Its utterly ridiculous that a small town like Tarboro is encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

Could be many thing that caused them to encrypt. Unless you ask them you will never know for sure.
I asked a Gatlinburg TN police officer why they chose to use NXDN digital, he told me it was because people where using online streaming to monitor them with cell phones. He said it before the change, it was less likely that anyone committing a crime had a scanner because of it's physical size, but with cell phones that was a different story.
This is what I was told by an officer, not my opinion.

reconrider8

thing about tarboro if im not mistaken (and correct me if im wrong here) is they arnt fully encrypted last time i was through that way they were still open somewhat

jackj

The prevailing public service mentality seems to be that the folks who pay the bills don't need to know what's going on. Effective and affordable encryption has only been available for the last 20-25 yrs, all public service RF communication before that was in the clear and I don't remember it being a major problem for law enforcement. But if anyone published or made available over-the-air traffic, they would have a major problem on their hands. The FCC could, and did, issue high cost fines and long jail terms for those who did. Maybe we should go back to putting a few of these public service feed suppliers in the poor house and/or jail.

mrkelso

So rustle up a few of the towns people and file a law suit like they are doing in Ar i think it was.

KK4TTR

Really, what is their reasoning behind it. We are not even talking a small city here.

I'm sure the decision was prompted by the availability of federal funds to pay for it.

I saw this coming, and haven't invested heavily in APCO 25 for that very reason. If they can encrypt, they will.

I'm sure the only reason VIPER isn't encrypted, yet, is because it would raise the public ire.

Doing it piece meal one little town at a time, will allow them to switch to encryption statewide when they're ready, and it's a done deal.

It's too bad, too, since the public isn't allowed to encrypt. Do they think they are, or above, the law?

Homeland Security.... whose?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what the size of a town would have to do with using encryption. Maybe being so small, makes it more affordable to do so?

Here in Michigan, I think that's been the biggest roadblock to encryption. The cost would be prohibitive!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Really, what is their reasoning behind it. We are not even talking a small city here.

Funny how the majority of your posts here at RR.com
follow the same formula:

http://forums.radioreference.com/north-dakota-radio-discussion-forum/259229-encrypted.html:

LOL wow Bismarck is encrypted.

What a joke

http://forums.radioreference.com/rants/261392-digital-just-disgrace-scanning-hobby.html:

I thought trunking was bad, but after hearing digital it makes analog trunking seem like a trip to Disney World.

Digital sounds like total crap half the time and usually the signals are so weak its on par with a kids walkie talkie. Just like digital tv which only gets out 10 miles max. And you half to get the complete signal or nothing. No in between. Not to mention a digital scanner is ridiculously expensive.

Digital is just about the final nail in the coffin for scanning.

I doubt I swill steer my 2 year old nephew to the hobby that I grew up with in the 90s.

Wouldnt be surprised If everything is encrypted by then anyway.

http://forums.radioreference.com/north-carolina-radio-discussion-forum/259243-tarboro-just-takes-cake.html

LOL at a Mayberry town being encrypted. Who do they think they are.

And I always thought how weird for such a tiny town that its been trunked as long as Rocky Mount has (Around 1989-90)

http://forums.radioreference.com/north-carolina-radio-discussion-forum/234987-edgecombe-county-viper.html#post1731446:

Who the hell does the Tarboro police think they are? Digital AND Encryption for a 10,000 population town? Unreal.

http://forums.radioreference.com/virginia-radio-discussion-forum/233226-i-can-hear-everything-my-area-any-scanner-ever-made.html

Viper652 said:
Jellous? I feel sorry for so many of you with all this digital crap. Slowly but surely killing the hobby. And If you think digital is bad, wait until encryption.

Hopefully my area stays VHF\UHF forever.

There is a reason you are on permanent moderation.....quit with the troll posts or you will find yourself banned instead of on moderation.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.