Jeep Wrangler JK temporary ham radio installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up a new Jeep Wrangler a couple of days ago and had to get on the air mobile.

I'm using a tri-band Kenwood TH-D74 which covers 144/220/440 and does D-Star, APRS, and FM

temp-mobile-1.jpg

It's connected via a short run of RG-174 to a dual band amplifier sitting on the passenger floor. The amp takes the 5 Watts from the TH-D74 and boosts it to 30 Watts. (It's an old RF Concepts Amp which isn't made any more).

temp-mobile-2.jpg

The amp goes to a Maxrad NMO Mag Mount mounted on the Jeep's cowl. https://www.amazon.com/PCTEL-Maxrad-Magnetic-Antenna-RG-58A/dp/B007JS2OK0 The coax is just slammed in the door right now. (Did I mention this was temporary :) )

temp-mobile-3.jpg

I have a Larsen 2/70 Dual Band Antenna mounted on the mag mount PulseLarsen NMO-2/70B Black Antenna Mobile Dual Band 2m-70cm, NMO2/70B Black

It works surprisingly well. I was worried there might be some interaction between the Jeep's nearby AM/FM antenna, but there isn't.

Next step is to go more permanent and install my IC-7000. They make a spare tire holder mount that will fit the HF antenna and fender mounts for the VHF/UHF. I'm waiting for the warmer weather to do it.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Looks good and serves the purpose to get you on the air in a hurry. Keep us posted on the next phase with the 7000! By the way, nice radio choice with the D74! What's your take on it? You like it?

IZ3QVB

wow, I like very much the JK (more JKU cause i like carry all my stuff & friend at same time), think it's the best moder car can drivie everywhere with a radio, passion w/o frontier!!!
Have other mod for II battery? specific antenna mount?
to finish, more pics more fun! ;) :D and yes GROCKSHD make your own with A LOT OF PIC!

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Looks good and serves the purpose to get you on the air in a hurry. Keep us posted on the next phase with the 7000! By the way, nice radio choice with the D74! What's your take on it? You like it?

Thanks..

The D74 is a great radio. It works well on 144/220 and 440. It has AM, SSB, CW general coverage down to 30 Khz, but it's crappy without a decent external antenna. That's the only downside to the radio..

But, my IC-7000 has general coverage too and I use that the odd time when I want to listen to shortwave when I'm on the road.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I know how you feel when you get that new Jeep and are anxious to get your radios installed.

Nice setup.. It's pretty well what I want to do antenna wise with the fender mount and the spare tire mount on my JK.

What holds your 400DR in place in the dash tray? (That's where I'm planning on putting my IC-7000).

Status
Not open for further replies.