It's like choosing between my children. (SDS100 or 200) Can't decide!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WN8T

Premium Subscriber
Please help. I want to purchase a scanner TODAY. I've narrowed it down to the Uniden SDS100 or the Uniden SDS200. I understand that they are very similar (Except the 100 has no ethernet port) and the obvious that one is more portable than the other. I'm also 60 year old and need something I can see clearly.

I'm interested in hearing from 100 or 200 (and especially 100 AND 200 ) owners on which one I should buy.

The scanner is going in my Man-cave where it will probably stay unless I need to go on a secret mission in my truck lol. I don't see me carrying a scanner with me as a daily carry but it might be nice to take it along on some occasions. God I'm confused! LOL please help.

Dr. Daniel Kester
WN8T
Tucson, Arizona.

IndyScan

Always Connected...
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the 200 is for you. Bigger screen (stretched version of the 100 I believe). I have the 100 and the display is a challenge in direct sunlight but overall it's an awesome little unit. Go spend that $!!

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference- given that you will be using the scanner in one place the SDS 200 is the way to go. The SDS series of scanners are probably the best out there. There is a learning curve but if you are patient and read the manual you will be rewarded.

WN8T

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! 200 it is! (If I get buyers remorse it will be a good excuse to get the 100 later as well!)

I'm thinking of buying from Bearcat Warehouse? Everyone is back ordered until early/Mid July. I also need to purchase using PayPal. I tried a couple of other companies but they don't seem to answer their phones. Also I'm in Tucson, Arizona

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is up to the way you use it. If it stayed in your man-cave, the SDS200 would be the best choice. If you intend to use it on foot, the SDS100 is necessary.. If you only want to use it in your man-cave and vehicle, you can use a cigarette lighter power cable or a wired power cable for the SDS200. The downside to the SDS200 is that you would need an antenna on the vehicle or radio and it is more bulky to use. I had scanners on slide-in mounts in my vehicle so that they could easily be used in multiple locations and they were removable for theft protection..

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It's like choosing between my children. (SDS100 or 200) Can't decide!!!

Dr. Daniel Kester
WN8T
Tucson, Arizona.

Easy.... forget both children, and buy both scanners!!

Just kidding.;)

For very occasional "on the road use", I use the SDS200 at home and use ProScan's web server with the RJ45 LAN connection to stream full monitoring and control functions to a web browser on a tablet, or a smart phone. Works great for me, very easy to set up..

Last edited:

WN8T

Premium Subscriber
Easy.... forget both children, and buy both scanners!!

Just kidding.;)

For very occasional "on the road use", I use the SDS200 at home and use ProScan's web server to stream full monitoring and control functions to a web browser on a tablet, or a smart phone. Works great for me, very easy to set up..

That is AWESOME!

Xray

Wouldn't put much stock in screen size, either one you'll need glasses to see. I have both, if I had to get rid of one it would be the 200, I like to take it on the go occasionally.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! 200 it is! (If I get buyers remorse it will be a good excuse to get the 100 later as well!)

I'm thinking of buying from Bearcat Warehouse? Everyone is back ordered until early/Mid July. I also need to purchase using PayPal. I tried a couple of other companies but they don't seem to answer their phones. Also I'm in Tucson, Arizona

HRO has a store in Phoenix, and it looks like they take PayPal. None in stock there either right now, but is that too long of a drive from where you are when they get stock?

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016600

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm 70 and I've had caderact surgery in both eyes and the screen on the SDS200 is great! The control panel is easier to see and manipulate. The internal speaker sounds much better than the SDS100.

Scanner Master offers FREE shipping and they accept PayPal. They're out of stock at the moment but they keep them coming and going! Excellent support and a money back guarantee! (y)

myrz3

i just got the SDS100. I was the same as you, what sold me on the 100 is that i like the fact that it's battery powered. This would be nice in case of electrical outages which would allow me to listen in on the power company in my area. However, you could buy a battery back up for the sds200. I wear two hearing aids and find that the 100 sounds pretty damn good if it's within 6 feet of you, but I've heard that the 200 can be turned way up to be loud and clear to cover further distances. I also bought a Uniden external amplified speaker, and a bluetooth dongle to stream through my bluetooth hearing aids. . Actually what almost sold me on the 200 is the Ethernet and the phone app capabilities

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There's a few slight differences; but to me, the biggest is that the SDS-100 can run from its Li-Ion battery. If you don't need battery operation, the 200 sounds like a better choice for you. What I did was go to each place that sells these and put my name in a list to be emailed when they are back in stock. Scanner Master was first to email me and get the sale. But there's several other great places to buy from.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i just got the SDS100. I was the same as you, what sold me on the 100 is that i like the fact that it's battery powered. This would be nice in case of electrical outages which would allow me to listen in on the power company in my area. However, you could buy a battery back up for the sds200. I wear two hearing aids and find that the 100 sounds pretty damn good if it's within 6 feet of you, but I've heard that the 200 can be turned way up to be loud and clear to cover further distances. I also bought a Uniden external amplified speaker, and a bluetooth dongle to stream through my bluetooth hearing aids. . Actually what almost sold me on the 200 is the Ethernet and the phone app capabilities
The SDS100, being battery powered, does have it's advantages if power is lost. However, in case of an extended outage, don't forget that you can use one of the power packs, sold to recharge phones & tablets, to also give you extended run time on the SDS100, or any of the scanners that run on the 5V from USB. One of the larger ones, say 20,00mAh or more capacity, can run the scanner a day or more.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I try to think ahead, what with today's mercurial social climate, never know when a sudden road trip is in your immediate (unannounced) plans. The SDS100 would be the grab-n-go scanner for me. Just thinking convenience and neccessity. With the right mobile accessories, you'd be all set. I own both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the SDS100. I agree with a previous post, forget the kids and buy both models! ha

baj76

Uniden fanboy
I have both, And i prefer the 100....Call me crazy, But i think the 100 speaker sounds better to me, (loud and clear), The 200 speaker sounds muffled to me. Just pick one...You can't go wrong :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.