JEMS Frequencies & Narrowbanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the deadline for narrowbanding looming closer each day, does anyone know what is happening with the VHF EMS frequencies (EMS1-4)? Has anyone heard what the counties are planning on doing and when?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2WAYMAN

Jems frequencies and narrowbanding

1-18-12 1717 HOURS EST
RE: JEMS FREQUENCIES..........
Per the FCC mandate, ALL VHF and UHF frequencies, except those regulated by Part 90 of the FCC Rules which are specifically for low power paging only, are subject to the narrowbanding mandate. Each individual LICENSEE is responsible, as far as I understand having read that mandate, for their own licensing modification and implementation of same, including inventory of all present equipment for compliance.
Trying to stay "ahead of schedule", in September, 2011, I sent in license modification applications through the FCC website for all of my municipality's licenses, including the mobile only license for the special emergency frequencies (JEMS frequencies). Only last week did I receive all six licenses (hard copies) with the narrowbanding modifications as requested.
If you have not yet done so, I strongly urge you to file all of your license modification applications NOW since it took them from Sept. 2011 until the first week of the new year for ours to be processed, and I very much suspect that as the deadline looms closer, they will be flooded with applications and many
licensses will not make that cutoff date and technically be in violation. Will the "narrowbanding police" come knocking on your door, most likely no...however the fine for violation of the mandate isn't cheap and your governing body will be asking you a lot of questions if you are the one responsible for maintaining your radio systenm(s) and updating your FCC licenses!!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
With the deadline for narrowbanding looming closer each day, does anyone know what is happening with the VHF EMS frequencies (EMS1-4)? Has anyone heard what the counties are planning on doing and when?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

With the last renewal of their license in Feb 2011, the emission designator hadn't been changed, and thus far no modification has been submitted according to the FCC database. The last license was issued with the condition that JEMS be compliant by the date set by the FCC (01/01/2013), so it's not exempt despite being part of Part 90.35 of the FCC rules. But AFAIK no news has come down the pipe to the squads around here.

For most towns here in Union County, the switch will be pretty simple. That is, for the towns that haven't already been FMN for the last 5 years or so. It's just a matter of license modifications, and reprogramming equipment. The problem is going to come for the towns that do need to replace base equipment, some of which is easily 25+ years old.

Last edited:

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
Remember, changing the Emission Designator does not mean you are 12.5 . I worked with a ton of FD/EMS who had no idea they actually had to program their subscribers. The ones that did only did a handful at a time.

joedisp

Premium Subscriber
JEMS Frequencies;

JEMS Frequencies;

The state of New Jersey does not hold a license for these frequencies, NJDOH OEMS authorizes users only.

Each licensee is reasonable for filing their own license modification; and ensuring the re-programing of their equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.