BCD436HP/BCD536HP: I've really tried....

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
....to like the BCD436HP scanner. I really have.

How is it when it comes to two scanners that practically do the same thing and are programed exactly the same way, one gets used daily and is my favorite scanner in the stable (the 536) and the other one is the red-headed stepchild that I can't stand (the 436)?

Yeah, I know, it makes no sense.

You'd think I'd like, and use, them equally, but that's not the case. I've got the 536 programmed with everything I need / want to listen to when at my desk, and the 436 has the same programming for when I go mobile, plus additional FL's for the areas I visit most. You'd think.....

I don't know if it's the display, the form factor or aliens from Mars influencing my brain, but I just can't stand to use the 436. It still goes with me when I hit the road, but so does one of my HP-1's. I'll go to the 436 first, use it for a few minutes and then HAVE to switch over to the HP-1.

Would love to get your input on this.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only one that's just totally off my gourd? :confused:

:)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
You haven't give anyone any specific reasons why you dislike the 436. :confused:
I love mine and it goes with me everywhere along side my city issued XTS 5000.
Is it perfect? No. No radio/scanner is. But it does everything I need it to do. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

How is it when it comes to two scanners that practically do the same thing and are programed exactly the same way, one gets used daily and is my favorite scanner in the stable (the 536) and the other one is the red-headed stepchild that I can't stand (the 436)?

You'd think I'd like, and use, them equally, but that's not the case. I've got the 536 programmed with everything I need / want to listen to when at my desk, and the 436 has the same programming for when I go mobile, plus additional FL's for the areas I visit most. You'd think.....

I don't know if it's the display, the form factor or aliens from Mars influencing my brain, but I just can't stand to use the 436. It still goes with me when I hit the road, but so does one of my HP-1's. I'll go to the 436 first, use it for a few minutes and then HAVE to switch over to the HP-1.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only one that's just totally off my gourd? :confused:

troymail

Silent Key

I'm somewhat the opposite - at least as far as those two radios go - I use the 436 and my 800s routinely but the 536 has been sent to stand in the corner to be ignored :D

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
You haven't give anyone any specific reasons why you dislike the 436. :confused:
I love mine and it goes with me everywhere along side my city issued XTS 5000.
Is it perfect? No. No radio/scanner is. But it does everything I need it to do. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

But that's just it. There isn't a specific reason I dislike the 436. Nothing I can point at and say for certain, "Ah ha! That's why I hate the 436!" It does everything my 536 (which I love) does, but I just don't care for it, no matter how hard I try to like it.

Like I said, it makes no sense, but it is what it is.

Boatanchor

Maybe part of the problem is that consumers are accustomed to new electronic products being smaller, lighter, have better/higher resolution color displays, longer battery life and have more features and functions than the previous generation models.

Now, lets see how the 436HP stacks up:

Form factor/Size - Fail miserably! (The 396XT wins hands down for shear portability and 'wearability')

Lighter - Fail again ref above!

Display - Fail! (Yes it may be a little bigger, but the layout totally sucks and monochrome? Who uses monochrome displays on anything nowadays? Even cordless phones and cheap Chinese ham radios now have colour LCD displays! How could Uniden go from the HP1 display and regress back to the dark ages with the 436HP display? Unbelievable!

Battery life - Unchanged? or slightly less than previous models??

Functions - I guess you would have to say that the 436HP wins in this respect. From most accounts, FMN has improved with the inclusion of a real FMN filter and P25 phase 2 has been introduced.

Since I don't have Phase 2 systems to worry about, the last item on the list, although important for some, doesn't even factor into the equation for me.. I'm sticking with my nice and compact 396XT's.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Maybe part of the problem is that consumers are accustomed to new electronic products being smaller, lighter, have better/higher resolution color displays, longer battery life and have more features and functions than the previous generation models.

Now, lets see how the 436HP stacks up:

Form factor/Size - Fail miserably! (The 396XT wins hands down for shear portability and 'wearability')

Lighter - Fail again ref above!

Display - Fail! (Yes it may be a little bigger, but the layout totally sucks and monochrome? Who uses monochrome displays on anything nowadays? Even cordless phones and cheap Chinese ham radios now have colour LCD displays! How could Uniden go from the HP1 display and regress back to the dark ages with the 436HP display? Unbelievable!

Battery life - Unchanged? or slightly less than previous models??

Functions - I guess you would have to say that the 436HP wins in this respect. From most accounts, FMN has improved with the inclusion of a real FMN filter and P25 phase 2 has been introduced.

Since I don't have Phase 2 systems to worry about, the last item on the list, although important for some, doesn't even factor into the equation for me.. I'm sticking with my nice and compact 396XT's.

You know for me its exactly the opposite.

Form factor/size - Great. I love having something that actually has some heft and feel to it. I can't stand those micro-size ham radio HTs and will not buy them. My perfect idea of a radio is a Motorola MT1000. I don't have to worry about squishing it if I hold it too tightly or something. :)

Lighter- See above.

Display - Mostly I find the colored displays annoying and not great for visibility with some exceptions. The display is large and easy to read with clear contrast shown. Its the gray clearly delineated display that makes this possible. This is especially good with someone with eyesight that's going. Especially having that large display makes seeing everything real easy. The information provided is easy to read and encompasses most stuff in an easier to read format than other scanners. Its also not touch screen like I hear the HP-1 is. I wouldn't get one of those for that reason alone but I also don't like the form of it.

Battery Life - For me, I've never had any problem at all with battery life. It lasts real well and I have spare sets if I need them. Never once had the clock problem either. Set it and forget it.

Functions - Agree, lots of stuff it does real well and I don't have P2 either.

Function - Works fantastically. Receives real well, better than other scanners. Really does well on digital but gets analog great too. Once you get used to how it works it's relatively easy to use either direct or through programming. Does have a steep learning curve and it took forever to learn but now its relatively easy although still learn new stuff all the time.

So over all out of everything the radio is in the superb category as far as I'm concerned. Most of the complaints are user related or some other non-radio problem pointing back at the user.

For a new set of radios I think they are really good with few actual problems and now I'm just trying to save up for the 536 next. I also highly recommend them to anyone who shows interest.

In the end I guess its "To each his own....."

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Having both the HP-1 and 436HP mobile the HP-1 was and is easier to operate. Most mobile electronics are touch screen , Phones , GPS and Car Audio to name a few. I can easily operate the HP-1 with one finger as the 436HP would require two hands to accomplish the same tasks.
When comparing visual ease the HP-1 comes out on top. I found that the 436HP screen is way difficult to use as a mobile and requires more of my attention.
One other plus going for the HP-1 is that with the Extreme update you'll be enjoying the use of the Analyze Mode which has Trunk System Analyzer, EDACS/LTR LCN Finder, Band Scope, and RF Power Plot in high resolution color.
The 436HP reminds me of the hand held CB's of the 70's . "10-4 good buddy"

Status
Not open for further replies.