It's like choosing between my children. (SDS100 or 200) Can't decide!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Is there a way to recharge the battery pack in the SDS100 during a power outage?
It's a standard USB 5volt connector as a charger port on the SDS100. Any of those hundreds, if not thousands, of different battery banks that have USB charging ports will work.

/Ubbe

Thanks guys! 200 it is! (If I get buyers remorse it will be a good excuse to get the 100 later as well!)

I'm thinking of buying from Bearcat Warehouse? Everyone is back ordered until early/Mid July. I also need to purchase using PayPal. I tried a couple of other companies but they don't seem to answer their phones. Also I'm in Tucson, Arizona

I would not delay, purchase now to reserve a unit! The demand now is unreal. Even the optional 830B Antenna is on a back order (got one from EBay).

I will say Bearcat Warehouse has been good with communication regarding ‘delayed shipment’. I purchased my SDS200 on June 11 with BW and it will ship out 1st week of July (estimate). The delay from Uniden is not BW fault. They have emailed updates on the shipment status and when they expect to get them out. With the help of forum member suggestions, I purchased my SDS200 with DRM programming (DRM out of the 3 Uniden optional softwares).

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to recharge the battery pack in the SDS100 during a power outage?
A decent-sized battery pack might do it. The SDS battery packs quite a punch. You might just get a second battery with a separate charger and always keep one charged.

As for choosing children, opt for the one who'll pick the best nursing home.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't it 500mA as max charge current and the scanner itself requires around 750mA, so a total of 1250mA needed to run and charge at the same time?

/Ubbe
At least two of my battery packs have 2+amps output.

I hope you ordered yesterday. See today that anything ordered from the 26th on will not ship until the 3rd or 4th week in July. It’s the same for every Uniden authorized dealer (unreal demand for SDS model scanners).

WN8T

Premium Subscriber
I have a bunch of big LiPo's for my drones. Also a nice generator and DC power cable for the Hummer. If I feel like it's cramping my style I might just have to get a SDS-100 as well! (Don't tell my wife). Can't wait for the SDS-200 to get here. Backorder is killing me!

bobruzzo

W1AV
I have the 200 and I like it. I do wonder about the 100 and how it works as a portable with P25 simulcast areas. I would think since the freq is 800mhz and antenna short that reception would be really sporadic, picket fencing, missed calls, bad decode.......How do these radios work as portables? I was at one point thinking of getting one for when wife & I go on day trips on weekends.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
I took my 100 on a 400 mile road trip around the state using an external GPS and external antenna. Worked AMAZINGLY well tracking the state-wide system (Indiana). Since then I take it mobile with the Remtronix Scanner Antenna (I'm in a simulcast area (Indianapolis)) and it's rock solid. No need for an external antenna when I'm out and about running errands.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
I would not let the screen size be the deciding point if you are a bit tech savvy. I have the SDS100 but I don't look at the screen itself. I have it connected to a PC with Proscan running, so my interface is is the PC itself.

I also use it remotely from an iPad with the audio over Bluetooth so I can roam around at home and control it if I wanted.

So I have a much better experience in using it at home than the SDS200, and can take the SDS100 portable if I needed to.

Just sharing some ideas :)

cptnljm

I am also in my late 60's and have had scanners since I was a kid.

I got the 100 about a month ago and have no regrets. The portability is what sold me, and since I am in the NY/NJ area there is always plenty to listen to. If my wife is in the living room and I am in the shed or my man cave I can just pick it up and take it with me, as she is not always a big fan, although never really complains about it. A 200 would be nice, but it would be based in one room, but perhaps one day!

With COVID I have been commuting to the office in NYC by car, most times spending more than an hour each way, and so I just place it in the cup holder and get great reception in both states with my Remontrix antenna. I also have the 100 in a leather case bought from Scanner Master, which seems to provide great protection. Setting up the favorite lists was key, and I have to turn the car radio lower than I normally like to listen to it, but all in all, I am very satisfied. Perhaps one day soon I will treat myself to an installed external speaker in my Explorer.

So far, I am very satisfied with the Uniden technology and hope to get many years of listening pleasure!! I hope you all enjoy as well, and thanks to all for the sage and practical advice which was so helpful in getting me started with setting up & programming the 100 and using the Sentinel software !

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I will say that I have been a naysayer of the SDS100 since it was released. I thought, there is no way I will ever pay that much for a scanner no matter what. Fast forward, simulcast has hit me hard and fast since my state system switched to it in the county where I work about three weeks ago. Also the county moved from analog UHF to the same system, so I lost much of what I listen to in one lump. I sold my 325p2 plus 436hp and bought an SDS100. To say the least, I am blown away and amazed by it's performance, audio and the amount of information it provides on the screen. So far I will say this is the best scanner I have ever owned. Time will tell how it holds up, but for now this is pure joy!

joekodak

Premium Subscriber
I have a bunch of big LiPo's for my drones. Also a nice generator and DC power cable for the Hummer. If I feel like it's cramping my style I might just have to get a SDS-100 as well! (Don't tell my wife). Can't wait for the SDS-200 to get here. Backorder is killing me!
I hope you post to let us know when you get your scanner and hope your experience is positive. I had BCD536HP for 2 years then got the SDS100 as an addition. Most times the 536 is the one I listen to in my office but I carry the SDS100 from room to room, out on the porch, sometimes in the car around town or to the beach. Both scanners are used on a daily basis. I don't have kids, so, I have lots of toys.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Well, after thinking about it a little while, i pulled the trigger and bought the SDS100 this morning along with a REM-820S antenna, if all goes well i should get it somewhere next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.