• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Jenkins county

phillbilly88

Hi I want to know of any ham radio clubs in jenkins county (millen ga) and I'm also wanting to take my test to get a license to be able to transmit I've just bought a radioddity gd77 and have it programmed as a scanner but I know I can have a blast being able to transmit on a dmr repeater please reply and any help is appreciated thanks

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Here's the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) list of exam sites. If this web link does not show Georgia, you can set search parameters, like zip code or state. I don't see an upcoming exam listed in Millen, GA, but you can request an examination through a club or cluster of volunteer examiners.

Find an exam session - Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area
Find a ham club - Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

The arrl.org website has plenty of links and resources to help you pass the Technician level exam. There are plenty of sites that will test you on the various sections of that exam. Get your scores to 90% and then sit the exam. Find a club and a mentor. Have fun, along the way!!!

phillbilly88

Thank you for your help but I don't see any test locations within 2 hours of driving distance from me so it will be awhile before I can join the ham radio community I guess also I have been learning a lot about dmr radios and have been listening (not transmitting) Haha and I cant wait until I'm able to use my radio to it's full capacity so far I just have a scanner

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, rapidcharger, for the W5YI reminder.

There is a third option. You can request an examination by three Volunteer Examiners (VEs). Start local and work your way out from your home. If there's a club nearby, contact them, go to a meeting, and ask. In SW Georgia (Albeennny), the local ham club will advertise, via email, that a person has requested an examination and post the time, date, and location. It's likely not going to show up on an ARRL (or W5YI) listing.
*** Try the Dublin club. I know they have VEs ready and willing to help.

Oh, the fourth option: have you found any hamfests that you'll attend? They usually have an examination session.

Keep studying in the meantime. Get 90% and higher on the online (free) exams. Persist.

Fifth option: PM me and we can chat offline. I'm not a VE but know a few.