• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

J-Dot; K-Dot & Star Color Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8mln

Ok, so I looked over the other forums and was unsure where to post this question, so if it needs moved, just let me know...but here goes:

I know that there are "business" channels of the J & K Dot channels and then there are the colored "star" channels, both are listed as "business use" channels......

I also found some frequencies listed as "Itinerant use" and wanted to know if these also need a license or not, and if so what license...

So, my question is, do you need a FCC license to use these frequencies for business use or not? If you do, what class of license and where in the FCC ULS can I find info about these channels and how to get the proper license (and fees/costs for the license) to use these frequencies for business use...

I have already spent a few hours looking thru the FCC ULS, but I couldnt find anything that was specific to the "dot" & "star" business use or Itinerant.

So, anyone that can shed some light about these and if a license is needed and if so, where in the ULS I can find the license app for these channels.

~Thanks ahead of time to those who respond with helpful info!

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The MURS channels in VHF do not require a license. I think at least two of these are old color dot channels, not sure about the rest. I believe any of the channels in UHF would still require a license, as would any of the non-MURS VHF. A lot of radios were sold at retail levels with the color/star channels with a booklet inside about obtaining a license, but a lot of users never bothered. I think that is in part what sparked the development of the MURS service.

Multi-Use Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

ecps92

Some of those old DOT/STAR listings are also GMRS and you need a license for them.

The MURS channels in VHF do not require a license. I think at least two of these are old color dot channels, not sure about the rest. I believe any of the channels in UHF would still require a license, as would any of the non-MURS VHF. A lot of radios were sold at retail levels with the color/star channels with a booklet inside about obtaining a license, but a lot of users never bothered. I think that is in part what sparked the development of the MURS service.

Multi-Use Radio Service - The RadioReference Wiki

kc8mln

I am not addressing the MURS or the GMRS/FRS frequencies, only the other star/dot channels that dont fall under one of the other license free areas.

ecps92

MURS - No License Required
FRS - No License [but not a Star or Dot channel] Required
GMRS - License Required
Business - license Required

I am not addressing the MURS or the GMRS/FRS frequencies, only the other star/dot channels that dont fall under one of the other license free areas.

kc8mln

ok, thanks all for the previous info, but the other part of my question has yet to be answered...

Where in the FCC ULS is the application and fees for getting a license for those dot/star channels?

If someone could provide a link to the locatio where the fcc lisnce application is at and a link with the fees for the license and the license term (valid for how long).

Thanks

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They are Part 90 IG - Industrial/Business Pool - Private, Conventional frequencies. The fact that they are commonly referred to as "Star" or "Dot" or whatever else makes no difference to the FCC.

The information you seek is on the page that was already linked:

Common Itinerant and Business - The RadioReference Wiki

Scroll down to the very bottom and you will see links to the FCC:

FCC: Wireless Services: Industrial/Business: Industrial / Business Home

As well as a listing of the Part 90 Industrial/Business Pool Frequencies:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.