Jeffco Sheriff Department to hand off fire, EMS dispatch duties to Evergreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
"Part of the move...includes unifying the radio system, so the mountain area fire departments can all talk directly to each other..."

What exactly are they referring to? Anything new or significant?

Jeffco Sheriff Department to hand off fire, EMS dispatch duties to Evergreen - TheFlume.com

The Camp George West area and the Taj Mahal, both in Golden, historically handled EMS and Fire communication for Elk Creek, Intercanyon, Indian Hills, Foothills and North Fork Fire. Evergreen did their own and recently upgraded to a brand-new dispatch center and burn building for Fire and EMS. JeffCo would handle some Evergreen calls but immediately handed off to Evergreen.
Now, Elk Creek, Intercanyon, Indian Hills, Foothills, Genessee and maybe Pleasant View (Not sure on the last one, still dispatched by West Metro) and North Fork Fire.will be dispatched solely by the new dispatch center in Evergreen (Which I had the privilege to tour with a friend). No calls will come in for Fire or EMS to JeffCo in Golden unless Sheriff happens to get it first, like it is in other jurisdictions.

The whole downsized concentration is/will be on my feed.

Camp George West, and Lakewood City and County building will continue their Emergency preparedness bunkers.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
The Camp George West area and the Taj Mahal, both in Golden, historically handled EMS and Fire communication for Elk Creek, Intercanyon, Indian Hills, Foothills and North Fork Fire. Evergreen did their own and recently upgraded to a brand-new dispatch center and burn building for Fire and EMS. JeffCo would handle some Evergreen calls but immediately handed off to Evergreen.
Now, Elk Creek, Intercanyon, Indian Hills, Foothills, Genessee and maybe Pleasant View (Not sure on the last one, still dispatched by West Metro) and North Fork Fire.will be dispatched solely by the new dispatch center in Evergreen (Which I had the privilege to tour with a friend). No calls will come in for Fire or EMS to JeffCo in Golden unless Sheriff happens to get it first, like it is in other jurisdictions.

The whole downsized concentration is/will be on my feed.

Camp George West, and Lakewood City and County building will continue their Emergency preparedness bunkers.

Okay, very interesting. So, are they planning to change anything relating to radio systems, talk groups, frequencies, sites, etc?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
"Part of the move...includes unifying the radio system, so the mountain area fire departments can all talk directly to each other..."

What exactly are they referring to? Anything new or significant?

They way the article makes it sound is that they would be moving primary dispatch operations over to a single frequency/channel in order to make dispatching more efficient and better mutual aid cooperation. I don't monitor the Jefferson County so pardon me if I'm not correct, but the database makes it look as if all the agencies are dispatched on their own individual frequency and would respond on their respective frequencies. The switchover might mean that all those individual systems could be tied into each other. It would mean dispatch operations that would be more like what you find on Boulder County's Red-1 and Douglas County's Fire Dispatch-1 where you have many agencies working off one channel (until they are assigned something else).

lazierfan

Feed Provider
Okay, very interesting. So, are they planning to change anything relating to radio systems, talk groups, frequencies, sites, etc?

Should be as simple as:
Everything was VHF, its still VHF after the move.

Probably as simple as:

a workstation for every district, and every workstation in one room.

The additional complications come when they have to interface with sheriff, or West Metro. Those two, of course, are P25 and/or the statewide DTRS. But only for interoperability to those two.

Park County is also VHF for Fire and EMS. As is Gilpin and Clear Creek.

lazierfan

Feed Provider
They way the article makes it sound is that they would be moving primary dispatch operations over to a single frequency/channel in order to make dispatching more efficient and better mutual aid cooperation. I don't monitor the Jefferson County so pardon me if I'm not correct, but the database makes it look as if all the agencies are dispatched on their own individual frequency and would respond on their respective frequencies. The switchover might mean that all those individual systems could be tied into each other. It would mean dispatch operations that would be more like what you find on Boulder County's Red-1 and Douglas County's Fire Dispatch-1 where you have many agencies working off one channel (until they are assigned something else).
I think the unified frequency will come eventually. The move and unified dispatchers were a big step to take now.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Foothills & Highlands units are currently handling a serious MVA on I-70, and they were going to move all traffic to Fire NW Tac. However, I swear I heard Evergreen Dispatch advise they do not have Fire NW, and units moved back to Foothills Dispatch (1513). Notably it appears CPR was in-progress during the confusion about which channel to use.

Why on earth wouldn't Evergreen Dispatch have Jeffco Fire NW?

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Maybe its because Jeffco Fire NW is Jefferson County's TG and they were unwilling to authorize Evergreen to utilize it. If Evergreen is going to be a full service fire dispatch center, then why wouldn't they have applied for and received adequate TG for their system? Why wouldn't they switch the operation units to a fireground that is owned by Evergreen Dispatch?

Its just a guess on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.