It's all about the antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
One happy campa' here today; Being born again into this hobby I never really set up my shack beyond a couple of handhelds and rubber duckie antennas. Well, what a fool I've been!!!! I just put up a 16 solid element disc cone (1-877-transel for $27.00, R shack wanted $74.00) on a 5 foot tripod and a 21 foot mast approximately 30 feet from the ground for a grand total of 54.5 feet in the air. I hooked it up to my new AOR 8200 Mk3 and what did I hear in the first two minutes????? A nice lady ordering a happy meal 3 miles away!!!!!! (457.5125) OOOHHHHHHHHH BOY THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ordered some more of antennas...........

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Height is just about everything. Followed distant second by not being too crappy an antenna and not having too lossy a line.

WouffHong

Hmmm..

One happy campa' here today; Being born again into this hobby I never really set up my shack beyond a couple of handhelds and rubber duckie antennas. Well, what a fool I've been!!!! I just put up a 16 solid element disc cone (1-877-transel for $27.00, R shack wanted $74.00) on a 5 foot tripod and a 21 foot mast approximately 30 feet from the ground for a grand total of 54.5 feet in the air. I hooked it up to my new AOR 8200 Mk3 and what did I hear in the first two minutes????? A nice lady ordering a happy meal 3 miles away!!!!!! (457.5125) OOOHHHHHHHHH BOY THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ordered some more of antennas...........

Went to transeltech site and could not find that "16 solid element disc cone " for $27.00

Did I miss something - do you have a web address for source - phone# you show not transeltech either. :-(
MAc

N

N_Jay

I had that disc cone and it did a good job for what it's made for, but I jump on the hype bandwagon for the ST2 antenna and it perform about the same as that ebay disc cone and both were in 40ft in the air with lmr 400. Like N_Jay said height,distant and cable "lmr 400" that is :p

RG-6 for RX. ;)

The saved money can go into more height.

Status
Not open for further replies.