JEMS Plan revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
I heard a rumor that the state is revising the JEMS plan and has told EMS agencies to start budgeting for new radios...

Any ideas if they are putting interop talkgroups on the NJICS system? Hope they get better coverage on that system first.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Are you referring to GEM ambulance which is located in Lakewood New jersey ?

No, he's referring to the JEMS, or Jersey Emergency Medical Services, communications plan as defined in § 8:40 (BLS) and § 8:41 (ALS) of the New Jersey Administrative Code. All ALS/BLS units are required to be equipped per the plan. MONOC actually got slammed pretty hard back in 2018 for having non-function or non-present JEMS radios after they switched to the overpriced door stop that was Sonim.

1633044783745.png

I heard a rumor that the state is revising the JEMS plan and has told EMS agencies to start budgeting for new radios...

Any ideas if they are putting interop talkgroups on the NJICS system? Hope they get better coverage on that system first.

I think it is highly unlikely they will alter the JEMS comm plan for JEMS 2 through JEMS 4 not to be on conventional frequencies. One of the biggest points is JEMS is supposed to be sustainable in a major scenario. And let's be honest, the only time they get used any more is when stuff really hits the fan. But when it does, like say...a second Sandy...I wouldn't want to depend on having JEMS on a trunked system.

Last edited:

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
I do agree that VHF is probably the best but with all the agencies switching over to 700mhz and trunked, It wouldnt surprise me if they change the interoperability channels to that spectrum with trunking to save on radios.

Just a thought.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Apparently the state agrees. It's been basically the same for 41 years for a reason.
I personally also think if it really really hits the fan that dependable age-old simplex SPEN 1-4 will shine. SPEN 2 being the national police frequency. That's why I think JEMS will stay the way it is, just the way SPEN will.

statewidehq

" Apparently the state agrees. It's been basically the same for 41 years for a reason. "

Big things happening at the state level, many high level people that have been around for 30, 40 and 50 years all retiring. Many of the newer people are not true old fashioned "radio" people and get goose bumps when the product salesman rides into town pitching their snake oil.
Get ready for many big changes.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have had a few QSOs with one of those retiring people. You can never match the knowledge and experience of someone like that. I'm 68 this month and monitoring since I was 10. All of this knowledge retires when we die.

We know the intentions of the vendors and being in pay to play New Jersey, it's not Public Safety.

I guess it's no different than anything else that's going on but I hope somebody is smart enough to keep those systems intact that were deliberately created to perform no matter what.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
" Apparently the state agrees. It's been basically the same for 41 years for a reason. "

Big things happening at the state level, many high level people that have been around for 30, 40 and 50 years all retiring. Many of the newer people are not true old fashioned "radio" people and get goose bumps when the product salesman rides into town pitching their snake oil.

While that's a fair point at the state level, I think you wholly underestimate the EMS personnel in the state when it comes to their awareness for the need for a fail safe interop and their willingness to protect it.

jaymatt1978

People need to start realizing the difference between replacement and addition.. ALL and I MEAN ALL 700MHz also have VHF and UHF capabilities, they were designed that way on purpose. It's possible it will all go Phase II eventually but even that is taking a very long time.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
People need to start realizing the difference between replacement and addition.. ALL and I MEAN ALL 700MHz also have VHF and UHF capabilities, they were designed that way on purpose. It's possible it will all go Phase II eventually but even that is taking a very long time.

ALL 700mhz radios do NOT have capabilities of VHF and UHF

K2NEC

I think what he means is that many agencies have gone with APX7000/7500, APX8000/8500, or similar non /\/\otorola multi-band models with interop in mind.
Which is still not true. I know plenty of agencies that strictly use their own channel and rely on dispatch to relay information. People severely underestimate how dumb others are with radios. A lot of people with a radio know to use channel 1 and 2 and press the big button to talk. They wont know to switch to zone 3, channel 4 to interop with xyz town.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Which is still not true. I know plenty of agencies that strictly use their own channel and rely on dispatch to relay information. People severely underestimate how dumb others are with radios. A lot of people with a radio know to use channel 1 and 2 and press the big button to talk. They wont know to switch to zone 3, channel 4 to interop with xyz town.

Usage and capability are two entirely different issues.

jaymatt1978

I got ahead of myself and should have explained. I di dn't mean ALL 700MHz radios but the ones I have seen do. "Replacement" is a funny word because I have yet to find a town, county or state agency that -uses 700MHz radio no longer has access to VHF/UHF radios. We're not talking using themm on a regular basis, but have them just in case
ALL 700mhz radios do NOT have capabilities of VHF and UHF

magic_lantern

Have to agree,, with the loss of the old timers the future looks bleak for simple, reliable radio communications. One has to wonder where the state system is headed. The new people coming into the RF communications field think that "IP" is interoperability and the save all for emergency comms.

Status
Not open for further replies.