JC or Manhattan area

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatertj

Anyone scanning digital in these areas? Im right outside Junction city and want to get a digital scanner to listen to the state wide KSICS but idk if i can pick anything up around here. Counties are Geary and Riley county if someone out of this area is reading this.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
Geary and Riley county are still conventional analog VHF and UHF (check the DB). I scan them when I go to Manhattan. KHP is digital but there is lots of activity on the VHF and UHF frequencies.

Geary County and Junction city are most active on 460.500 and 460.100.
Riley County is active on 154.875 and 154.445.

The above is just PD/Sheriff, check the database for EMS/Fire frequencies.

skatertj

I am aware of all the VHF and UHF frequencies because i live in the area but im more curious about if i can pick any digital up around this area. Im ready to upgrade scanners from my pro-2055 and am thinking of going digital since JC is trying to convert currently.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
What's the story on JC? Are they planing on getting on the state system or a separate system of their own?

Sorry, I thought you may have been visiting or were new to the area.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
I am aware of all the VHF and UHF frequencies because i live in the area but im more curious about if i can pick any digital up around this area. Im ready to upgrade scanners from my pro-2055 and am thinking of going digital since JC is trying to convert currently.

Unfortunately, there is no way we can give you a difinitive answer. For example, if you are living on the west side of JC, up on bluff, you will likely have no issues catching KSICS digital traffic from any of the surrounding tower sites (Dwight to your southeast, Dillon to your southwest or Wakefield to your north). Unfortunately, if you are down in the valley you may have issues depending on your antenna setup.

There is plenty of KHP traffic in that area on KSICS and I expect that it will continue to grow and have more agencies come aboard over time.

skatertj

What's the story on JC? Are they planing on getting on the state system or a separate system of their own?

Sorry, I thought you may have been visiting or were new to the area.

JC is trying to convert to digital, i believe by the end of the year. I dont know if they will be joining the State system or just have JC on a different system but i do know they are trying to convert over. I believe they are just waiting for a grant to pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatertj View Post
Unfortunately, there is no way we can give you a difinitive answer. For example, if you are living on the west side of JC, up on bluff, you will likely have no issues catching KSICS digital traffic from any of the surrounding tower sites (Dwight to your southeast, Dillon to your southwest or Wakefield to your north). Unfortunately, if you are down in the valley you may have issues depending on your antenna setup.

There is plenty of KHP traffic in that area on KSICS and I expect that it will continue to grow and have more agencies come aboard over time.

Well, i have time to continue to save up for a digital and im in no rush unless my scanner breaks at some point. I also dont live in JC. I currently am on the army base near the high points of the base but I will be doing alot of JC driving. If i end up getting a digital scanner, i plan to upgrade my antenna cause i only currently have a larsen 1/4 vhf. I might get a larsen triband at some point this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.