J Pole antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Three questions for you that will get you better qualified responses here:
1) Is this for indoor or outdoor mounting?
2) Are you looking to build (DIY) or buy?
3) How much are you wanting to spend?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A Diamond brand D130J discone antenna will cover that "frequency range" you want in a single antenna.
What would be a single antenna good quality and good receiving antenna for 150mhz through470Mhz?

Ubbe

What would be a single antenna good quality and good receiving antenna for 150mhz through470Mhz?
But do you really need the 180Mhz-390MHz range? It's usually mil air and conversations like "Turning right....Now!" and such exercise commands. Maybe you only need a dual band antenna, 150Mhz / 450MHz which would give you more options? The more narrow the frequency range the easier it is to get the proper antenna.

Go high up on a hill or something and set the scanner to record and scan all systems in the area that the database says are in your area. Then compare to what you can receive at home and what you want to listen to an what frequency they then are on.

/Ubbe

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for clearing that up. I have thought of a yagi, however I would have to bring a separate cable down with a type of junction box with an A & B switch for when I wanted to use the directional antenna. I know it would be a great help in bringing in a strong signal but I would have to choose what I prefer to listen to at that particular time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The benefit of a LDPA is that they can be really broad band. A Yagi is usually pretty narrow, designed for only a slice of spectrum. The Yagi will have more gain, but the LDPA might be better for scanner listeners if you are trying to cover more spectrum.

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
Three questions for you that will get you better qualified responses here:
1) Is this for indoor or outdoor mounting?
2) Are you looking to build (DIY) or buy?
3) How much are you wanting to spend?

it will be outside w LMR400 cable
im looking to buy, not make
Budget $250-$350 for antenna

Ubbe

I would have to bring a separate cable down with a type of junction box with an A & B switch
Consider using a remote switch at the antennas. The cheapest one are probably a $10 Vertical/Horizontal polarization switch for sat dishes LNB heads. They switch at 15volt DC that you feed the coax from a bias-T down at the scanner.

/Ubbe

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don’t listen to anything below 119mhz. What’s the best discone does anyone suggest?

"Best" depends on your budget. You can get discone antennas from $50 to $4000.
The Diamond that PRCGUY suggested is a good antenna. I scored one of those for free many years ago and put it up on my roof. It's been working fine for a very long time.
Just remember, getting the signal -from- the antenna to your radio is equally important. Don't put up a nice antenna and then connect it to your radio with the cheapest cable you can find...

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I want the best in my budget. I’ve ran LMR400 already. I was told I don’t need one with a center element because I’m not looking to receiving under 50 Mhz. I see one discone with different size radials pointing down. I also see a Procom “spider” with radials pointing down and up. Also a MP Antenna 08-ANT-0861.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Diamond DJ-130N is pretty well proven. Some of the cheap ones have thin/hollow elements that become separated in storms. I've had my Diamond up for probably 10 years now with no issues.

I wouldn't mess with what works.

Status
Not open for further replies.