It's official, SDPD to encrypt ALL radio talkgroups

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
What a bummer. Where did this info come from? Is there a timeline?

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Why? Inquiry 1 and 2 have been encrypted for years. “Because they can and everyone else was doing it?”

Peter_SD911

Scan Sexy
Premium Subscriber
You would think the local media outlets would take this up and push for ongoing transparency. I guess the media has lost it's power.
It's a shame. Why even bother to cooperate with law enforcement as "partners" or as a civic duty?
Say goodnight to those overnight stringers and breaking news trackers.
You boys can now sleep during the nights.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
You would think the local media outlets would take this up and push for ongoing transparency. I guess the media has lost it's power.
It's a shame. Why even bother to cooperate with law enforcement as "partners" or as a civic duty?
Typically media gets access.

d119

Good, maybe I won't get hit by stringers driving around as if they're police.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber

The problem is, there is no such thing as "the media" anymore. When a cop watcher, or an "auditor" can legally be designated and called "the media", then you have allowed the system to become broken. It is not the "real" media that the police are encrypting to avoid, it is the anti-police members of the public that have taken to designate themselves as the media that the cops would rather not "be transparent and cooperative" with.

Good, maybe I won't get hit by stringers driving around as if they're police.

Maybe we will see even more of them dressed in those firefighter costumes they love so much up in Los Angeles? :geek:

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
We ALL need to call or write him ()AND other State CongressCritters), and make our case for NOT encrypting. There is little to NO COST to revert!!

SB1000 failed because the "who will pay for it" question was unable to be resolved satisfactorily. The radios need to be reprogrammed, which they will add up the hours to accomplish this and make it seem it is a special ADDED cost when in fact it could be rolled into a normal reflash touch operation such as when they remove old programming and put new talkgroups in.

What we need to worry about now is Mutual Aid being encrypted, which believe me patrol brass wants. As soon as every PD agency is 100% encrypted, the excuse to keep M/A in the clear for radios lacking encryption will not be viable enough to prevent it from happening. Now is the time to beg the RCS not to do that, because once they go black, they don't go back.

Paul

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
This is absolutely correct. I would imagine that once you allow even one member of the media to have an ENC radio, there could be a long line of people with blogs or YouTube channels demanding the same access. Unlike traditional "press credentials" used to grant special access to a press conference (in a room with limited space) or a crime scene or courtroom gallery, it would be very difficult to claim that only a select few media representatives can reasonably be given ENC radios because of access constraints (i.e. when a single talkgroup is used by 10,000+ subscribers in a large agency).

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
This is absolutely correct. I would imagine that once you allow even one member of the media to have an ENC radio, there could be a long line of people with blogs or YouTube channels demanding the same access. Unlike traditional "press credentials" used to grant special access to a press conference (in a room with limited space) or a crime scene or courtroom gallery, it would be very difficult to claim that only a select few media representatives can reasonably be given ENC radios because of access constraints (i.e. when a single talkgroup is used by 10,000+ subscribers in a large agency).

Need to remember that these agencies may claim full encryption due to meeting the CLETS mandate, the real reason is they simply do not want anyone listening to them...would you want someone listening to your phone calls?

This leads to no possibility of media or anyone else getting access to encrypted radios, as the agencies have made it their official position that the dispatch channels are encrytped to comply with CLETS, and media are not able to receive CLETS information, ergo, no media access ever. I am working on a plan to beg the RCS to add a "Clearcom" patch talkgroup that would only need to be added the system controller and a few agency dispatch consoles. This would allow an agency, if it wished to participate, to PATCH their dispatch channel temporarily to a talkgroup specifically for this prpose. The RCS has a lot of rules and policies stating what the current mutual aid talkgroups can be used for, so making a new one is the easiest solution. This would be better for media if this "Clearcom" talkgroup was ENCRYPTED with a media specific key. The RCS will not put an AES256 capable Unication G4 pager on, only authorized radios such as APX and Kenwood Phase II equipmnet. This would weed out the cop watchers who cannot afford a new or used APX with flashcode matching tags for all options. An unencrypted Clearcom talkgroup wuld be beter in general, for the public, but like gun control if you push for too much then you get nothing. If you want cooperation of an agency, which is MANDATORY for this, then making that talkgroup encrypted makes a lot more sense.

Paul

d119

Riverside County was allowing "media members" to have encrypted radios on the system a few years ago, not sure if that changed or not.