Jackson Co. Ohio EMS Frequency Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
No problem. There are still a few discrepancies with what is listed on the database though. Thank you for your help in guiding me through the system as well.

If there are discrepancies please feel free to point them out.

Keep this in mind though - we do not actually remove frequencies from the database unless they are absolutely 100% confirmed to not be in use anymore and that there is no way for the agency to use them anymore [because they had the equipment removed from vehicles, etc]. Otherwise, if somebody submits data saying "this frequency is no longer in use -- the agency went to UHF", we keep it in the database but we set the Service Tag to "deprecated" and sometimes add notes to the description such as "may no longer be in use".

Once we are confident that the agency(s) that used that frequency cannot appear on it in the future because the repeater is now decommissioned and/or the agency no longer has radios programmed for that frequency, then we'll remove that data.

So don't be surprised if you still see frequencies listed that you believe are no longer in use.

- Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
No problem. There are still a few discrepancies with what is listed on the database though. Thank you for your help in guiding me through the system as well.

There are a couple of discrepancies with your submission which is why clarification was attempted.

You noted that "new frequency is 159.240 MHz (WPDB-987)" and "JC EMS 2 frequency is no longer used" but they're one and the same.

So I'm assuming there's a typo involved and that you meant "JC EMS 1" is no longer used, but we can't update the database based on assumptions. Since your account was set to reject private messages, rejecting the submission was the quickest way to get your attention. It worked, too!!

So, with that said, could you clarify? Thanks...

I was wondering why the messages were not being accepted, I have setup a new Radio Reference account as I lost the login for my old account... I couldn't even tell you my old username... lol

1) 151.010 WPCD-784 is no longer used by our agency (this frequency belongs to the Sheriffs Office, and we no longer use it or even have it programmed into our radios).

2) The database lists JC EMS 2 as 159.240 KXL-296, which used to be our tactical frequency, but after we abandoned the 151.010 frequency, we have made it our main primary paging/dispatch frequency and the callsign is actually WPDB-987.

3) The 155.205 frequency also is no longer used or programmed into our radios.

4) Squad to hospital traffic is mainly heard on 453.275 when transporting to Holzer of Jackson. If we transport to any other facility, that traffic is heard on 155.340 and the callsigns for both are WPUU-490.

Jackson County formerly belonged to Southeast Ohio Emergency Medical Services District (SEOEMS) but after that agency dissolved (on Jan 1st, 2011) everything changed frequency wise. Which is where the KXL-296 callsign and frequencies came from.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
I can vouch for Justin Drummond being the official chief radio technician for Jackson County EMS.

I can also tell you with absolute certainty that no one in Jackson County uses 39.26, 39.62, 39.58 or 39.66 MHz anymore. All the base stations are gone. Mobiles gone. This includes Jackson, Wellston, Oak Hill and Coalton Police and the Jackson County Sheriff's Office. Gallipolis Fire Department is/was the only user of 39.62 these days. Lawrence County also pulled the plug on all low band radio equipment almost a decade ago. It's all gone. Everyone has been VHF for at least a decade, with at least one agency (Jackson Co Sheriff's Office) dabbling with MARCS.

Justin is correct on 159.24 MHz. That frequency originally belonged to the City of Jackson as a community repeater for parks and recreation and other city services. They are all on 154.115 MHz now and 159.24 was "given" to SEOEMS six or seven years ago as a tactical frequency. With the demise of SEOEMS, Jackson County EMS has taken over 159.24 as a primary dispatch frequency afte briefly using the Sheriff's backup repeater on 151.01 during most of 2011.

How exciting to see someone using their own (analog) radio system instead of MARCS!

Rick, W8UU

Last edited:
Thanks Rick!

I'll take my VHF any day over MARCS, that is until they get away from the nasty T1's that fail in this part of the state due to the old and failing copper networks. I did read where they will be switching to Horizon fiber at 34 sites soon and the system is testing LTE backhauls between sites as well. Once they do that, it will be smooth sailing from then on.

Low band? Whats that? lol That must be what all those antennas crowding the tower were once used for! ;)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
  1. 453.425 - Jackson Co EMS

This a new repeater frequency that popped up on the Jackson Co EMS license, WPDB987. The FCC license indicates that this repeater is in the northern Jackson Co.

Any idea what this is used for? Any idea what the PL/DPL is?

2. 453.275 - Jackson Co EMS

Can anybody tell me what PL/DPL is in use on this frequency?

3. 155.115

Not to be confused with 154.115. Is 155.115 still in use by Oak Hill PD / Oak Hill City Services? There is no FCC license for this freq.

4. 39.62

This freq is listed as deprecated in the DB and was part of a half-duplex setup for Jackson Co SO. W8UU had indicated that all low band was gone in the county. But then he indicated a couple of posts back that Gallipolis FD (not PD) is/was using 39.62.

Rick -- Can you confirm with certainty that either (a) absolutely no low band is in use in the county anymore or that (b) there is no low band in use in the county except for Gallipolis FD on 39.62?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes... Rick and myself are very familiar with this. As Rick is the one that applied for our frequencies and I request them from Rick.

There are alot of frequency changes, reassignments, ect. I will send all of Jackson Counties freqencies in a submission later on.

453.425 will be a new fire repeater in the Wellston area.

Jackson Couny SO has not used low band for years. As a mater of fact, I was at the site today stripping the building of all of the old hardline from the 39 MHz system!

All Law Enforcement in the county is on MARCS (minus Coalton PD, they are still on VHF)... But to answer you question, 155.155 hasnt been used in quite a while...

Like I said, when I get home I will fire off exactly what frequency is what and where its going.

Maybe we can get rid of some of the "Depreciated" frequencies listed??! lol

Ok - So basically, all fire departments will be on UHF by Sept 1st. Wellston Fire will be converting to UHF and using the frequencies below... Also, their VHF repeater will be off the air by the Sept 1st date.

453.625 - County Fire Repeater 1 - Jackson - Main/Page Frequency - KNAY777

451.975 - County Fire Repeater 2 - Jackson - Secondary - WNAU921

453.275 - County Fire Repeater 3 - Oak Hill - Hamilton Township - WPDB987

453.425 - County Fire Repeater 4 - Wellston - Washington Township - WPDB987

For county EMS operations, the two frequencies below are the only that EMS operations take place.

453.125 - Madison-Jefferson Fire Department - Oak Hill - WNAU921

159.240 - Jackson County EMS Dispatch - County Wide - WPDB987

155.340 - Jackson County EMS to Holzer Jackson - WPDB987

The above is up to date. The 453.275 frequency is no longer used for hospital talk and was moved to Hamilton Township.

155.205, 155.115 and the 39 MHz frequencies are no longer used, nor is their any equipment even installed on low band.

154.755 is used as a backup for the Sheriffs Office and the 151.010 frequency will be used as a secondary use system.

We have been making steps in the right direction as a county over he past 6 months. I'm extremely proud of everyone's hard work to make the county interoperable!

As for Gallipolis PD, I don't think they use low band anymore... But Rick would know for sure.

Hope that helps!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok - So basically, all fire departments will be on UHF by Sept 1st. Wellston Fire will be converting to UHF and using the frequencies below... Also, their VHF repeater will be off the air by the Sept 1st date.

453.625 - County Fire Repeater 1 - Jackson - Main/Page Frequency - KNAY777

451.975 - County Fire Repeater 2 - Jackson - Secondary - WNAU921

453.275 - County Fire Repeater 3 - Oak Hill - Hamilton Township - WPDB987

453.425 - County Fire Repeater 4 - Wellston - Washington Township - WPDB987

For county EMS operations, the two frequencies below are the only that EMS operations take place.

453.125 - Madison-Jefferson Fire Department - Oak Hill - WNAU921

159.240 - Jackson County EMS Dispatch - County Wide - WPDB987

155.340 - Jackson County EMS to Holzer Jackson - WPDB987

The above is up to date. The 453.275 frequency is no longer used for hospital talk and was moved to Hamilton Township.

155.205, 155.115 and the 39 MHz frequencies are no longer used, nor is their any equipment even installed on low band.

154.755 is used as a backup for the Sheriffs Office and the 151.010 frequency will be used as a secondary use system.

We have been making steps in the right direction as a county over he past 6 months. I'm extremely proud of everyone's hard work to make the county interoperable!

As for Gallipolis PD, I don't think they use low band anymore... But Rick would know for sure.

Hope that helps!

Justin,

So, in reality, I shouldn't make any change until Sept 1, right?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
All Law Enforcement in the county is on MARCS (minus Coalton PD, they are still on VHF)... But to answer you question, 155.155 hasnt been used in quite a while...

Justin,

• When you say all LE in the county is on MARCS [except Coalton], does that mean that primary communications for all LE in the county is now on MARCS? (versus all of them just having access but using VHF as primary)

- Jackson Co SO - primary on MARCS or VHF?
    - Wellston PD - primary on MARCS or VHF?
    - Jackson PD - primary on MARCS or VHF?
    - Oak Hill PD - primary on MARCS or VHF?
    - Coalton PD (VHF-only, at this time)

The last info that anybody stated was that Jackson PD had a talkgroup on MARCS but that it wasn't in use. I don't know if that means they aren't currently using MARCS or that they were using MARCS but were on the generic Jackson Co Law talkgroup on MARCS.

• RE: Coalton PD

If Coalton PD is still on VHF, are they using 154.755?

mike

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I should wait til you respond to the other questions, but I don't want to forget to ask...

Do you know if the county (police and/or fire-ems) have switched to narrowband yet?

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Justin,

Is it safe to say that the following two entries in the DB need to be removed?

159.24000 151.40000 KDN611 RM 114.8 PL JACKSN PARKS Jackson Parks & Rec FM Public Works
159.24000 151.40000 KDN611 RM 203.5 PL JACKSON LG Jackson, City of FM Public Works

I'm guessing so given that 159.24 is the output of the EMS system and also Jackson DPW already has 154.115 in use.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.