• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Jaguar battery connections...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Does anyone know the pinout for the 3 battery connection prongs on the back of a Jag? Bottom one is ground, I know that... Just wondering which is +7.5v and what the 3rd one is for? Looking to make my own battery eliminator...

Thanks!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
I think you use the top one for the positive. I'll check a battery eliminator that I have and get back unless someone else can confirm first. The other can remain unused.

greenthumb

Database Admin
No problem! What voltage regulator did you end up using for that?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Haven't got that far yet actually.... All I did was clip on 7.5vdc from a regulated power supply (ground on the bottom pin, +V on the top) to confirm operation. I just received this radio and don't yet have a battery for it, but more than likely it will get used at my desk 95% of the time... so I'd like to rig something up. Not sure what I'm going to use yet to clip onto the back of the radio. This is where it would be nice to have an old dead battery to gut and just use the shell.

SCPD

QRT
What I did with my LPE is use a battery shell and a gutted charger. So I connected a wall wart to the charger contacts which in turn contacted the battery contacts on the radio. It works just fine .... and the nice thing is that usually there are cheap batteries / chargers on Ebay.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Nice idea! Power and stand all in one. I will have to keep my eyes open for some old hardware to scavenge from.

greenthumb

Database Admin
Haven't got that far yet actually.... All I did was clip on 7.5vdc from a regulated power supply (ground on the bottom pin, +V on the top) to confirm operation. I just received this radio and don't yet have a battery for it, but more than likely it will get used at my desk 95% of the time... so I'd like to rig something up. Not sure what I'm going to use yet to clip onto the back of the radio. This is where it would be nice to have an old dead battery to gut and just use the shell.

That works too! :) I came across a regulator on Mouser a while back that would handle up to 2.0 amps, but couldn't find the IC heat sink to go along with it. That way I could just dump 12 volts into the regulator from a normal power supply. Anyway, you're saving some bucks! Those battery eliminators are like $50-60 each.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
If you are using the radio for RX only (which I am) I can't imagine you would need anything too heavy for a regulator.... Shouldn't be too much current draw there.

greenthumb

Database Admin
You're probably right - as I recall there is something like 1.6 amps drawn on Tx, so for Rx only it should be only a few hundred milliamperes.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've currently got my radio hooked to a little 3A variable power supply set to just a shade under 8v (keeps the battery icon full haha). The heat sink on the voltage regulator is certainly warm but by no means hot to the touch. I'm just using a small set of alligator clips on the rear of the radio to provide power until I come up with a more elegant solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.