Jackson, MS Police may have questions to answer thanks to Scanner Recordings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuzzled

I agree that this will end up pushing more depts to encrypt. But in the same turn this is why there should not be any encryption at all on police channels. People should have a right to monitor their public service agencies for this very reason. Fraud and abuse. The police are supposed to be protecting the citizens of their community not violating their rights. After all who is policing the police? It should be the people who are paying them. I congratulate every police chief who decides not to encrypt! Their should be open transparency between local government and the people they work for. If there is fraud and abuse within a department lets fix it...not hide it!
If I were on the City Council (or whatever governing body), I would be using things like this to enact ordinances banning encryption under most circumstances. There would be a provision to allow it on certain channels for limited time periods for tactical operations, but only with the approval of the Chief. That permission would have to be renewed at specific intervals (every four hours?) with documentation that the event is ongoing.

rapidcharger

I agree that this will end up pushing more depts to encrypt. But in the same turn this is why there should not be any encryption at all on police channels. People should have a right to monitor their public service agencies for this very reason. Fraud and abuse. The police are supposed to be protecting the citizens of their community not violating their rights. After all who is policing the police? It should be the people who are paying them. I congratulate every police chief who decides not to encrypt! Their should be open transparency between local government and the people they work for. If there is fraud and abuse within a department lets fix it...not hide it!
Great post. Agree 90%.

Now revel in it because that is the first and last time we will agree on anything. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.