• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Its that time of year again: Daylight Savings Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanManQSL

QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
Its that time of year again to change your clocks. This Sunday March 9 is when we loose an extra hour of sleep. Spring forward to Daylight Saving Time, fall backward to Standard time.

REMEMBER its that time a year again to CHANGE YOUR SMOKE ALARM BATTERIES

Change Your Clock, Change Your Battery Get Into the Life-Saving Habit

Last edited:

RedPenguin

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm

Maybe I have a semi-thick mind, but how are you technically losing an hour anyway?

I mean, you still go to work/school at the same time and go to bed at the same time.

So I never 100% understood how you actually lose an hour, like it just disappears off the Earth.

EDIT: I just thought about it, is it just technically the first day/night that you change it, that this hour is either "lost" or "gained"?

Last edited:

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
RedPenguin said:
Maybe I have a semi-thick mind, but how are you technically losing an hour anyway?
You aren't really losing the hour, but you're moving it to a date in the fall. The clock will go from 1:59 to 3:00. The hour between 2 and 3 doesn't exist on the day the change happens.

RedPenguin said:
I mean, you still go to work/school at the same time and go to bed at the same time.
That's because the change happens at a time when most people are asleep, so it doesn't really affect anything. If it happened at noon you'd have to change the times things happen during the day. Overnight shifts often have different hours on time change days for that reason.

mikepdx

ScanManQSL said:
Its that time of year again to change your clocks.
Spring forward to Daylight Saving Time, fall backward to Standard time.
Arizonans:
Unless you want to be an hour late for work on Monday,
don't touch that clock!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Daylight Saving Time

It is called
Daylight Saving Time

We lose an hour because we switch away from standard time.
This was not supposed to happen until the last Sunday in March, but our Congress feels that they can fix everything with legislation. The late move to Standard time this past fall proved no change in energy usage (or perhaps an actual increase), not the decrease they expected.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't matter to Congress. Like Pharoh's line from the classic movie "The Ten Commandments"

"So let it be written, so let it be done."

I recall reading why Arizona (YEAH) got an exemption to the DST change. They were able to convince Congress that adding an hour of daylight would actually INCREASE energy usage in the state.

Later afternoon in the desert summer pulls a lot of energy for air conditioners. Having the sun go down at 10 PM rather than 9 PM would mean longer time for running those AC's. If people were up and moving before the hottest part of the day and went to bed a bit earlier, then AC usage (and thus energy usage) would if not go down, at least remain the same.

Whatever the reason, I personally loathe DST. But then I lived in AZ for nearly a decade and loved not having to change clocks all the time. When I was in college and did a summer of summer school, one couldn't even go to the drive in theater before the curfew for the girls. :(

"We learned about love in the back of a Dodge, the lesson hadn't gone too far"

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I wish they would just move the clocks ahead a half hour, and then just leave them that way, year 'round. :mad:

bpckty1

So, do night shift workers get OT pay when going on to DST, and get docked an hour when going back to DWT(Daylight Wasting Time)?

vsny

Wise a** I am, I liked W4KRR response....but, like scannerpro said, let's just stop this. I don't remember but I THINK we are the only country that does this routine...

ibagli

Premium Subscriber
bpckty1 said:
So, do night shift workers get OT pay when going on to DST, and get docked an hour when going back to DWT(Daylight Wasting Time)?
That's exactly how it works for some.

elk2370bruce

ibagli said:
Did the original use of DST even change energy usage?
Some studies by UCLA and USFTC, we actually consume more daily energy while we are in DST. Another hold-over from a simpler, agrarian time on our history - kinda like the September-June school year.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
mikepdx said:
Arizonans:
Unless you want to be an hour late for work on Monday,
don't touch that clock!
Actually you would be an hour early. If you move it foward an hour then it will be 8AM at 7AM (or whatever time you want to use in AZ) so you would actually be an hour early. Now if you kept doing that all throughout the DST and then fell back you wouldn't be an hour late either because you would now be on time, you would just be an hour early every day in DST. lol. Now if never "sprung foward" then you "fell back" you would be an hour late.

bpckty1

One of the best comments on DST is in today's (March 7) Crankshaft Cartoon:

Bus Driver: One thing the longer daylight saving will do...
It'll mean that come November, little kids and their parents will be waiting for school busses in the freezing cold in the middle of the night.

Crankshaft: Big Deal... So there's an upside.

Batiuk & Ayers

LEH

Premium Subscriber
vsny said:
Wise a** I am, I liked W4KRR response....but, like scannerpro said, let's just stop this. I don't remember but I THINK we are the only country that does this routine...
Nope, Europe (at least England) has its 'Summer' time. I forget what I did in Germany. Does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.