Jefferson County - North Simulcast ( Never Broadcast )

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Do you mean you are not hearing traffic on it or not picking it up?

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Where are you in relation to JeffCo? If you are north of there you probably won't get a signal because, I have been told, the north site transmits in a southern direction and the south site transmits in a northern direction. I live in SW city and can just barely pick up the south site....sometimes. I hear nothing from the north site.

onegrave

I live just south of Arnold for years. i have a bass scanner and a mobile. I travel south all the time. I have never heard the north simulcast. I have a bass antenna and can hear most neighboring counties. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issue.

Thank You For Your Time

Bill

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Were you able to hear the north site previously? If so, maybe there has been a frequency change for that site. Or maybe you locked out something by mistake. We have all done that at one time or another. Just trying to help.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Are you receiving data/decode from north or just no traffic? There's a difference. The way SLATER is programmed into radios most of the users TGs have a site priority tied to the Talkgroup. I can't travel south from St. Louis County on my talk group and affiliate to Jeffco. It's meant to keep voice channels/frequencies from being tied up. If the radios are programmed to affiliate to "South" then they may never affiliate to North. SLATER St. Louis Co is set up similarly.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Why is it that Jefferson Co - North Simulcast never broadcast. I have never heard any traffic in the north. I hear all the traffic for the south. I always updated my scanner. Can anyone help?

You had some replies in your other thread about this. Jefferson County - North Simulcast ( Never Broadcast )

I'm not sure anyone really knows the answer though.
The Jeffco North site is on the air for sure, I just checked. I can hear its control channel from here in Chesterfield but the south site is much stronger for me as the south sites antenna pattern cover the area to the north of the county so they aim north more in my direction.
The north sites antenna pattern has that sites antennas aiming south of the county away from my area which explains the much weaker signal.
The two sites make use of highly directional antenna arrays, like most simulcast sites, so you may not be getting the signal you think you are.
It's also highly likely the north sites signal is being wiped out due to LSM depending on which model scanner you have. LSM can kill the best of signals for almost all scanner models. There are only a couple radios made for the hobby market that handle LSM correctly.
The south site may not be a problem for older scanners and LSM at your location. LSM is tricky and may or may not affect you when using an older scanner not designed to handle LSM. What make and model scanner are you using?

As far as actual voice traffic on the North site, I don't know really know the answer. Being a weak signal for me, I don't monitor its control channel very often. When I have watched that sites control channel, there were voice channel grants so the site is used for sure but I can't say how much compared to the South site.

Last edited:

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
It’s broadcasting and functioning the way it is intended. If you cannot pick up the south site, which is where most of the traffic is anyway, you will have to fix that on your end I’m afraid. Pretend it doesn’t exist.

onegrave

Hello

I'm just wondering if anyone has trouble picking up the north site in Jefferson County. I get two bars on my scanner but I never hear any traffic. I just upgraded my antenna. I'm getting other sites in different counties. I have been told that the antenna is focused to the south. I'm in Imperial and only get to bars.

Thanks In Advance For any Suggestions

onegrave@yahoo.com

Bill

daddyjohn

It would really help if you could tell us what type of scanner and what system you are trying to get.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hello

I'm just wondering if anyone has trouble picking up the north site in Jefferson County. I get two bars on my scanner but I never hear any traffic. I just upgraded my antenna. I'm getting other sites in different counties. I have been told that the antenna is focused to the south. I'm in Imperial and only get to bars.

Thanks In Advance For any Suggestions

onegrave@yahoo.com

Bill

How many times are you going to ask this same question?

Status
Not open for further replies.