January Char-Meck Radio Club MTG Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is a thread to discuss the details of the Inaugural January 2010 Charlotte Mecklenburg Radio Club Meeting at which I will attend.

We need a date (hopefully a Friday night as that would work best in my schedule).

We need a meeting place (somewhere we can meet without too many distractions).

And hopefully we can get something figured out before the end of the month so I can try to get hotel reservations.

Some ideas to roll with based off what we in the Tarheel Scanner/SW Club do each month:

--We have a reliable schedule of the 3rd Monday of most months...only change is for Christmas or other special events.

--We meet at a local restaurant with a meeting room that can be closed off from the rest of the dining crowd. This helps keep noise level down.

--The restaurant we meet at has been gracious enough to let us bring in radios, projector screens, etc to be used during the meetings.

--We have a Yahoo group (Tarheelscanner) to discuss meetings and to post announcements.

I would suggest at least considering some of the above if we want to have a successful Radio Monitoring Group in the Char-Meck area.
And of course a catchy group name would not hurt either :)

Any ideas fellow Radio Geeks?

Looking forward to seeing you in January!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
My Suggestion Gentlemen as to the most important task on the table: finding a meeting spot. Yall coordinate and find a meeting spot. We meet at a local restaurant here in Raleigh that has been gracious enough to put up with about 20 of us at any one time. We also are allowed to use a side room which gives us privacy and ability to hold a meeting without all of the rest of the restaurant noise. So Yall need to help find a meeting spot that can:
1) Be open to having a monthly meeting held there.
2) Have a side room or some other separated space for a meeting.
3) Can handle up to 20 folks.
As a "good to have but not mandatory" feature having access to wall AC jacks is a plus for radio demonstrations.
It does not have to be a restaurant. That is just what has worked for us up here over the last 20 years.
Yall find a spot.
How about Friday, January 15th, 2010 for the date?
Let me know what yall think.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Remember: This is YOUR radio group. I am just helping to get it up and running. If you want it to succeed (and I hope it gets as big as the club up here) you have to help make it happen. I can't do it all from Raleigh.
Be a part of history: The Genesis of the Queen City Scanner/Shortwave Group (or whatever name you wanna give it).
Marshall KE4ZNR

trumpetman

Database Admin
Jan 15 sounds fine on my end, you can count me in. As for locations, I'm still green to the area so you other guys will have to chime in with ideas

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I think it's not likely that a restaurant will make dining space available to a group meeting on a Friday night ... unless their food was really bad, and they weren't expecting to be busy ... or a radio hobbyist is willing to pay to rent the space !

There's nothing to prevent everyone from meeting at a restaurant, where those who choose can get a bite to eat, and then moving to another location for a get-together.

Some churches, libraries, hospitals and schools will make space available for group meetings. Charlotte libraries are no-good this time around, since all the branches close by 6 p.m. on Fridays.

A location close to one of the interstates ... I-85 or I-77 ... might be the most convenient this first time around. Those attending the first meeting can discussion suitable locations for future meetings.

For those who are not familiar with the Tarheel Scanner Group, you might want to subscribe and look through the forum messages for the group. Those members cover a broad range of radio-related topics. Their forum is on Yahoogroups ( Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities ).

mike704

Meeting Place

The Metrolina UHF Group (DStar Ham operators) have been using the Tryon House on Eastway at North Tryon with good results. They have a private meeting room that should hold abut 20 people maybe more. The food is good and reasonably priced.

I'll try to be there wherever you guys decide to meet.

Mike W4DXL

BC-246T
BC-780XLT
Pro-91

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
I'll do my best to attend, it sounds like a great idea. Hopefully there will be a lot of interest and there are definitely enough radio enthusiasts in the area to fill the room.

Jon N4ZVY

bonus1331

Well, karma has struck again...
We finally get Marshall to agree to come down and try and get this party started and I decide to move!
Was offered a chance at a promotion in my company with more responsibility and lots mo' money, and I and the family decided to go for it.
Will be starting the job in Atlanta on the 4th.
Will be 7 years to the day that I relocated the family here from Dallas.
Makes a lot of sense with lots of family in the Atlanta metro area.
Will be commuting up here to Charlotte for a while until my daughter graduates high school.
Have already begun to load Atlanta systems into the radios, although I will only bring the XT until I finalize a place to live within the first month.

Don't let this opportunity to get an active community started here.
I'm already looking forward to attending the Atlanta Scan-In functions.
Will still be active, but to a lesser extent for a bit while I work a ton of hours and figure out where I will be living temporarily.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
Hi Guys...

I'm pretty active in scanning in Seattle, where I live now, but I'll be moving to Charlotte this summer when I complete Paramedic School. A radio group is a great idea, and I was active in SABRE (St Louis All Band Radio Enthusiasts) when I was living in St Louis. It was a great way to trade info, meet fellow radio geeks, play with other people's radios and drool over the new toys that the other guys bought before I did! (That's where I saw my first Astro Saber and that started the love affair with Moto radios.)

I hope you guys are successful, keep it going and I'll see you at a meeting in June or July.

trumpetman

Database Admin
David, that's tough to hear man, but surely you'll make it back up here to meet up with us one night soon once things get settled down on your end. We'll also be looking forward to seeing you Rob.

Just to keep the ball rolling, should we pursue the Tryon House as previously mentioned? Are we still pushing for Jan 15? We gots to start tying up lose ends before it gets too lates folks. Anyone else planning/thinking about attending as well? Let's keep it going, we're off to an awesome start.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Alright,

I just got off the phone with The Tryon House - Eastway to clear make sure it is alright if a group met there friday night on the 15th. I gave a rough time of 1730, but told the lady we're still trying to slate the time/number of people. I estimated 15 at the most to attend, but she said we had leeway with the numbers and time. They're being really flexible right now, so as details are updated, I'll make the call and make sure everything is still good.

Input?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Alright,

I just got off the phone with The Tryon House - Eastway to clear make sure it is alright if a group met there friday night on the 15th. I gave a rough time of 1730, but told the lady we're still trying to slate the time/number of people. I estimated 15 at the most to attend, but she said we had leeway with the numbers and time. They're being really flexible right now, so as details are updated, I'll make the call and make sure everything is still good.

Input?

That sounds good to me. I still have to find some place to crash for the night. This is hell week at work so I have little time to work on other details at the moment but will come up with something soon.
Worse case: I drive down there then drive back. Not the end of the world.
If it means we can get a group started I am willing to take the effort.
Thanks for checking on that C!
Marshall KE4ZNR

fireman2

Premium Subscriber
Put me down for later meeting, Iam very intrested but that is my Daughter's DOB can't make the 15th and still live at home.

Bill28227

Alright,

I just got off the phone with The Tryon House - Eastway to clear make sure it is alright if a group met there friday night on the 15th. I gave a rough time of 1730, but told the lady we're still trying to slate the time/number of people. Input?

That sounds good. I will make it. Do you have an address or cross street?

Bill

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to make arrangements to come to the meeting. The family end of things may be the kicker.

I am in Mooresville and don't leave work until 1700. There is no way I could make it in 30 minutes to the Tryon House. More like an hour or more due to Friday night rush hour in Charlotte!

That said, I may be able to leave work early. I will keep check in this thread and let you guys know.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Well bear in mind, we're still flexible with our time, and it's not gonna hurt anything to come draggin in a lil late. I'm sure for right now, we're just going to have a bite to eat and hang out while we get a feel for how the following meetings are going to be.

Hope you can make it!

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
That sounds good. I will make it. Do you have an address or cross street?
Bill

Bill - It's at North Tryon and Eastway.

You might want to take 485 around the north side, then Hwy 49 south until it runs into Hwy 29 / North Tryon Street.

I guess Eastway is down about a mile ... Tryon House sits on the far left corner. It's probably easiest to make a left at the light, then a right into the lot.

For folks coming south on I-85, it's probably easiest to get off at the W.T. Harris exit (exit 45A ?), and go east to Hwy 29 / North Tryon, and turn right.

For folks coming north on I-85, it's probably easiest to get off at the Sugar Creek Road exit, and turn right. Go down to Hwy 29 / North Tryon, and make a left. The restaurant will be on your right.

Folks coming south on I-77 might want to get off at the W.T. Harris exit, and go east. Cross over I-85, continue to Hwy 29 / North Tryon Street, and turn right.

For those with GPS, or if you need additional information:

Tryon House Restaurant
130 Eastway Drive Charlotte, NC 28213

704-598-2611

BTW - both CMPD and Viper (Heathway) have closeby sites. Nothing longer than a paperclip should be needed to receive them at the restaurant.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Sorry Bill, I completely missed your post, but I think Jeff did a damn good job giving you all the details.

Jeff, are you gonna try and make it up here for the meeting?

Status
Not open for further replies.