I've just been reminded of one reason I originally got out of the radio hobby, now that I'm back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Add computers, cameras, and RC planes/drones to bearcatrp's list of other expensive hobbies.
Forgot about my drone and computers I build. Dam. Way to many hobbies. Drone is collecting dust since the new rules on transponders went into effect. Sucks buying radios, use them a bit to find out it just not what your looking for. Should have kept the IC 705 but it just wasn’t there for me.

CrabbyMilton

That's why I don't own a boat anymore. The word boat stands for... Bust out another thousand LOL.

I never owned a boat and never had an interest in fishing but about 20 years ago, I bought an electric outboard. That way I could go to up this lake that I spent many fun weeks as a kid, rent a rowboat and attach the motor and "drive" around part of the lake. After a few times, I lost interest and now that motor just sits in the basement. Not enough power to get the boat out of it's own way but a step up from rowing.
The old saying is that the second happiest day of a man's life is when he buys a boat. The happiest day is when he gets rid of it.

CrabbyMilton

If you think this gets expensive, don't even think about astronomy and astroimaging......
Golf too. I recently got interested in golf and there is a hidden par-3 course near my house. So I played a game a few weeks ago and I stunk. The other day I felt rushed and was even worse and got disgusted after 3 holes and left. I may try again when I'm in a better mood but it amazes me the tons of money that people spend on clubs when I find the clubs were old 40 years ago that have been sitting in the basement forever seem to work when I do get focused. Then there are these country clubs$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If you think this gets expensive, don't even think about astronomy and astroimaging......
Forgot about that too. Spent $400 on a meade telescope, probably $1000 on eye pieces and yes, a camera to hook up to a laptop. Also, had a couple SxS, atv's. Bet most of us would be millionaires if we had NOT bought all these hobbies. Like they say, you can't take it with you so might as well enjoy it.

GB46

Or RVing. Been there, done that ... undid that! Not only are RVs themselves expensive to buy, they're expensive to own due to the cheaply made plastic accessories found in even the most expensive models. Lots of things need to be replaced frequently, and because those accessories and parts are specialized, you're charged more than they're worth. For example, one of those plastic plumbing fixtures can cost way more than the conventional brass or copper equivalent for home use. Plastic parts on the outside of the rig usually get brittle from exposure to UV and crack. RV water heaters and furnaces don't last forever, either, and are very expensive, as are RV fridges.

Last but not least, you can pay enormous fees for staying at an RV park. All you really get for your money is a parking space; most of the time you pay extra for electrical hookups. Some RV parks here in Canada stay open during the winter, so that you have to protect your water line from freezing solid.

GB46

Getting back to the radio hobby, it's relatively cheap, but I think it can be as expensive as you make it. If you insist on the latest and greatest, that's where the expense comes in, but depending on what you want to do with your radio, you may not need a newer one. My Icom R6 is the only scanner I own; I bought it a year ago to replace a previous scanner that had bit the dust. For shortwave I'm still using an Icom R75 that I bought roughly 21 years ago. There's no need to upgrade, because it does everything I want it to. I also bought a portable shortwave radio 3 years ago to gain independence from AC power, but I don't take it anywhere these days, so now it only serves as a backup radio.

CrabbyMilton

I'll never forget a THREE STOOGES episode where they were out in a the boast duck hunting. Curley somehow accidently pulls the plug in the back and the boat starts to sink. So Larry shoots two holes in it. So Moe asks why he did that and Larry says, I'm trying to let the water out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.