Jefferson Co. police air concerns about new radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSERABBIT

BM82557 Thanks for this post. The statment made by Polcynski that "no network can provide perfect reception" is a cop out. I believe that they are working to make the system as good as it can be, however when lives are on the line that may be a poor expectation. The fact is that Berkeley County works well should be the ONLY criteria acceptable in order for the Jefferson system to go live. The public safety responders and the public deserve nothing less. If the responders wonder whether or not they can get out on their radios, service without confidence will certainly hamper their efforts. That in itself is dangerous all around. I hope the Journal picks up on this situation and covers it as well.

EMTB644

Digital Trunking in Berkeley County, WV

The digital trunking system in Berkeley County does not always work well. There are many "dead spots" in Berkeley County where digital radios are useless, just ask any Berkeley County Sheriff's Deputy.

JESSERABBIT

EMTB644, thanks for that information. I wasn't aware of that problem. If it has been previously posted I apologize. I wonder if the "powers that be" are aware of that situation and if so, are going to try for a fix. Maybe the problems with the Jefferson system will provide them with an incentive to implement a good fix now that the Jefferson situation has been aired in public. mike s104 that fireground change may very well be a reaction to the Prince William incident. If so, at least someone in Loudoun is looking out for the users who may be most in peril of finding out the hard way.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Well you cant have a great radio system with one tower for the whole county, it aint gonna work, no matter what kind of system you have, if you build more towers you will have a better radio system. Oh and one tower high up on a mountain doesnt cut it either.

They can have a number of configurations for towers, 3 towers one in the middle, one in Washington County directed back towards the North end of the county and one is Virginia covering the South end or they can have four towers one in each corner (which would be overkill I think) any number of combinations would be better than that one tower.

I was in Shepherds Town this past week and could not pick up the system on a portable, but once connected to an outside antenna I had maybe 3-4 bars on my 396 and it wasnt solid all of the time.

Nate

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Well you cant have a great radio system with one tower for the whole county, it aint gonna work, no matter what kind of system you have, if you build more towers you will have a better radio system. Oh and one tower high up on a mountain doesnt cut it either.

They can have a number of configurations for towers, 3 towers one in the middle, one in Washington County directed back towards the North end of the county and one is Virginia covering the South end or they can have four towers one in each corner (which would be overkill I think) any number of combinations would be better than that one tower.

I was in Shepherds Town this past week and could not pick up the system on a portable, but once connected to an outside antenna I had maybe 3-4 bars on my 396 and it wasnt solid all of the time.

Nate

exactly what I was thinking the other day. Loudoun VA's trunked system has about 5 or so sites.

swhetsell

Dead Spots

I see people on many of the forums talking about the notorious 'dead spots' that the WV IRP system has. Thinking that any radio system will work 100% everywhere is a fool's dream. Everyone is praising the analog radio systems right now saying how wonderful they are compared to the digital system, but I assure you there are pleanty of dead spots with the analog systems too. However, I have noticed a good difference between the analog and digital systems. With digital, your radio will let you know if you aren't communicating with the tower. That is an undeniable confirmation that your transmission has went out. However, I haven't seen an analog conventional radio give me the same comfort. Many times on both portable and mobile I have tried to get out on conventional analog and have not received a reply from dispatch. That leaves me wondering if my radio is working right, if i'm not hitting the tower, or if dispatch is just deciding not to answer (or too busy to answer right then). The cellular phone network has been in development for decades, and you still don't have perfect reception everywhere, and there's many places (especially in West Virginia) where there is no coverage at all. I agree that further development will help make the system better by adding tower sites, but that comes at a cost. The architects of the system have to balance the cost to efficiency ratio. Best hopes on most system designs (around the county) that I have seen for statewide coverage are 95-100% mobile coverage and 85-90% portable coverage. I think it is too early to 'bash' the system while it is still in development. The 'Powers At Be' are still laying the groundwork to establish basic functionality throughout the state. Give them a chance to do their jobs, and you might be surprised. And trust me, they are keeping an eye on quality / coverage issues with every part of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.