I've just bought an analogue scanner - already time to go digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioroo

Hello to everyone on this amazing forum!

I bought a Uniden bc75xlt last week and initially I loved it. That was until I realized I can only listen to 3 things where I live (SW Ontario):

1.One side of an ambulance conversation that is uncomfortable to listen to because between each broadcast is often a much, much louder electronic buzz/hum/fax machine type sound.

2. Snow ploughs (most depressed sounding people in town)

3. The occasional bit of chat on the HAM bands.

I've quickly tired of listening to those (as one might expect) and want to go to the next level. I have a couple of questions.

1. On my analogue scanner I get a lot of frequencies which sound like electronic buzzing/broken modem kind of sounds. Are these digital transmissions that I would be able to listen to if I went digital?

2. For $300 I can get a used Uniden BCD396XT. Is it really worth paying $200 more for the new 436hp? And can the 436 receive a lot more services than the 396?

Thanks!

N8IAA

Hello to everyone on this amazing forum!

I bought a Uniden bc75xlt last week and initially I loved it. That was until I realized I can only listen to 3 things where I live (SW Ontario):

1.One side of an ambulance conversation that is uncomfortable to listen to because between each broadcast is often a much, much louder electronic buzz/hum/fax machine type sound.

2. Snow ploughs (most depressed sounding people in town)

3. The occasional bit of chat on the HAM bands.

I've quickly tired of listening to those (as one might expect) and want to go to the next level. I have a couple of questions.

1. On my analogue scanner I get a lot of frequencies which sound like electronic buzzing/broken modem kind of sounds. Are these digital transmissions that I would be able to listen to if I went digital?

2. For $300 I can get a used Uniden BCD396XT. Is it really worth paying $200 more for the new 436hp? And can the 436 receive a lot more services than the 396?

Thanks!

Have you tried posting in the Ontario forum further down the forums page? Bet you'll get a better answer there. Also, look in the RR database to see what frequencies there are available to hear.
HTH,
Larry

radioroo

Hi guys and thanks for replying. I thought no one was going to chime in for me. I didn't post this in the Ontario forum and I know that if I now duplicate it there it'll probably be removed by the admins. I thought since this was the forum section for newbies it was the best place to put it.

I've since sold my analogue scanner, taking a $40 hit on it after a week of ownership and I'm looking at digitals. The 436 looks very good, especially for a newbie but the 396 is much more within my budget. And I found the analogue Bearcat BC75XLT to be really easy to use and program so if it's anything like that then programming will be enjoyable. I just don't know if I'm making another mistake buying an old model and if I'll end up upgrading and taking another loss.

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Do yourself a favor and get something thats new and decodes lots of formats.The 436 is probably your best bet or a used 396XT or 396T.I got a home patrol for like $250 on ebay,so it is possible.
I would look here on reference to see what you are trying to decode and see if it is doable.

London is phase 1.Middlesex is Type 2 motorola smartnet and some things in your area are Motorola TURBO(not doable without DSD) and Phase 2 P25 meaning you need the 436HP.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=4306

Last edited:

N8IAA

Hi guys and thanks for replying. I thought no one was going to chime in for me. I didn't post this in the Ontario forum and I know that if I now duplicate it there it'll probably be removed by the admins. I thought since this was the forum section for newbies it was the best place to put it.

I've since sold my analogue scanner, taking a $40 hit on it after a week of ownership and I'm looking at digitals. The 436 looks very good, especially for a newbie but the 396 is much more within my budget. And I found the analogue Bearcat BC75XLT to be really easy to use and program so if it's anything like that then programming will be enjoyable. I just don't know if I'm making another mistake buying an old model and if I'll end up upgrading and taking another loss.

Thanks

Click on the red and white triangle in the top right of your post. Ask the Mods to move it to the Ontario forum. Just that simple. I would not recommend getting the new x36HP scanners without getting input from those scannists in your area.
HTH,
Larry

radioroo

Click on the red and white triangle in the top right of your post. Ask the Mods to move it to the Ontario forum. Just that simple. I would not recommend getting the new x36HP scanners without getting input from those scannists in your area.
HTH,
Larry

I did post this thread last week but didn't get much feedback: http://forums.radioreference.com/on...london-middlesex-county-use-uniden-396-a.html It's possible there aren't many people in my county who use the newer Uniden scanners and who frequent the forum.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.