• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Jedi/XTS series antenna suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Hello all and thanks for reading.

I would like the forum readers input on the best performing handheld antennas that fit the XTS3000/MTSX
series of radios. It is my understanding xts3000 and mtsx radios use the same antennas. Bands of interest are VHF (145-160mhz) and UHF (443-470). Essentially I need the VHF to cover 2m ham, MURS and marine. I need the UHF to cover 70cm FM and GMRS. I would like no longer than 8 inches.

For VHF, in the past I have used the motorola dipole 8505518V01. I was satisfied and am leaning to this. Anything better?

For UHF, I see a variety of options, but wonder if something will provide better reception in my band of interest. I don't live in a major metropolis, so I don't need UHF-T band coverage. I believe my uhf radio (hamfest bargain) came with one of those wideband 5 inch antennas, which I find performs quite poorly compared to the stock vhf/uhf antenna off of a wouxun. That is for UHF 5 inch OEM poor, wouxun antenna on the moto's worked great, but it does look funny, hence I don't like.

Thanks,

KB5UDF->W5JAB

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
I can't say anything as as far as the VHF antenna but as far as the PMA antenna I have a genuine stubby antenna that outperforms the PMA antenna on the transmit side. The receive side barely underperforms the PMA and it's less than half the size. There are much better antennas. I don't know the model number but I'll try to include the photo of the one that will work one of the best on these radios.
1b66c85e4b0095959e0ab601beae71c0.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

N4KVE

I have been using the NAE6549AR UHF antenna since the Jedi came out in the early 90's. Full 380-520 UHF coverage. Been using it on MTS2000's, XTS3000's, 2500's, & 5000's. Also on my APX6000, & XPR6550. None better. I have no idea what that antenna is in the above post. Looks like a Linda Wang special.
http://www.radioparts.com/motorola-nae6549ar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.