Jackson County Skywarn moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

conrad314

Effective Friday, April 15, the SkyWarn net is moving. We are moving all SkyWarn Operations to the 146.70 - repeater. For now, this repeater has a 107.2 tone on it, but we are working on making it able to shut off tones during storm sessions. There are several advantages to this repeater for SkyWarn. One is that it has backup power available. As long as the diesel generator doesn't run out of fuel, we can power the repeater during a power outage. It also has better coverage to the southwest of the KC metro, into Miami and Lynn counties, where a lot of the weather effecting the Missouri side of the area comes from. It will also allow us to work stations in Warrensburg, which will allow their net to get better info from Pleasant Hill.

The Board of Directors of Kansas City SkyWarn would like to thank the owners and operators of the 146.82 machine, both past and present, for the use of the machine over the years. A lot of work has been done to make sure that it would serve the area during storm sessions. This move to the 146.70 repeater is an enhancement to what SkyWarn can do, and we look forward to working with everyone to continue to make Kansas City's storm spotters the best in the nation. If you have any questions, please contact me directly at <wr0r@arrl.net>.

John Seals,
WR0R<wr0r@arrl.net>
Chairman, Kansas City SkyWarn

**Forwarded from Larry's List**

KC0CSE

CHANGE from the 82?

Ok......... now I have to go and have all my radio's reprogramed.......I thought 82 repeater was doing it's job.....did not see this coming....

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
MB - at least based on the post above it looks like this new machine has backup power (which is BIG during storm spotting) and better coverage?

KC0CSE

skywarn 82 repeater

yes I can see why they made the move.....back up power is must during storms....I will make the change and have my units re-programmed....

conrad314

Jackson County ARES members:

There are a couple of important net frequency changes of which all Jackson County ARES members should be aware.

First and effective immediately, the Jackson County ARES net will operate on the 146.37/97 MHz. repeater as the primary repeater for Jackson County ARES. That repeater currently is carrier access. The reason for the change is because the 147.270 MHz. repeater ceased operation as of today. I urge you all to join the Jackson County ARES net on its regularly scheduled net at nine o'clock on Saturday morning. Help us determine the repeater coverage with your check-in. If you can't join us on the net, take the time at your convenience to QSO with someone on the repeater so you will know how well you get into the repeater from the various two-meter transmitters you may have.

Secondly, and also effective immediately, the frequency for the SKYWARN net when it is in operation has changed to the 146.10/70 MHz. repeater. The repeater normally requires a 107.2 Hz. CTCSS access tone, but the repeater may be capable of allowing carrier access during SKYWARN operations.

Mike Bellinger, K0UAA

ARES® Emergency Coordinatorfor Jackson County, MO

ARES<http://www.jacoares.org>

**Another Forward from Larry's List**

talkpair

Does anyone know the status of the 146.7 machine?.....I haven't heard it ID since Oct 18.

I disabled my PL tone and have heard the KC5AR machine in Arkansas ID a couple times at 17 minutes past the hour.

Also, is there a backup frequency?

KC0CSE

well I just tried to key it up and nothing.....I guess it is out of service....as for a back up I would think 146.820....or they might go to a simplex channel...I will do some checking...

KC0CSE=HAM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.