Jefferson County migration to MARCS-IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Local law enforcement agencies were presented with 36 digital portable radios through a grant. The Hearld Star is reporting the switch for Jefferson county from analog to digital will happen on March 31st.

Last edited:

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
thanks to live scanner feeds for killing the hobby here in the valley

thumbs up

The live feed has not been on line for a month or so. I did listen to it but I have Siren on my iPhone and with a vpn connection I can listen to what I want.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

durango5550

Booger D.
i know , I had a nice conversation with the 911 admin here in belmont county and he said a small reason for the change ( encryption ) was due to the live feed broadcast. another reason was it wasn't as expensive to do these radios as compared to putting it on the old radios. Anyway before the forum police shut me down ill get back on subject.

I was not aware that Jefferson was going to switch to MARCS IP , thought they were gonna have their own system still. That's cool though gives me a reason to listen to the IP system when they make the switch. I just know all their current equipment is not capable of a phase 2 system and that's what IP is , is it not?

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
Yes, they will be apart of the IP system one day soon. Jefferson County 911 and OSP Post 41 will be on 800. MHz simulcast.

I am not sure of the current equipment if it is capable of phase 2.

Last edited:

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
well I can not find a cc for marcs ip in Jefferson. I am confused on how o-dot and others on marcs-ip are using it

durango5550

Booger D.
most of the equipment they had was replaced when the rebanding was done with nextel. the mcs and most mts portables were replaced with xtl2500 mobiles and xts portables. there are still a few mts portables in use. none of that equipment is phase 2 compatible all mobiles and portables would have to be upgraded to apx

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
they must be on the germano tower cause they are peers with st.c tower and also must be using the Bridgeport tower when in the area

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
ODOT used neighboring towers because Jefferson County has no Marcs IP towers active yet.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
i know , I had a nice conversation with the 911 admin here in belmont county and he said a small reason for the change ( encryption ) was due to the live feed broadcast. another reason was it wasn't as expensive to do these radios as compared to putting it on the old radios. Anyway before the forum police shut me down ill get back on subject.

I was not aware that Jefferson was going to switch to MARCS IP , thought they were gonna have their own system still. That's cool though gives me a reason to listen to the IP system when they make the switch. I just know all their current equipment is not capable of a phase 2 system and that's what IP is , is it not?

Not all of their current equipment is/was upgradable to P25 Phase 1. MARCS-IP is Phase 2 capable [or will be], but I haven't seen anyone using Phase 2 talkgroups. Eventually down the road that will happen though.

It's not that the equipment isn't Phase 2 capable, it's that some of the equipment isn't P25-trunking capable. Some of the equipment is old enough that it cannot be upgraded from Moto Type II trunking to P25 trunking. But it's like that for everyone in every county. This county is not unique.

Not only will JeffCo's simulcast morph into a P25 simulcast, but it definitely will be part of MARCS-IP. In fact, it's more than part of MARCS-IP. The Zone 3 controller is here in Jefferson Co and JeffCo and MARCS have a certain relationship whereby infrastructure assets are shared in the county between MARCS and JeffCo.

So it's not a question of IF, it's simply a question of when.

Mike

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
I just wonder if they are going to use the same 800mhz frequencies they have or have a different set of frequencies?

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I just wonder if they are going to use the same 800mhz frequencies they have or have a different set of frequencies?

They will be using the existing five frequencies and should have a total of 13 frequencies on the new P 25 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.