It's a Mystery to Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGRK

I have a marine radio that needed to be replaced. I bought 2 new radios and programmed the proper frequencies into each of them. Both new radios can transmit and receive to and from the old radio but the 2 new ones neither transmit nor receive between themselves. What can the problem be? It's a mystery to me. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think we need a clarification:
This is in the Amateur Radio forum, as in the hobby amateur radio.
You are talking about a "marine radio" (VHF Marine or HF Marine?)
Then you mention "programmed proper frequencies into both of them". Marine radios come pre-programmed for the ITU specified marine VHF frequencies and do not require programming. Radios that require programming are usually amateur radios or commercial radios.

Sounds like you are talking about 3 different not necessarily compatible radio services. Giving us more details would help immensely.

NGRK

I think we need a clarification:
This is in the Amateur Radio forum, as in the hobby amateur radio.
You are talking about a "marine radio" (VHF Marine or HF Marine?)
Then you mention "programmed proper frequencies into both of them". Marine radios come pre-programmed for the ITU specified marine VHF frequencies and do not require programming. Radios that require programming are usually amateur radios or commercial radios.

Sounds like you are talking about 3 different not necessarily compatible radio services. Giving us more details would help immensely.

I posted to this forum because I thought the amateur radio forum would have some knowledgeable people who could answer the question for me. Even though marine radios are not in the amateur spectrum, the principals of radio would remain the same as far as I know. Unless I'm mistaken, it's not illegal to program your programmable radio to the marine frequencies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unless I'm mistaken, it's not illegal to program your programmable radio to the marine frequencies.

You may be mistaken.

Depending on what country you live in, the rules can vary. If you are in the USA, FCC Type Acceptance is something you need to consider. The FCC Part 80 (Marine radio) rules require that all radios used in the service have a Type Certification for Part 80 use. 80.203 covers that:

Radios intended for use in the amateur radio hobby rarely have any type certification on their transmitters, as it's not required.
"Commercial" radios often only have Part 90.
A -lot- of the cheap Chinese radios have no type certification.

So, depending on exactly what radio you are using and where you are using it, it may very well be illegal to program those into your radio.

No one is trying to bust you over this. We're attempting to gather enough information so we can provide you with an accurate answer. What you chose to do or not do with that info is entirely up to you. None of us are the "radio police" here, and most of us really don't care what you do. We will, for the most part, attempt to accurately answer your questions.

NGRK

You may be mistaken.

Depending on what country you live in, the rules can vary. If you are in the USA, FCC Type Acceptance is something you need to consider. The FCC Part 80 (Marine radio) rules require that all radios used in the service have a Type Certification for Part 80 use. 80.203 covers that:

Radios intended for use in the amateur radio hobby rarely have any type certification on their transmitters, as it's not required.
"Commercial" radios often only have Part 90.
A -lot- of the cheap Chinese radios have no type certification.

So, depending on exactly what radio you are using and where you are using it, it may very well be illegal to program those into your radio.

No one is trying to bust you over this. We're attempting to gather enough information so we can provide you with an accurate answer. What you chose to do or not do with that info is entirely up to you. None of us are the "radio police" here, and most of us really don't care what you do. We will, for the most part, attempt to accurately answer your questions.
Thanks for the information.

K9DWB

QRT
The closest to radio policing I get is to consume coffee and donuts while sitting near my Yaesu FT3D.

Had we got to the part yet where we ask "which radios do you have?".

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think this should probably go in one of the Commercial Radio forums.

To the OP, if your radio is a brand listed (Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, etc.), please post your question in the appropriate brand-specific forum. If it's not one of those brands, post in Industry Discussion. Either way, provide as much information as you can: make and model of the radio, what frequencies you are trying to program, at a minimum.

And, with that, I'm locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.