Jacksonville Fire Rescue (JFRD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

weshouldrun

Hello, I have been reading the forums for the past few weeks, trying to learn and pick up as much info as possible. I am immensely thankful for the vast wealth of knowledge available here. With that said, I'm hoping to be able to listen to (primarily) JFRD on a scanner here in Duval County. I'm not sure if it is available both now or in the future. After referencing this page Jacksonville City - First Coast Radio Trunking System, Jacksonville, Florida - Scanner Frequencies it looks like they will use APX4500 mobiles at some point. I've read that the APX is equipped with AES, but I'm wondering if that will be in use on the mobiles and portables, rendering hopes of scanner listening a no go. So, I guess my question is, is JFRD available now?

wardaddy

I doubt that encryption will be used for their regular talkgroups. They tried it in the past and there was an incident that left a bad taste in their mouths. They will likely keep encryption on their special events talkgroups.

I know there are additional simulcast sites planned, which is going to compound the issue you will currently face with using a scanner: simulcast distortion. I would look into a Unication pager, as it will outperform any scanner. I'm not a proponent of recommending NAS to people that aren't skilled in the area of programming radios, as a mistake can be costly (to you and other first responders).

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
It's not a guarantee that a scanner will have trouble receiving simulcast systems, it depends on where you are relative to the various nearby sites. If your location is dominated by one site then you will likely have good reception, but there's no way to know until you try it. Maybe if you can find someone who is willing to test at your place it would give you some indication, although even moving the antenna by a couple inches can make a big difference.

There might also be a streaming scanner feed here on Broadcastify or other streaming host as a last resort.

jeff

Premium Subscriber
I'm 11 miles from their nearest site, have no issues receiving it using an indoor yagi. I've had no issues while driving thru the area using a 996T or 396XT. JFRD turned off their encyrption a few years ago except for 2 special event TGs and hospital comms.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Before I sold my 436 someone locally in Jax JFRD was coming in clear as day. I tested it with my sds100 vs 436hp that day and both held up with no issues same programing on both radios.

weshouldrun

Thanks all times ten for these insights. I wish I knew what the person that broadcasted JFRD (titled 'Duval County Fire and Rescue') here for the last handful of months was using. It sounded really good, but the feed has been no longer active as of January. It's encouraging to hear that some of the models mentioned work in this area. I am on the Westside, not that that matters, but as mentioned I won't know about the possible simulcast issues until it's tested. I've been green lighted (I think) a little beyond what I originally thought my budget might be, so THAT helps. Just trying to take in as much knowledge as possible to make an informed purchase. Thanks again.

wardaddy

I had nothing but trouble with a PSR-800. Results will vary based on location.

pi4st5ol

Heys Guys, thought that I would jump in on this convo and ask for some help as well. I am not new to scanners, but honestly its been awhile (good old analog days) since I have used one regularly. I was using a cheap radio that I bought end of 2018 to listen to the JFRD simulcast channel (460...), but I stopped receiving transmissions on that channel about 6 months ago. I then started listening to the Broadcastify stream and life was good :).

Once the stream went down in January, I decided to buy a better radio that had trunking and digital capabilities, etc. I have had nothing but trouble with the radio I bought (TRX-2), but maybe its me?. I chose it because it had good reviews, but also because it has a removable face, so I can mount it over my rearview and keep the radio under the seat. Anyway, I had been using an antenna mount on the back of my truck that worked great for the other radio (NMO Mount using RG213U cable and hand soldered pl-259 connections). I had to install an adapter for the new radio (SO-239 to BNC) and I bought a new tram antenna, but my reception is terrible, and most of the time i just get silence. If I'm sitting at a stop I can get half a transmission every now and then. I thought it was my antenna, so I bought a factory wired antenna that needed no adapters, but my reception was only slightly better.

So I thought I would buy a big antenna (Tram 1410) and set it up at my house (near downtown, arlington) where I know reception should not be an issue. I set it up (in my attic, seemed like a good idea) and connected it and my reception is still terrible). So I decided to connect the factory antenna and set it up here at my house, and I do get some half broken transmissions, but always very distorted and digital sounding. I have used the software to set up the channels on the radio so that it skips unused channels, delays on the primary chanels, AGC is turned on, etc. and no luck.
So, any ideas? Am I an idiot? Should I spend more money on a different radio?

wardaddy

Heys Guys, thought that I would jump in on this convo and ask for some help as well. I am not new to scanners, but honestly its been awhile (good old analog days) since I have used one regularly. I was using a cheap radio that I bought end of 2018 to listen to the JFRD simulcast channel (460...), but I stopped receiving transmissions on that channel about 6 months ago. I then started listening to the Broadcastify stream and life was good :).

Once the stream went down in January, I decided to buy a better radio that had trunking and digital capabilities, etc. I have had nothing but trouble with the radio I bought (TRX-2), but maybe its me?. I chose it because it had good reviews, but also because it has a removable face, so I can mount it over my rearview and keep the radio under the seat. Anyway, I had been using an antenna mount on the back of my truck that worked great for the other radio (NMO Mount using RG213U cable and hand soldered pl-259 connections). I had to install an adapter for the new radio (SO-239 to BNC) and I bought a new tram antenna, but my reception is terrible, and most of the time i just get silence. If I'm sitting at a stop I can get half a transmission every now and then. I thought it was my antenna, so I bought a factory wired antenna that needed no adapters, but my reception was only slightly better.

So I thought I would buy a big antenna (Tram 1410) and set it up at my house (near downtown, arlington) where I know reception should not be an issue. I set it up (in my attic, seemed like a good idea) and connected it and my reception is still terrible). So I decided to connect the factory antenna and set it up here at my house, and I do get some half broken transmissions, but always very distorted and digital sounding. I have used the software to set up the channels on the radio so that it skips unused channels, delays on the primary chanels, AGC is turned on, etc. and no luck.
Those were the same issues I always had. A Yagi pointed at one of the towers seems to help quite a bit. I don't know exactly where you live, but you are probably receiving the downtown site and the Hogan Street site simultaneously.

Anyone know why the feed went down? Is there interest in a feed for JFRD?

pi4st5ol

Not sure on why. My plan was to start a new feed once I get the bugs worked out, but I don't have a lot of time right now. So just working on it on Sundays. I'll look into the Yagi, thanks for the suggestion.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Not sure on why.

Your approach assumes that the problem is weak signal. What if it's too much signal that's overloading that receiver? More antenna only exacerbates the problem.

It's also possible that your receiver is getting hit with interference generated by overload or adjacent channel strong transmitters. If you're downtown this is highly likely.

Try listening in analog mode on a frequency very near the control channel (or to the control channel itself in analog mode) for a while to determine if your receiver is getting hit with intermod and other repeaters thar. You might find your answer that way.

Try holding or setting the antenna at various points in a room and moving it by only an inch or two every so often to see if you can find a sweet spot that yields better reception. That might help to isolate what the problem is.

weshouldrun

Anyone know why the feed went down? Is there interest in a feed for JFRD?

Don't know why it went down in January, but I was sad to see it go. I *think* it averaged about 18-22 listeners at times (which I guess isn't a whopping number). I drive a semi (brown, package delivery company) 5 days a week, about 12 hours a day, and about 10 hours of that is out of town. I found myself listening to JFR more often than sports radio, music or my own thoughts : o . I'm leaning towards the SDS100 or 200, but still learning rather than being spooked by the noise/pulsating noise/static/hum/deafness/cold solder joints/plate/simulcast distortion issues that one *MIGHT* face. I would have gladly paid a provider to keep a feed, but if that's a no no I won't mention that. On stay cation this week, so there's more time to research. I admit that I will probably never arrive at places that some of you have already been to, as far as knowledge in this field, hence the appreciation of this forum.

pawsrock

I have stayed away from Whistler products due to uncertainly of the company and upgrages. I have heard some people say they work good for them but, for me I stay away. I now am a Uniden fan. I have a 436 and a 536hp. I live in Mandarin and this is my setp. My 536hp I use a RH77CA

i have a BCD536HP using a RH77CA dual band antenna. I had this antenna for my HT and thought I would try it on my scanner. My area is Mandarin and I hear JFRD very well. Even hear Clay County Fire Rescue.

weshouldrun

Fwiw, ended up getting the SDS100 about a week ago. Love it. Using a Remtronix antenna, no probs picking up JFRD, Clay County Fire Rescue, and even St. Johns County at times (!). I think I'm about 3.7 miles from JFRD's closest tower, 9 miles from Clay County's, and about 18 miles from St. Johns. Now, to learn how to really use this thing. Thank goodness for Youtube and the threads.....

Status
Not open for further replies.