I've just been reminded of one reason I originally got out of the radio hobby, now that I'm back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased an RTL-SDR radio dongle. Yeah, it was inexpensive... but now I've already spent over that initial purchase amount on F to SMA adapters, gender changers and a secondary antenna hookup cable. Now in next round looks to be an LNA and a DC block. I've fallen down the rabbit hole again. This time around I'm going to show a little bit more restraint...

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
That's why I don't own a boat anymore. The word boat stands for... Bust out another thousand LOL.
When I was growing up my Dad had a small boat that we used for water skiing. I remember every single time we took it, something broke. It was often the throttle controls but sometimes something else. Every Single Time LOL

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well getting back to scanning LOL it is the same concept as a boat, radio hobby has always been like that. So many toys but it's
accessories that really get you. Not enough money left at the end of the month, or is it too much month left at the end of the money? oh, you get the point.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased an RTL-SDR radio dongle. Yeah, it was inexpensive... but now I've already spent over that initial purchase amount on F to SMA adapters, gender changers and a secondary antenna hookup cable. Now in next round looks to be an LNA and a DC block. I've fallen down the rabbit hole again. This time around I'm going to show a little bit more restraint...
You'd have to accessorize the hell out of your SDR to get even half way to the cost of an SDS200. But yes, the radio hobby can be a deep financial pit. For some on this forum, that pit is a whole lot deeper than for others. But that doesn't mean you can't have as much enjoyment as they do.

xg100p

the question is , What do you plan on doing with it? I have several sticks and monitor with just them no other accessories. Are you just scanning or monitoring HF bands and such?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
the question is , What do you plan on doing with it? I have several sticks and monitor with just them no other accessories. Are you just scanning or monitoring HF bands and such?
Several sticks? Can you hook them up to visually cover a wider swath of the spectrum?

TomLine

I've tried everything in the book except for satellites with my RTL-SDR. The software I use the most is SDR# (sdrsharp) and SDR-TRUNK.

Still can't find the transmit button in SDR#...

Status
Not open for further replies.