Jacksonville, NC Police Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
I have used ARC96 Software to upload numerous NC County Trunked Frequencies from the RR listings to different banks on my PRO96 including the Jacksonville/Onslow County, NC Primary and Alternate Control Channels and all the Jacksonville Police Talk Groups. Previously I was able to pick up some JPD Transmissions but ONLY in the evening.

Lately the entire bank is silent and they are only about 25-30 miles north of me. On the "Settings" section I have tried the "Bandplan Table Editor" when dowloading the frequencies..... but still get nothing.

I am currently using the 12 inch, three band CONDOR Antenna which picks up many other 800 band channels on other banks including some on VIPER in Brunswick County which is about 50 miles away.. I have also been able to monitor JPD with my regular 800MHz Rubber Duck antenna in the past. Lately, neither one brings it in.

Has Jacksonville,NC PD gone to new frequencies, rebanded or.....perhaps encrypted their transmissions????

If rebanded is there another way to identify their new frequencies?

Any Response would be appreciated. Thanks.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
They did reband a while back. I'm still monitoring them with an old STX821. Just heard a few transmissions a few minutes ago. It has to be your location to the tower. It isn't a very strong system, so anywhere much outside of Jacksonville is going to be spotty at best. I'm in Hubert and have a very hard time hearing them with a scanner. Motorola radios don't have a problem, but there is sometimes static with them.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Rescue161,

Probably is the distance and location.
I will take a ride one of these days and see if I pick them up the closer I get to Jacksonville.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
For my scanner, I had to put up a beam and point it towards the tower to get a good signal. I made a little 3 element Yagi and held it in my hand with my handheld scanner and did a 360 in the yard until the signal came in the strongest and that's how I mounted the beam.

The system is a little weak, but once they turn the simulcast system on, things will hopefully get better. They will have a tower in Richlands, Dixon, Hubert, and one at the EOC in the Commons. From the licenses they have set-up, it seems to be a pretty decent system. So only time will tell.

When I lived in Pender County, I could never hear any of the system on a scanner, but an 800 handheld in the window worked just fine. If you live on the beach, things will noisy due to all of the aerial power lines, which create a lot of the noise due to the salt air and moisture. There's lots of dead spots on the island.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Thanks White Helmet,

Any time frame for the simulcast turn on?? Good to hear about the numerous towers. Hopefully that will help.Yes, you're right....I have noticed several deadspots here on the beach.

No time frame that I am aware of, but I know for a fact the tower at the Dixon Water Plant is constructed, has obstruction lighting on it and there are multiple vertical antennas for VHF and 800. The microwave dishes for the paths to Parkertown Rd (Hubert) and Richlands are in place and everything is licensed at each of the sites.

I'm sure it will make a big difference when it goes active. I can't wait.

The beach has been a dead spot on VHF for years. Years ago when I first got into the fire service you could barely hear the fire dispatcher anywhere in NTB on a mobile radio.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Thank you sir,

It is amazing how new technology has improved radio communication and scanning over the years.

I first began to monitored Police and Fire calls in Cleveland, OH back in the 60's with a small cigarette pack sized transistor converter that you would place next to a transistor radio and you could pick up the local radio activity depending on which crystals you had installed. My Dad was a Capt. on the Cleveland Fire Dept and I could hear where Engine 23 was headed and go watch him and his team in action.

Looking forward to the new towers to be put into service. Thanks again for the update.

My source(s) are saying sometime in July/August of this year for the multi-site system to go online, so we'll see.

I can't wait to see how much better (or worse) it will be.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Viper onslow county

Hey White Helmet,

Just got back from Cleveland, OH and.... on my Viper Banks for Onslow and Pender county, I now get a squealing sound like stuck pig. Are they going through more Rebanding.

Will ARC96 Software automatically update so I can eventually download from the software to the scanner?

I appreciate all your updates. Thanks.

Hey White Helmet,

Just got back from Cleveland, OH and.... on my Viper Banks for Onslow and Pender county, I now get a squealing sound like stuck pig. Are they going through more Rebanding.

Will ARC96 Software automatically update so I can eventually download from the software to the scanner?

I appreciate all your updates. Thanks.

They may be in the process of upgrading the VIPER sites in that area to P25 digital. I know the date was approaching, say they are probably working on that..

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
Thanks,
Once they complete the process will it be available for download on the internet software or will we have to manually enter the rebanded frequencies?
JG

Thanks,
Once they complete the process will it be available for download on the internet software or will we have to manually enter the rebanded frequencies?
JG

That I can't tell you Jack. When the Jacksonville and Kuhns VIPER site went P25, I just changed the trunking system type in my scanner, no serious reprogramming necessary, just all new talkgroups etc.

From what I've been told, the VIPER sites in Pender County went P25 yesterday, but I cannot confirm their info or the status of the Holly Ridge site.

Status
Not open for further replies.