iTunes backup to flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannaMan9

Hello
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I figured electronics was the best place for it

Anyway, I recently purchased an iPad Mini, and not to long after using the device I received an email "Your iCloud storage is almost full." I knew this was coming because I also have an iPhone 4S and iPod touch 4G, and only 5GB of cloud storage. Now I was reviewing my options and the only way to get more cloud storage is to pay for it... I don't want to pay every year for storage I mostly won't use

I know that I can backup to the computer, but my question is can I plug in my Apple device to the computer (I have both Windows and Mac) and instead of using my hard drive, tell iTunes to use an external Flash drive?

Basically what I want to do is to plug in my iPhone or iPad and have iTunes say, the external hard drive is plugged in. I'm going to backup to this instead of the built in SSD.

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated

SCPD

QRT
I do not believe it is possible to change the locations of device backups in iTunes. They appear to be hard coded. I imagine your goal is to preserve space on your SSD.

First thing I would try is using an alias to point the default backup locations to somewhere else (e.g., your flash drive).

More info...

iTunes: About iOS backups

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
As others have indicated not as asked.

However, and this is my take on the situation. When you sync your mobile devices with iTunes that program syncs the data to Contact, Calendar ect. programs on the Mac. From each application that data can be backed-up or copied where you want.

More a work around than something easily done daily.
Mike

P.S. Looked at the link into Apple on backup and realized the scope is bigger than I was aware. I guess it depends on what you want done and how.

Hello
snip...
Basically what I want to do is to plug in my iPhone or iPad and have iTunes say, the external hard drive is plugged in. I'm going to backup to this instead of the built in SSD.

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.