Jackson County Law Now Encrypted

Premium Subscriber
All LE dispatch traffic on the Jackson county DMR system has been encrypted., some TAC channels go clear but mostly mixed mode. As far as I know, they will be encrypting everything on the new P-25 system going in next year including Fire/EMS etc. Another county bites the dust in 2023.

Last edited:

nitroboie

I noticed the switch starting about two weeks ago.

Dispatch was in the clear, most units enc. However there were a few in the clear, I'm assuming they hadn't had their radios reprogrammed, which is why dispatch was in the clear.

Makes for a quiet ride down on 85 to Atlanta once I'm past Franklin County.

spencerwww

Winder was Jackson and banks encrypted is thay fire and police are just police any body conform on I don't see any p25 I see dmr for the county

spencerwww

All LE dispatch traffic on the Jackson county DMR system has been encrypted., some TAC channels go clear but mostly mixed mode. As far as I know, they will be encrypting everything on the new P-25 system going in next year including Fire/EMS etc. Another county bites the dust in 2023.
Aere p25 site don't see nothing on p25 site so I thought fire ems. E e xrpyred maby police but if u can conform

Premium Subscriber
I think fire ems be clear police would.bjt if anybody can comfrom
On the new 800 MHZ P25 it will ALL be encrypted like Barrow and Gwinnett, already been decided by the powers in charge.

N8IAA

Will be a sad day when that happens. Started monitoring them on analog, then DMR. Another county that will be gone in my scanner. :(

spencerwww

On the new 800 MHZ P25 it will ALL be encrypted like Barrow and Gwinnett, already been decided by the powers in charge.
Can u send me link of it maby fore ema will be clear they still might u dint know I bet.police will be encrypted thats just dor.police thats encryption they can't encryption everything thaga why I ask was u sure 100.percent

Premium Subscriber
If 1268 posts that it will be encrypted. It will.
Any hope that something will be in the clear, is just that. Hope....
One little interesting tidbit...they are going to use 800mhz and unification G4 pagers for volunteer FF, They claim to work on encrypted transmissions but it's a first in the state of GA. If that works it opens the flood gates for other agencies to do the same.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
They do work using encryption. We have been testing then out here g5 mainly. Only gripe I have is it be nice if the pager could recieve a stun so if one is lost random remote kills could be sent out to these pagers. Wouldn't need to transmit itself but to be able to to stunned or recieve a kill would be nice at random.

One little interesting tidbit...they are going to use 800mhz and unification G4 pagers for volunteer FF, They claim to work on encrypted transmissions but it's a first in the state of GA. If that works it opens the flood gates for other agencies to do the same.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The G4/G5 work just fine with both ADP (ARC-4) and AES-256. Tested them on our system, though they will NOT respond to proprietary IV&D data grams for our FSA (Mach Alert), but we could easily implement two-tone over P25 and send alerts from our MCC7500s for agencies with volunteers.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
They do work using encryption. We have been testing then out here g5 mainly. Only gripe I have is it be nice if the pager could recieve a stun so if one is lost random remote kills could be sent out to these pagers. Wouldn't need to transmit itself but to be able to to stunned or recieve a kill would be nice at random.
The pager doesn't have a UID, so there is no way to "stun" it via an RCM selective inhibit/passive inhibit command. This is an obvious security issue and if one doesn't have OTAR, it would mean manually re-keying every console and subscriber on a system if one is lost/stolen. The only security option is to password protect the device.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
Really sad about this one...got my start listening to jackson county back when I had a scanner with crystals in it. I understand the safety aspects of it, but seems like there's a better way.

joshellis625

911 Dispatcher
After talking to some of the local Jackson County deputies I’m fairly certain that this change was pushed hard because back in the beginning of summer or so there was somebody on Facebook that started posting all of the scanner traffic in one of those local scanner facebook groups. Was even posting traffic stops and other very sensitive information. They were not happy and I honestly believe this is why they added encryption seemingly “out of the blue”. The deputies I talked to said they were trying to figure out who was doing it.