It's money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge47

I have just moved to a new VFD and need to update my scanners. I now truly need the most bang for the least bucks. A scanner that will receive 800 rebanded trunked talk groups for as cheap as i can get. Old doesn't matter.I will look for it on Ebay.
Thamks, Sarge

SCPD

QRT
Scanner

I'd get the Uniden BCD-996XT or a BCD-996p2 both great scanners the P2 will be ready for the future Phase 2 P25 but if thats not important to you get the XT.Easy to program via freescan and a great all around radio recption-wise.Check ebay for decent prices or amazon if you are buying new.

rwier

I have just moved to a new VFD and need to update my scanners. I now truly need the most bang for the least bucks. A scanner that will receive 800 rebanded trunked talk groups for as cheap as i can get. Old doesn't matter.I will look for it on Ebay.
Thamks, Sarge

I think the key word is Re-banded. I "believe" (I usually get corrected, lol) all my scanners receive 800 Trunked Multi-Site, Simulcast Systems. Re-banded? Beats me, lol.

JamesO

Except for some of the very old scanners that were released over 10 years ago like the 785D/285D and others, some can support rebanded 800 MHz with firmware upgrades.

But some of the older radios are not current and may not have 700 MHz coverage or still have limitaitons.

For handheld, I would suggest a used 396T/XT or for a mobile/fixed installation 996T/XT.

If you think you will soon need Phase 2 or DMR the 325P2 or 996P2.

QDP2012

...A scanner that will receive 800 rebanded...

For those wanting to learn more about rebanding, the Rebanding RR Wiki article answers some common questions, gives some history of the rebanding project, and has a list of scanners that do not support rebanding.

Hope this helps,

troymail

Silent Key
Thamks, Sarge

While asking for help to find a cheap "rebanded" capable radio sounds like an older trunking system (which could be digital and analog), folks can provide more specific assistance if they know some information on the system/frequencies/channels you want to monitor. Can you provide more information?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
OK- what state/county is this VFD in?

EDIT: Based on your other posts, I'm guessing Collin County, TX...
Troy,
If your guess is correct (Collin County), they have recently announced plans to update their existing Motorola Type II system to P25 Phase II and fold that into the existing PAWM system. PAWM is a Phase II system, with most TGID's Phase I for now, but they are heading toward full Phase II usage. The migration project is beginning with Plano.

troymail

Silent Key
Troy,
If your guess is correct (Collin County), they have recently announced plans to update their existing Motorola Type II system to P25 Phase II and fold that into the existing PAWM system. PAWM is a Phase II system, with most TGID's Phase I for now, but they are heading toward full Phase II usage. The migration project is beginning with Plano.

Seems like it's a different location based on his comments about moving recently but the information you've provided on Collin County is exactly why it would be best to know more information to provide the best answer.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Seems like it's a different location based on his comments about moving recently but the information you've provided on Collin County is exactly why it would be best to know more information to provide the best answer.
His comment, to me, reads that he changed (moved) to a different VFD, not necessarily moving his residence.

Plano (the lead agency in PAWM) is in the southern portion of Collin County. The VFD's in the county mostly use the county's Mot Type II system, which is being upgraded. But knowing the actual area of interest would help to give the best answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.