ITT Aerospace AN/GRR-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

I have been in facilities with them (recently) and have used them, but I have never been inside one. Single channel mil UHF receiver covering 225 to 400 MHz. I think in 50 kHz steps. The synth to select the channel should be under the door on the right side of the unit. There was another nearly identical model that covered VHF. There was a matching transmitter if I remember right, for both the VHF and UHF models. I would venture to say still in use at some locations, but I suspect most/many have been replaced.

T!

zguy1243

I have been in facilities with them (recently) and have used them, but I have never been inside one. Single channel mil UHF receiver covering 225 to 400 MHz. I think in 50 kHz steps. The synth to select the channel should be under the door on the right side of the unit. There was another nearly identical model that covered VHF. There was a matching transmitter if I remember right, for both the VHF and UHF models. I would venture to say still in use at some locations, but I suspect most/many have been replaced.

T!

Thanks for the reply Token.

I have a few of the GRR 24's (UHF models) and GRR 23's (VHF models)There is a company on Ebay selling these as surplus now.. All of the ones I have are just the receivers. All of them also have the ITT digi channel synthesizer installed so they are frequency agile by tuning the dials and not changing the crystal. Many of the "Rivet Switch" com sites are still there and have not got a equipment upgrade yet. I am in need of power cables for the radios that I have and possibly a user manual or something similar. I have all of the radios racked up just like they were in the com site. the radios are still marked with the frequency tags, 228.9, 364.2 and so on. So I am assuming these came from one of the WADS or EADS sites when they upgraded. I had planned on setting them to common active freqs like 121.5, 364.2, 243.0, 255.4 etc. and just leaving them run 24/7. I am guessing they will be good receivers with good sensitivity?

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have had my hands in a few of them, but they were not my primary gear.

They were used for VHF air band on the aircraft carrier I was on, and both VHF and UHF at the Naval Air Station I was stationed at.

They are rather good radios, although not very modern. They will require some maintenance, to stay useful.

zguy1243

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have had my hands in a few of them, but they were not my primary gear.

They were used for VHF air band on the aircraft carrier I was on, and both VHF and UHF at the Naval Air Station I was stationed at.

They are rather good radios, although not very modern. They will require some maintenance, to stay useful.

Thanks for the reply. I did get a couple of them working. I can say they are every bit as sensitive as the AR5000 or Icom R8500. I like the squelch hysteresis, very accurate. The received audio is nice and full, the highs and lows are we defined and not tinny or muffled like some scanners or receivers.

I bypassed the all the internal bandpass filters and antenna connections and used my own filtering. The radios solidly outperform any scanner and are even or a little better than the high end amatuer com receivers I have . Not a bad deal for a few dollars surplus!

Last edited:

Fast1eddie

Wow, I remember going to Signal School for a 2 week class for the GRR family as our unit would be eventually supporting them. I recall them being fairly straightforward and not too bad to work on. The alignments were touchy but once done right, you had a nice performing radio. I also remember we drank a lot on that TDY....lady snake dancer at the bobby bar chased us out with a snake. Miss them days.

Status
Not open for further replies.