Jackass Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brigeport Ranger Dist is working multiple lighting strike fires. The largest one is the Jackass Fire, burning in the Jackass Flats area. I dont know what the Command or Tacts are but i can give you some ideas what to monitor. The ICP and Staging area are at the Topaz Interagency Fire Station. East Fork FPD is send multiple task forces. Fire is very active on all flanks.

Federal Freqs
169.8750 HTF Main (seems to be command)
169.7750 BLM Primary
171.6750 BLM SOA
154.2800 White Fire-1
154.2650 White Fire-2
154.2950 White Fire-3

Loacl Nets
155.7100 Mono Co Fire
155.0850 East Fork FPD

Air Nets
168.6500 Flight Follow
168.6250 Air Guard
123.9750 Minden Tanker Base
165.6500 A/G Pri
166.8750 A/G Sec

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Is it really called the Jackass Fire? I'm sorry but I just got a kick out of that name :)

Thanks for posting the information.

Yeah the name really is the "Jackass Fire" its ineresting to hear units say, "enroute to the jackass fire" its burning in the jackass flats area I have mono county listed as Tx 153.8600 Rx 155.7100. The fire burned very activly all through the night and is burning 3000+ acres, a type-I IC Team has been ordered. Its burning into the Desert Canyon area, Lyon Co FPD is providing structure protection, and the ICP is at Smith Valley High School.

New Freqs to monitor

155.1000 Lyon County FPD

Last edited:

EMSJUNKY

A lot of rural areas have a jackass in road names-- tuolumne county has a jack ass hill road for example.... and the area burns every year.... so i have heard jack ass ic before..... and i still get a kick out of it.

I just returned for the old Leviathan Pk LO, i spent a could hours up there monitoring the fire with my new radio. The fire is now 6000 acres, and still very active. Some NIFC Tact channels are being used. I dont have a whole lot of info right now but ill try to get my hands on some more. Also multiple strike teams are enroute

New Frews
168.0500 NIFC Tact-1
168.2000 NIFC Tact-2
168.2500 NIFC Tact-7

166.6750 Air Tactics-1

SCPD

QRT
A Type I team was supposed to take over the fire at 1800 this evening. Soon to be in place, if not so already, should be a NIFC command repeater system. Remember that there are now 7 command and 7 tactical frequencies. This fire was started by dry lightning and exhibited extreme fire behavior with erratic winds right from the get go. Getting resources to these types of fires is proving to be difficult even though the National Preparedness Level is only 3 out of 5. Lots of cutbacks in fire suppression at the federal level this year that are hidden from the public view. Most noteably the 5 day per week instead of the 7 day per week staffing of resources (engines, patrols, water tenders, and dozers). Crews have always been 5 day per week and I think helicopters are still staffed 7 days per week as the daily availability rate is so high they would not save any money by cutting the crew to 5 days per week, especially considering the paltry wage the crew gets anyway.

There was very little traffic on 153.860 after this fire began other than the Antelope Valley Volunteer Fire Dept. talking with Mono 1 about calls coming in from nervous folks calling from Walker and Coleville when they saw the smoke from this fire and a couple of small fires to their west. With the three bad fire seasons they had from 2002-2004 in that valley, residents are pretty anxious about wildland fires.

I can pick up the Sweetwater repeater on 153.860 from the southern portion of Mono County, but cannot pickup either the Leviathan or Pine Grove repeaters on the Toiyabe's 169.875 Forest Net.

When I first heard about this fire I imagined what I would do if I wasn't working and thought about a pull off on Highway 89 very near the Alpine/Mono County line. I'm envious of being able to sit at Leviathan lookout for an extended period of time to watch and listen. I logged 5500 hours on 108 fires in 26 years for the Forest Service (including 39 days in Yellowstone in 1988) and still am that interested. Is there something wrong with me?

SCPD

QRT
mkewman said:
i think they should name fires from careless campers "jackass fires"

Fire or no fire, many campers should be called jackasses. I'm a little more polite and usually call them the "agressivly apathetic." They not only don't give a rat's behind about anything they do or who they affect, they are going to go out of their way to demonstrate same. Sometimes I would also call them "ignorant by informed choice" and pointed out that they could not hear what I had to say to them because they could not hear me. It seems that their eardrums were blocked by the lining of their rectums.

I'm still dealing with some of them in the job I have now supervising a rest area, but thankfully in far fewer numbers. Some of them have even brought into question the marital status of my parents at the time of my birth.

Amen to that, they dont understand the meaning of a campfire pit, or fire restrictions. As for Leviathan Pk i try to make a couple trips each summer up there, just to monitor INF and CDF and other fire traffic. Its amazing what a few thousand feet in elevation gain can do for reception, i was picking up LMU and BTU!!! Its a shame that LO is no longer fulltime, i think it could do a lot of good, but what do i know.

BMT

Here is some freqs you might want to monitor:

FREQ 122.425/RANCH FIRE
FREQ 133.825/CIBOLA FIRE
FREQ 136.125/MILLARD/SAWTOOTH COMPLEX FIRE

BMT

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Exsmokey said:
I can pick up the Sweetwater repeater on 153.860 from the southern portion of Mono County, but cannot pickup either the Leviathan or Pine Grove repeaters on the Toiyabe's 169.875 Forest Net.

Actually, I believe the Toiyabe Leviathan repeater output is 169.975. It is the only one on the forest that has a different output than the rest of the forest net (169.875). I searched for this for a long time and confirmed it a couple of years ago, the input is 171.425. It is often used for local dispatch when they go into a lightning plan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.