Jersey City Fire Dept

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICP114

When jerery city goes to the digital trunked system will the fd go digital as well or stay analog.

i know alot of fd's do not want to take the risk.

FDJC uses the primary as a fireground. with digital it will cause issues

any ny ifo on this????

SCPD

QRT
I would imagine testing between the departments will dicate what they do. IMHO, when a city/county goes to a TRS usually all services make the switch.

In Morris County, any Police/Fire/EMS agency being disptched by the county had no choice but to switch to the TRS if they wanted to continue to be handled by the county comm center.

SCPD

QRT
FD's are skeptic about digital comms. i believe that there is some type of investigation about digital radios and FG comms. a firefighter died in Virgina least year due to radio failures. this event was highly publicized by different firefighter organizations and has lead to the skepticisms. so until the investigation on the digital system is worked out, i cant see too many FD's moving around to digital. i know around northern NJ, alot of places that have digital TRS, do not have FD comms on them. most are analog, (Ex East Orange, Montclair)

SCPD

QRT
lakekid313 said:
FD's are skeptic about digital comms. i believe that there is some type of investigation about digital radios and FG comms. a firefighter died in Virgina least year due to radio failures. this event was highly publicized by different firefighter organizations and has lead to the skepticisms. so until the investigation on the digital system is worked out, i cant see too many FD's moving around to digital. i know around northern NJ, alot of places that have digital TRS, do not have FD comms on them. most are analog, (Ex East Orange, Montclair)

Fireground's yes, for Ops (calling in service) No.

gcr33

Will you guys stop spouting the IAFF line about digital being dangerous. There are a great number of agencies police and fire using digital radios day in and day out.

Digital works. Properly designed systems work.

Is a firefighter any different that a police officer? They both work under extreme conditions at times.

robbinsj2

gcr33 said:
Is a firefighter any different that a police officer? They both work under extreme conditions at times.
A police officer is much less likely to be transmitting with a chainsaw or vibralert or fire alarm going off in the background or foreground. The first two of those have been linked to problems with digital radios on occasion. It may only be certain radio models or systems under certain circumstances but it bears testing by the end users before a fire department switches over to a digital system. And the nature of the interference issues from power tools and vibralerts leads me to think fire alarms may contribute as well.

Police officers and firefighters (and EMTs for that matter) do all work under extreme conditions, but often extreme in very different ways from each other.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.