This varies. Some frequencies have tighter restrictions on power and use (that sometimes varies on location) than others. If you search the FCC part 90 rules for itinerant frequencies, it has a frequency table that tells you what the restrictions are for specific frequencies that have them.

ahnooie

You can get licensed for as many frequencies as you want for that....

Thank you, that table took a while to understand but I think I picked out some frequencies. I'll try to apply for a few in each band and see if it works. One thing I'm not sure on is there are three fields related to frequency on the application: Lower or Center Frequency, Upper Frequency, and Frequency Carrier. What is the difference between these?

Thanks.

W2NJS

Hire a consultant who will take your information and your money and get you your license The only problem I see is that a Part 90 license requires that you have a business and on the application for the license you explain in a few words how you'll be using the radios. An FCC Part 90 license is not intended for use by families and casual users. There are other license classifications for those kinds of uses, so you'll want to leave the "family" stuff off the application and just talk about using the radios in your business.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

Hire a consultant who will take your information and your money and get you your license )))
But why? If the OP is willing to go here to ask how to do it, it sounds to me like they can fill out an application for the itins. It's time consuming to find them all and enter each one into the license but you can either pay someone for their time or learn how to do it yourself. It's not like the FCC doesn't give you instructions on how to do it and also include a free telephone hotline for you to call if you have questions. The online system ULS spits out errors and tells you how to correct them and if you still botch it, they send you a letter telling you what you did wrong.

(((The only problem I see is that a Part 90 license requires that you have a business and on the application for the license you explain in a few words how you'll be using the radios.)))

Did the OP say they will be using the radios for personal use? While it's intended to be used for business, a business name isn't required. There are numerous part 90 licenses in the names of individuals. Eligibility statement can be extremely vague.... e.g. "Radios to coordinate housekeeping activities" or "Radios to coordinate auto maintenance" or in the case of itins, perhaps "Radios to coordinate special events".

quarterwave

I just got grants for my company, we use industry attorney's in DC. Took 5 months. Got 2 (newer) VHF Itinerants, statewide, asked for 45 watts on those and got it.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Did the OP say they will be using the radios for personal use?

Yup, he did in his original post: (for communication with family and friends and some business)

While it's intended to be used for business, a business name isn't required. There are numerous part 90 licenses in the names of individuals. Eligibility statement can be extremely vague.... e.g. "Radios to coordinate housekeeping activities" or "Radios to coordinate auto maintenance" or in the case of itins, perhaps "Radios to coordinate special events".

Those are excellent eligibility descriptions for the OP to use. If he's applying for licenses in the IG, even just the itinerants, those should work just fine.

rapidcharger

Yup, he did in his original post: (for communication with family and friends and some business)

Yeah but it was in the first sentence. That doesn't count. :lol:
facepalm.gif

Technically it's called the business band for a reason but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't conduct business with family and friends, right?
Just don't piss off any other users (those are shared channels) and you'll be fine.

Rumpaltin

Grand Master
As for power, the max output power for any itinerant frequency is 10 watts and most are between 2 & 4 watts.

This is not true. You are mistaken.

I know this thread is old as hell but I wanted to post this information for those who may still be looking into Itinerant as an option as well as those who may be just starting to look into it.

I concur with Rapidcharger with his statement. In 2010 the FCC removed the output power restrictions on the Itinerant frequencies, you can now run full power (110 Watts, 200watts, 600watts ERP, ect,) on them if your application/use requires that. I have checked this against the FCC database for local commercial radio dealers who are licensed on most itinerant as well as other part 90 services and almost all of the Itinerants they are licensed for are listed in the ULS with the same power output and ERP as the standard part90 IG frequencies. Check out examples at the links below. Anything with an I to the right of it is an Itinerant frequency, ie, FB6I = Fixed Base itinerant.

See Examples here: ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WNUI278 - Baycom Inc. - Frequencies Summary

And here: ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WPZF272 - Nielson Investments, LLC - Frequencies Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.