Jackson County Radio system upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
Jackson County is pursuing a new Mototrbo radio system. This system will be a UHF system using 7 towers in the county.I also understand that Kenwood has a similer product and there still in the mix but the Sherriff is leaning towards Mototrbo.
Keep in mind this system is Digital
The only analog there keeping is Fire paging on 154.220. All other analog channels are going away. Time table is b y the end of 2010 or early 2011.
More updates as I get them.

N8IAA

What amazes me is that county officials are constantly bamboozled by the slick sales people into buying an "upgrade" to what they are using. Then to use a protocol that is not intended for public safety. I understand the need to have reliable comms. But, to be told that they have to go digital by 2013, is a heaping pile of horsepucky:p They just have to be using narrowband frequencies. Good Gravy:confused:

Larry

Premium Subscriber
What amazes me is that county officials are constantly bamboozled by the slick sales people into buying an "upgrade" to what they are using. Then to use a protocol that is not intended for public safety. I understand the need to have reliable comms. But, to be told that they have to go digital by 2013, is a heaping pile of horsepucky:p They just have to be using narrowband frequencies. Good Gravy:confused:

Larry
They wanted to jump on the Hall county system but the cost was too great. I think the big seller was the digital part to the SO, not sure why they are going UHF 400MHZ though :confused:.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
everytime I hear of one of these north Georgia counties going MotoTRBO with the logic of "it's digital" reminds me of the caller "Bo" and his "Camaro" on the Neal Boortz show back in the 90's.

"I got me a Camaro Neal, it's a nice car"

Yep, a redneck limo.

What are these people thinking? SAFECOM grants won't pay for MotoTRBO, only P25 phase I or phase II. They're honestly stupid and proving my point that no one does any real shopping around or uses any unbiased consulting before getting sucked into signing a sales contract.

SCPD

QRT
Wow.. This sounds strangely like the BS that White Co. is going threw.. Funny.. Probably the same sales rep greasing someones back pocket. When some one dies is when they will get rid of those things..

SCPD

QRT
Now that I think of it, our EMA director who is making the decision to buy this MotoMonstrosity is from Jackson Co. and used to work there.. Interesting.. And funny how Kenwood came and presented as well and got turned down too.. And come to think of it, White Co. thinks that just because they are buying a MotoBRDG to patch into VHF from the MotoMonstrosity, this will allow them to cover the "interoperability" requirement of the Federal Grants... Does this sound familar? This is what happens when incompetent people are placed in positions of power.

Last edited:

Premium Subscriber
Now that I think of it, our EMA director who is making the decision to buy this MotoMonstrosity is from Jackson Co. and used to work there.. Interesting.. And funny how Kenwood came and presented as well and got turned down too.. And come to think of it, White Co. thinks that just because they are buying a MotoBRDG to patch into VHF from the MotoMonstrosity, this will allow them to cover the "interoperability" requirement of the Federal Grants... Does this sound familar? This is what happens when incompetent people are placed in positions of power.
Bingo ! You got it. Only difference is your staying on VHF and Jackson looks like there going UHF.
There intertwined and it's the same Moto salesman doing the pitch. The funny thing is that little Banks County outsmarted everyone and is doing a $25,000 software change and bringing radios into narrowband compliance.
Time will tell on how those whole issue works out.

SCPD

QRT
What I don't understand is White Co. has less than 20 handhelds and less than 10 mobiles that are NOT narrowband compliant. Why not spend less than 15000 replace the non compliant units. My understanding is that in 2018 everything will have to be P25. Buying a 400000 radio system that has to be replaced in 8 years seems like a extremely stupid thing to do.

Premium Subscriber
What I don't understand is White Co. has less than 20 handhelds and less than 10 mobiles that are NOT narrowband compliant. Why not spend less than 15000 replace the non compliant units. My understanding is that in 2018 everything will have to be P25. Buying a 400000 radio system that has to be replaced in 8 years seems like a extremely stupid thing to do.
Your correct. I believe law enforcement in both counties are pushing this hard. They want a digital system that's non scan able. Frankly why not just scramble the channel your using on an as need basis rather then spend on a new system?
Both counties could update there repeaters and radios for much less then this system and add in some channels as well but the moto salesman has them convinced that they must go digital blah blah :mad:
What's going to hurt is the fact that this system is a business quality system and it will suck big time for public safety IMHO.

SCPD

QRT
Maybe if they have to start replacing radios after a single structure fire or every time one gets wet or dropped will open their eyes..

N8IAA

What absolutely amazes me, is that 95% of the radio traffic in Jackson is traffic stops. The other 5% is for wrecks on 85. They need to go unscannable for what reason other than Motorola can't sell that cr*p to real public service:D
Larry

radiofan1

I think it's more like they don't want to throw away a gazillion dollars on pee25 that sounds terrible. ANYTHING AMBE+2 sounds infinitely better than pee25 IMBE.

SCPD

QRT
I think it's more like they don't want to throw away a gazillion dollars on pee25 that sounds terrible. ANYTHING AMBE+2 sounds infinitely better than pee25 IMBE.

They are going to spend $400,000 to buy a Mototrbo system that has to be replaced by a P25 system in 2018. Sound quality and interoperability aside, it is beyond ridiculous to upgrade twice. Both counties could update all of their NON-narrowband compliant equipment and be compliant until 2018 then go to P25. This is pure government stupidity. White Co.'s EMA director is passing it off to his bosses that it won't cost the tax payers anything because it is grant money that is going to pay for it. The federal grants DO NOT pay for non-P25 systems so the county tax payers will be paying for it. And beyond that where does grant money? Yep you guessed it, TAX PAYERS.

radiofan1

Show me a link to a government website that states all public safety has to be piss25 by 2018. :roll:

Premium Subscriber
Show me a link to a government website that states all public safety has to be piss25 by 2018. :roll:

There is no federal mandate as such. But there are funding recommendations that support the purchase of P25 equipment. Check the DHS grant guidelines:
Federal Emergency Management Agency

Do a search on "Project 25" 0r P25 Mandates and it will lay out the guidelines for the expenditure of Homeland Security Grant funds. Nothing there for going total P25 and frankly in this economy the amount of radio systems switching is going to slow way down.

SCPD

QRT

I stand corrected. 2018 is when Very narrow band is implemented for which MotoTRBO still does not satisfy. I am beginning to think you work for Mother Moto....

My biggest problem with MotoMonstrosity is the complete and total lack of interoperability. My agency works a lot with GA DNR GA Forestry and several surrounding counties. Patching at dispatch to speak to a DNR agent 100 feet away on their VHF band is ridiculous. Also MotoTRBO is not designed for public safety PERIOD. What happens to me when I go into a structure fire and my radio stops functioning.

Firebuff880

Narrowbanding Deadline is 1-1-2013 not 2018...

Is your private LMR/SMR VHF/UHF two way voice dispatch, paging, data, or SCADA radio system ready for the FCC's January 1, 2013 Part 90 "narrowbanding" compliance date? For official details, visit: Gorry Details are here ---
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-292A1.pdf

Vist this site for some details...
FCC Narrowbanding Updates for Part 90 VHF UHF LMR Dispatch Two Way Radio Licensees - WirelessRadio.net

and the sub page on various myths...
Myths & Realities of FCC Part 90 VHF UHF Narrowbanding - WirelessRadio.net

Rebanding, Verses Narrow Banding Verses ReNameing are confusing..
http://www.gmag.org/docsView/showfile.asp?fid=264

Status
Not open for further replies.