JEMSTAR Helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Posted on Facebook:

JEMSTAR I – JEMSTAR II
University Hospital proudly announces the expansion of New Jersey’s Air Medical Rescue Helicopter NorthSTAR. Effective Sunday August 4, 2019 in conjunction with the New Jersey State Police and the New Jersey Department of Health, Air Medical Services will expand to two aircraft statewide. The “Maximum Public Benefit Model” Mobile Air Medical Care (JEMSTAR Program) will continue to provide free helicopter medevac services state wide. The service will modify its operational hours to initially include two aircraft 12 hours per day, 365 days of the year. The aircraft will utilize call signs JEMSTAR I and JEMSTAR II; they will use their respective Base of Operations (BoO) at NorthSTAR’s Somerset Airport and SouthSTAR’s Hammonton Airport Base.
Safe passage to all of our JEMSTAR Flight crews!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So basically three years and one month after they ceased operation of SouthSTAR, they're bringing it back and renaming both airships.

Interesting that they mention the '12 hour per day' operation. Does NorthSTAR currently provide 24 hour coverage? So basically instead of operating NorthSTAR 24 hours per day, they're going to cut that in half and instead man both airships for only 12 hours a day, letting private medevacs cover the rest of the time? :unsure:

Devilz311

I’m assuming they are going to be 12 hours until they can hire enough staff for cover both ships 24/7. University will be staffing both bases; there’s job postings on their website.

elias1988

Feed Provider
I’m sure they will be using the normal North and South medevac channels on the 700 and 800 MHz systems.

elias1988

Feed Provider
REMCS just conducted the morning radio/Outerlink check with no mention of the new call signs.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
JEMSTAR 3 also announced to be coming in the next few months. I heard it will be based out of Trenton. Curious if the ships will still be available 24/7 for law enforcement operations and just medical crews will be available during the day or if all LE will just be consolidated to Trenton.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Further info:

Our hours are adjusted to best meet the needs of the state by providing the maximum public benefit model. Service hours are 10:00 am - 22:00 hours. Two ships are in service today and the third aircraft JEMSTAR III will be added in a few months for peak time utilization.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
What is the dispatch procedure?

1. free helo
2. free helo from other end of state
3. helo with $30,000 bill

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
Can someone please clarify.
What call signs are both the northern and southern ships using?
Did NorthStar modify its hours to be only a part-time ship?

Thanks in advance

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
JemSTAR 1 former NorthSTAR out of Somerset Airport
JemSTAR 2 former SouthSTAR out of Hammonton Airport
JemSTAR 3 (future ship)

According to the FB postings both ships are going to be operating as medevacs from 10AM - 10PM daily. I understand that the ships will be manned for law enforcement operations 24/7.

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
They should be on the existing medevac north and south talkgroups just like they've always been.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
"SouthStar 2" took a job in Camden County this afternoon.

If I understand this right from what I've been told, this new plan puts three NJSP helos on during daylight thanks to a bunch of new pilots being graduated from the academy and flight checked. Two for primarily JEMSTAR, one for law enforcement only. Then two for LE at night.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
I read here that JEMSTAR is free vs. the $30k from the private medevacs. While the former NJSP SouthSTAR and NorthSTAR were free on the flight side (NJSP, paid out of MV reg surcharge) you would still receive a bill from either Virtua Health or University Hosp for the treatment by their flight med staff, drugs, etc. Is that not still the case? Virtua is out but University Hospital, not NJSP, are still providing medical staff and supplies.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
It's New Jersey nothing is free! You'll see at least one mind blowing bill weeks after the flight...o_O

mondaro

Feed Provider
I got to speak to a friend of mine which is a flight nurse for the Jemstar program for are using Medical Personal from UMDNJ. Two now as we all know 10a to 10p, State DOH don't think people get injured between 10p and 10a, shame on them. plans for a third power ship/helicopter to go in down the road at Trenton Mercer Airport, my source tells me might be a reach just no medical personal for it right now. the previous post is correct all has to do with the billing of the private helicopters, the goal is having JEMSTAR doing the on-scene work and the private doing the interfaculty transports, someone got pissed off in Trenton and spurred these changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.