Jacksonville, FL Freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
The fact is Luis, I do not program or have any radios excluding scanners. I know someone who does. I hope that was clear enough.

You are right, some LEO's do not like this site. Yet, you are contributing to this forum. I remember another recent thread where you stated that people should limit what they post. I would post the Self-Appointed Radio Reference Police badge but I cannot find it. Anyone on this forum discussing encrypted radio programming are not contributing to encryption. Follow me here, wouldn't agencies have to enable encryption on their system before people started discussing how to monitor their encrypted system? The encryption came first so what were the contributing factors... scanners and feeds, a catch 22 for us.

Now backing up News... In Florida, there are several exclusions to the scanner law which you failed to mention and it's really easy to meet one of the exclusions. It is also not against the law to have a radio capable of receiving unencrypted communications if the radio does not transmit, which would similar to a... wait for it... a scanner. However, Motorola can seek civil damages nonetheless because the programmer used their proprietary software. It is only a criminal issue from my understanding if you obtain an encryption key. Which for the record I have never done it, not saying I plan on doing it nor recommend anyone trying it.

Luis_R

Luis go mill around in a different thread please. You know not what you talk about in this thread.

Until I get banned I'll mill around here or any other thread. Pay attention to the quotations.

Florida Scanner Law

843.16 Unlawful to install radio equipment using assigned frequency of state or law enforcement officers; definitions; exceptions; penalties.--

(1) No person, firm, or corporation shall install in any motor vehicle or business establishment, except an emergency vehicle or crime watch vehicle as herein defined or a place established by municipal, county, state, or federal authority for governmental purposes, "any frequency modulation radio receiving equipment so adjusted or tuned as to receive messages or signals on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission to police or law enforcement officers of any city or county of the state or to the state or any of its agencies." Provided, nothing herein shall be construed to affect any radio station licensed by the Federal Communications System or to affect any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor certified pursuant to part II of chapter 489, operating a central monitoring system.

(2) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Emergency vehicle" shall specifically mean:

1. Any motor vehicle used by any law enforcement officer or employee of any city, any county, the state, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or the Armed Forces of the United States while on official business;

2. Any fire department vehicle of any city or county of the state or any state fire department vehicle;

3. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the state;

4. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the sheriff of any county in the state when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said county;

5. Any motor vehicle designated as an emergency vehicle by the chief of police of any city in the state when said vehicle is to be assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the said city.

(b) "Crime watch vehicle" means any motor vehicle used by any person participating in a citizen crime watch or neighborhood watch program when such program and use are approved in writing by the appropriate sheriff or chief of police where the vehicle will be used and the vehicle is assigned the use of frequencies assigned to the county or city. Such approval shall be renewed annually.

(3) This section shall not apply to any holder of a valid amateur radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission or to any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor certified pursuant to part II of chapter 489, operating a central monitoring system.

(4) Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
No where in that post did I say or condoned any posting dealing with LEA's. Here is the link http://forums.radioreference.com/fl...-clermont-pd-now-encrypted-2.html#post1396481

You're kidding, right??? Non - encryption is more important than any other stance!!! WOW, unbelievable. These type of sites, while helpful, also hurt Federal, Government, State, etc.. agencies. If people would just learn how to limit what they post, there wouldn't be a big problem.

Good thing because I didn't say that either. I said "I remember another recent thread where you stated that people should limit what they post." And you did. I'm not a total idiot so I don't why you have such a problem understanding anything I post.

We know the Florida scanner law, I'm not sure why you posted it because it didn't seem to aid your argument, there are exclusions. Bolt is right on the money. Which is why I got my ham license in case I am challenged on my affiliation with the media. The ham proctors were not happy when I told them why I wanted to take the test. A lot of people make a big deal about the law when getting your ham license is probably the easiest thing in the world.

This thread has once again gotten off topic, I'm probably not helping. I'm finished arguing with Luis because I have made myself clear enough .

I. Do. Not. Program. Radios. LOL

Rightpace

Premium Subscriber
It is unfortunate we have degenerated to a point where law abiding citizens sometimes cannot listen to LEO scanners. There have been instances where because I was scanning and knew what was going on around me, I was able to render aid. Once, I was in my boat monitoring an LEO scanner when I learned of an on-the-water emergency. The LEO scanner was the only way I knew what was happening in time to be of assistance. The officers were all sitting in their cars on land, nearby, on the banks of the river unable to help. It was nightime, and rapid response could have made the difference between life or death. By the time Coast Guard issued a PON on Marine Distress Channel 16, the situation was over. Fortunately, this event was not life threatening, but it could have been.

LEO frequency scanning should be legal for anyone without a criminal history. This is not difficult to determine. A simple backround check by scanner salesmen would prevent most instances of abuse.

grem467

One more thing GREMrm! Who the heck is we? You sound like a Moto tech that shoves bs up public safety cornholes everyday about your great secure systems. Come you dont need a freaking system key to monitor a trunking system that is in the clear. I`m calling you out on this one buddy. All you need buddy is a radio, Moto software and a cable from your radio to the computer.

Call me out all you want, if you want to program your XTS5000 as a system radio on the TRS (read as NOT scanning it conventionally) you will NEED a system key, and your radio WILL try to affiliate (meaning you are now transmitting on a frequency you are not licensed for)

so which part of that isnt illegal? the possession of the system key which is only available to authorized systems (unless you hacked your CPS, or generated your own key), or the transmitting on frequencies you are not licensend for? The fact that a system is encrypted is moot when you are talking about these issues.

and by the way, i wasnt pulling anything out of my arse, nor do i work for moto, or have ever for that matter.... look up the case law regarding the people who got in hot water over getting radios programmed on their local trunked system. it may even be on this site! They were charged with "computer tresspass" which is a felony.

Let not even talk about what happens when an administrator is paying attention, notices your radio and inhibits it.

ill assume you meant to refer to me as gRem, not germ.. ill chock that up to a simple typo.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
LEO frequency scanning should be legal for anyone without a criminal history. This is not difficult to determine. A simple backround check by scanner salesmen would prevent most instances of abuse.

Great idea, do it same way people are checked out when purchasing a firearm at a licensed vendor.

2wayfreq

I for one, don't think any City or County radio technician in his or her right mind is going to risk their job by programming AND keyloading an unauthorized radio on their Trunking System. I know I wouldn't. "Press Radios" would be very expensive and would auto-affiliate anyway which I don't think the Admins would want. Don't know what to tell ya, encryption is inevitable.

Luis_R

Solution? Amateur radio license. Not that difficult.

No not difficult at all. But an ARL or being an employee of a full time news source, etc. doesn't grant you the right to carry on you or in your vehicle a two way radio ( which requires a system key or equivalent proprietary device ) programmed to a LEA's TRS, without consent from the system admin or better yet the LEA's consent. Your said exemption is void ( aside from having a scanner ). Period!!!

Also, there are other subsections in chapter 843 that can also void your exemption. And a two way radio which has been altered or programmed with an illegally obtained system key and without consent of LEA's is not classified as a scanner tampabaynews.

No not difficult at all. But an ARL or being an employee of a full time news source, etc. doesn't grant you the right to carry on you or in your vehicle a two way radio ( which requires a system key or equivalent proprietary device ) programmed to a LEA's TRS, without consent from the system admin or better yet the LEA's consent. Your said exemption is void ( aside from having a scanner ). Period!!!

Also, there are other subsections in chapter 843 that can also void your exemption. And a two way radio which has been altered or programmed with an illegally obtained system key and without consent of LEA's is not classified as a scanner tampabaynews.

Luis shut your face already! Go back to your non reality world and smoke another joint. Thanks for playing buddy.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Your said exemption is void ( aside from having a scanner ). Period!!!
The law says "radio equipment." It does not make a distinction between a scanner or a professional HT. I challenge you to provide a specific example of ANY Florida statute that makes such a distinction. If there is such a statute, I'd like to read it.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber

It is also not against the law to have a radio capable of receiving unencrypted communications if the radio does not transmit, which would similar to a... wait for it... a scanner.

I do have the right because I do not have any radios capable of receiving encrypted transmissions.

I leave you with this quote...

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." - Happy Gilmore

bradpradio7420

Premium Subscriber
who the hell cares about any of this trash talking nonsense!! if someone is willing to spend the money on a professional grade Motorola,Harris, or any other vendors radio and are able to make it work monitoring a unencrypted radio system then good for them, they obviously have alot more money and technical know how then i do. for everyone else that is making a federal case out of that you are probably just jealous that someone has better gear then you do!! as far as encryption it is and is going to continue popping up as the older anolog systems get replaced, the radio sales guys are pushing it hard core and Law Enforcement loves the idea that no one can hear them. encryption is becoming a standard feature on all the new systems. all of the radio systems that were built like 20 years ago probably didnt have encryption because either the technology wasnt as developed as it is now or it would have been very expensive to have implemented it, now encryption dosent cost that much extra(like 200.00 extra a radio) so alot of agencies would rather spend that extra 200.00 a radio and know that nobody can hear them. as far as someone being able to monitor an encrypted system i dont think that is possible yet. but give it enough time and the fact that so many agencies are moving to encryption someone will find a way to crack encryption (illegal or not. if there is a will there is a way to get it done) just like when digital first came out everyone thought that was going to kill the scanning hobby and now look we have digital scanners and everything is fine , its only a matter of time before someone finds out how to break encryption and the radio makers will have to try to come up with some new way to try to keep people from being able to hear systems

who the hell cares about any of this trash talking nonsense!! if someone is willing to spend the money on a professional grade Motorola,Harris, or any other vendors radio and are able to make it work monitoring a unencrypted radio system then good for them, they obviously have alot more money and technical know how then i do. for everyone else that is making a federal case out of that you are probably just jealous that someone has better gear then you do!! as far as encryption it is and is going to continue popping up as the older anolog systems get replaced, the radio sales guys are pushing it hard core and Law Enforcement loves the idea that no one can hear them. encryption is becoming a standard feature on all the new systems. all of the radio systems that were built like 20 years ago probably didnt have encryption because either the technology wasnt as developed as it is now or it would have been very expensive to have implemented it, now encryption dosent cost that much extra(like 200.00 extra a radio) so alot of agencies would rather spend that extra 200.00 a radio and know that nobody can hear them. as far as someone being able to monitor an encrypted system i dont think that is possible yet. but give it enough time and the fact that so many agencies are moving to encryption someone will find a way to crack encryption (illegal or not. if there is a will there is a way to get it done) just like when digital first came out everyone thought that was going to kill the scanning hobby and now look we have digital scanners and everything is fine , its only a matter of time before someone finds out how to break encryption and the radio makers will have to try to come up with some new way to try to keep people from being able to hear systems

Exactly brother! That`s what the radio companies want. Then they get to sell everybody a new system and they make tons of money. It`s a vicious circle, but hey somebodies got to do it.

grem467

but give it enough time and the fact that so many agencies are moving to encryption someone will find a way to crack encryption (illegal or not. if there is a will there is a way to get it done) just like when digital first came out everyone thought that was going to kill the scanning hobby and now look we have digital scanners and everything is fine , its only a matter of time before someone finds out how to break encryption and the radio makers will have to try to come up with some new way to try to keep people from being able to hear systems

Show me a law where listening to an unencrypted signal, be it analog or digital is illegal and ill show you a law that listening to an encrypted signal you are unauthorized to recieve is. Do you honestly believe that uniden, GRE, Joes scanner company, etc will risk legal action against them if they do indeed ever figure out how to work around the encryption?

who the hell cares <SNIP>

The system owners/managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.