"Jamming" interference on FARS ham repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Anyone in southern Alberta listening to the FARS repeater network (VE6HR*/VA6CTV/VE6UP/etc) around 1800 tonight? Some toolbox had it jammed open with music, mike clicks, occasional scanner traffic (mostly sounding like Calgary Police and/or RCMP, so I think it was originating from HRA, HRC, or CTV), random unintelligible whispering, and eventually, loud ripping belches. I tend to listen to CTV/HRC on the way home from work because people spend a while having interesting chats on there, but the only clear comment I caught tonight was when someone cut in with "Sounds like someone's off their Thorazine". :D Seriously, it sounded like CB 6 for a while there.

Eventually they lost interest because nobody would try to break in (I admit I did try once to sign on as 'monitoring' to try to scare them off, no luck).

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Yes

Did hear it most of the day but only had hand held scanner and thus did not listen to the reverse on any of the the FARS frequencies. However, some voices are familiar that were heard when this interference happened. Similar noise heard last evening as well, with the reverse showing that it was on CTV. Some interference happened last fall but has been relatively infrequent with only the clunking of repeaters. Interference does happen just before or during the MARA [sic] net on Sunday evenings 2100 hours. Would be interesting to hear/see if people outside Calgary can hear/see a strong signal on the reverse of all FARS frequencies. Might be able to pin this interference down a little more than has been done already. One has already been found southwest of the city.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

From my talks to other hams, it seems that there is an individual who gets his kicks pulling that kind of thing. I remember hearing all kinds of interference when I lived in Calgary.

avgas

Down here in Medicine Hat there was the same thing going on with Echolink. Some station from the UK had a bunch of repeaters linked together. The same burping and key clicks ect were heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.