BCD325P2/BCD996P2: I've got some issues, (3 scanners to get what I want?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonScannerGuy

Premium Subscriber
Evening to all. This is where I'm at.

I've got a BC125AT that picks up transmissions quicker than the BCT15x and BCD996P2 but it does not pick up all calls.

I've got the BCT15x that has the Pol/DOT/HP that allows me to hear car to car, state highway, workers and such with the touch of a button and it turns off just as easy.

I've got the (New) BCD996P2 that has all the upgrades and is digital. My hope was that it would pick up as quick as the BC125AT, (it doesn't) Would still allow me to toggle Pol/DOT/HP like the BCT15X (haven't found the option) and explore new digital stuff (I'm sure I will with time)

A bit about my setup, I have a tram 1410 with a 50ft run of RG-213/u with appropriate terminations (no adapters) and my antenna is on a 10 ft PVC pipe @ the highest point of my roof (2 story home with unused attic space) with LOS of PD Towers. I got all my frequencies directly from RR via subscription and I've turned my delay to 0 and hold to 2.

Why would the oldest of the scanners (BC125AT) pick up some (not all but enough) channels quicker than the higher end digital?

So as an example. Say the transmission goes, "Nora 111, 10-41" Dispatch "10-4". This is what I hear on my handheld, however on my base scanners I tend to just hear the end of Nora or just dispatch saying 10-4.

Very open to suggestions and information on what I may be doing wrong. I have a paid copy of Proscan that I use to change settings and upload systems.

K4EET

Chaplain
AnonScannerGuy, welcome to Radio Reference!

Is the BC125AT always first to receive calls? Never second or third? There is a lot going on here inside those three scanners. We would need to know how these scanners are programmed, where you live with respect to the various sites that you are receiving, etc. So far, you have not given us much to work with... Since you have ProScan, please post the HPD files that you have these scanners programmed with. Thanks!

Cheers! Dave

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
On the 996P2, set to analog only for the frequencies you are monitoring on the 125AT. For the 15X and 996P2, do you have anything else programmed that you do not have in the 125AT.

K4EET

Chaplain
tvengr corrected me in another thread. We need the HPE file, not HPD. Also, apparently you have to zip it before posting it here too. Sorry for the confusion but I stay confused. LOL! Dave

AnonScannerGuy

Premium Subscriber
tvengr corrected me in another thread. We need the HPE file, not HPD. Also, apparently you have to zip it before posting it here too. Sorry for the confusion but I stay confused. LOL! Dave

Here is the file you requested. I'm trying to sort out the digital cutting out mid transmission as if its losing signal. I hope this helps where I'm currently too ignorant to explain the issues.

Attachments

• AnonScannerGuy BCD996P2.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 6

AnonScannerGuy

Premium Subscriber
How is the 996 programmed? If it has more channels to scan it might not get around to the frequency in question before until the transmission is already in progress.

The 996 doesn't have the same service search capabilities as the older scanners. Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual

I now have it set up so they are both using the same amount of frequencies and its helping a bit but the portable seems to grab them a bit quicker. Much improved though.

Now I'm dealing with losing signal in the middle of calls on some channels. I assume this is digital and I'm looking into it on the forum.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Not sure if this helps, but I separate my scanners according to:
1) Trunking/Digital/P25 with my BCD996P2 and SDS200 and
2) Analog with my BCT15X, Motorola XTS3000 on Scan Function, and an SDR-Dongle.
I do not repeat any frequencies/ID's/Groups/Favorites on the 5 sources, my digital and analog do not "cross-pollinate".

tvengr

Well Known Member
One thing I see so far: Enter Altoona Public Schools as DMR instead of conventional. That will allow you to enter the color code, talkgroup ID, and slot. I would also try locking out Altoona Public Schools and scan only the analog frequencies to see if that improves scanning.

AnonScannerGuy

Premium Subscriber
One thing I see so far: Enter Altoona Public Schools as DMR instead of conventional. That will allow you to enter the color code, talkgroup ID, and slot. I would also try locking out Altoona Public Schools and scan only the analog frequencies to see if that improves scanning.
I've removed that it didn't set up as dmr, now I don't have the signal fade out on random frequencies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It's tough to make direct comparisons between 3 different scanners like these. The only commonality is that they're all Unidens. Unless you have 3 identical models programmed with the same frequencies and connected to the same antenna, direct comparisons are challenging. Both the 15X and the 996P2 use a different memory architecture than the 125AT. The receivers may have differing sensitivity levels which may cause a variation in how quickly they break squelch. And speaking of that, you should check your squelch levels on all 3 to adjust them as low as possible. Also ensure you don't have either priority or Close Call activated on either of the 3.

ilgrant

Reference to the time to 'pick up' transmissions...On the 996P2 there is a delay setting that determines when the scanner will 'open' up on a conventional analog channel. The default time is set at 400 ms in the Digital Wait time setting. This setting can be adjusted to 0 if desired. The setting is available only when the modulation type is set for 'All'. (It could also be called P25 wait time depending on the firmware version, I think.)

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you set the audio type to analog or digital, the scanner doesn't need to waste time determining what it is. An older scanner may not have to make that decision if it is analog only. If you are using a "green" external amplified speaker, you may lose the beginning of a transmission while waiting for it to turn on.

wtp

how about the setting of...
delay to 2
hold to 0
delay is for waiting for a response.
hold is how long is stays on the system, zero just means scan a conventional system once, and about 2 seconds for a trunked system for "housekeeping".

Status
Not open for further replies.