Jersey City Medical Center EMS - Hudcen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I spoke to someone from JCMC today, they said one of the main reasons they left their VHF system was because Verizon isn't supporting the copper lines used for the satellite receivers to get back to the voter. They also said that after hurricane Sandy they reception in the south was terrible. They also said the new system works great in all the areas they respond to.

lifestar53

Feed Provider
I spoke to someone from JCMC today, they said one of the main reasons they left their VHF system was because Verizon isn't supporting the copper lines used for the satellite receivers to get back to the voter. They also said that after hurricane Sandy they reception in the south was terrible. They also said the new system works great in all the areas they respond to.
Just before they went 700mhz they were using the 800mhz dmr radios from United Rescue for the south units. The admin radios has a TG for JC EMS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Copper emulation has always been a major problem, not just in NJ, but everywhere. ALL of the MC's legacy systems were at least tone remote, so as long as they pass audio, the circuit was usable. There are devices that can take audio and transmit it over the Internet.

It seems like all the hospital megaplexes are jumping over to NJICS. I suppose the interoperability with the other networks makes it worthwhile.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Anyone have any new info in the MC and their radios? I'm not getting anything on the state system with TG 4413 and 4414, I have all the sites in the radio. I've been hearing a key up for about 30 seconds or so on their VHF channel 155.2350.

Thanks

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any new info in the MC and their radios? I'm not getting anything on the state system with TG 4413 and 4414, I have all the sites in the radio. I've been hearing a key up for about 30 seconds or so on their VHF channel

Thanks

The new JCMC rigs I’ve seen within the last 6 months or so only have a VHF XPR with conventional channels in them. I don’t know if this means a revert to the old channels but I hope that helps you.

ShoreBullets

JC units are operating on MedCentral Comm 4. North region BLS, Livingston, Irvington, South Orange and also Millstone, Upper Freehold and Hamilton units will operate on Comm 3.

Com 1 is SCT and Middlesex and Somerset ALS
Com 2 is Middlesex and Somerset BLS
Com 5 & 6 are reserved for special events, overflow, ect

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
JC units are operating on MedCentral Comm 4. North region BLS, Livingston, Irvington, South Orange and also Millstone, Upper Freehold and Hamilton units will operate on Comm 3.

Com 1 is SCT and Middlesex and Somerset ALS
Com 2 is Middlesex and Somerset BLS
Com 5 & 6 are reserved for special events, overflow, ect

I'm using that TG 4413 RWJBH comm 4 - HUDCEN (JCMC EMS) with all sites and I get nothing in southern Bergen County. I get NFD and others on that system.

Reactions: 902

I'm using that TG 4413 RWJBH comm 4 - HUDCEN (JCMC EMS) with all sites and I get nothing in southern Bergen County. I get NFD and others on that system.
I'm not in the area anymore, but when I came up in September, I had all of this programmed into a 436 HP and also heard nothing on this TG. I was hearing other traffic on NJICS.

AlexC

Database Admin
Copper emulation has always been a major problem, not just in NJ, but everywhere. ALL of the MC's legacy systems were at least tone remote, so as long as they pass audio, the circuit was usable. There are devices that can take audio and transmit it over the Internet.

It seems like all the hospital megaplexes are jumping over to NJICS. I suppose the interoperability with the other networks makes it worthwhile.

Verizon has been a large pain about this in a number of regions which are transitioning to FIOS for all services. Their corporate understanding of what "radio" needs to function is not really the best. You can't use cellular with these systems because in a lot of cases they add variable delay. 4G usually is around 40-100+ms of delay. When you have 10 voted rx sites the audio has to arrive at the voter at the same time in order for it to make a decision that is "best". A lot of agencies used FDDA, RTNA, or other copper circuits - such as T1, to move audio between their sites. Verizon was pushing 4G in the north east until they were told on a number of conference calls that it is not a sufficient replacement. They then released special pricing which is around $180 per month for a point to point T1, and, have advised agencies to buy the TC Communications boxes to achieve what they had. This is great until you learn that they only support 4 DS0's, and, you are basically throwing away capacity. Add in a sales person who says you need to buy one circuit per RTNA/FDDA and another radio shop guy on commission and you see how this adds up quick and catches agencies by suprise.... Then add in that usually the IT and Radio people don't communiate well or have a understanding and their costs go up without the knowledge of how they could do better/save more....

For those of you unaware - this would add around $2500+ to each end of the circuit, one time fee, and increase the monthly cost by about $100 for most agencies using RTNA/FDDA style circuits. Most agencies are not happy about this. Motorola and other vendors are just waiting in the wings as people throw their arms up and move to IP - which also seems to drive some of the P25/crypto operations that vendors push.

Sadly while the internet is not horrible - without things like QOS, Class of Serivce, etc., it's very hard to keep systems up and running which rely on simply DS0 (64kb/G711ULAW) for their operations.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
It seems on my Whistler TRX-2 it just can't pull it in at my house. I used my Uniden 996 P2and I get JCMC. I though I got Newark FD on the Whistler but I don't get anything on the NJICS. I have W Orange, Union, Alpine, Ramapo, Telegraph Hill and E Rutherford. I'm in Southern Bergen County. I thought I liked the Whistler, but I'm starting not to like it as much as the 996P2. I'm going to try to put the TRX-2 on an out door antenna and I'll see if that helps. Thanks for all the comments and help.

Verizon has been a large pain about this in a number of regions which are transitioning to FIOS for all services. Their corporate understanding of what "radio" needs to function is not really the best. You can't use cellular with these systems because in a lot of cases they add variable delay. 4G usually is around 40-100+ms of delay. When you have 10 voted rx sites the audio has to arrive at the voter at the same time in order for it to make a decision that is "best". A lot of agencies used FDDA, RTNA, or other copper circuits - such as T1, to move audio between their sites. Verizon was pushing 4G in the north east until they were told on a number of conference calls that it is not a sufficient replacement. They then released special pricing which is around $180 per month for a point to point T1, and, have advised agencies to buy the TC Communications boxes to achieve what they had. This is great until you learn that they only support 4 DS0's, and, you are basically throwing away capacity. Add in a sales person who says you need to buy one circuit per RTNA/FDDA and another radio shop guy on commission and you see how this adds up quick and catches agencies by suprise.... Then add in that usually the IT and Radio people don't communiate well or have a understanding and their costs go up without the knowledge of how they could do better/save more....

For those of you unaware - this would add around $2500+ to each end of the circuit, one time fee, and increase the monthly cost by about $100 for most agencies using RTNA/FDDA style circuits. Most agencies are not happy about this. Motorola and other vendors are just waiting in the wings as people throw their arms up and move to IP - which also seems to drive some of the P25/crypto operations that vendors push.

Sadly while the internet is not horrible - without things like QOS, Class of Serivce, etc., it's very hard to keep systems up and running which rely on simply DS0 (64kb/G711ULAW) for their operations.
That's the nickle and dime effect of disaggregation. When I took over as a county 9-1-1 coordinator, I broke down every special circuit and the cost was amazing, just because there was never any excess capacity planned and the new thing needed "just one more" line. It spirals out of control very quickly. I was able to migrate many of those over to MPLS over microwave and fiber. While that seems like a lot more money, and it might be on the front-end, the back-end was much, much more cost effective.

I am a "radio man." I had to go back to school to learn "IT." They are different philosophies, entirely. Unfortunately, radiomen did little to further their art as a science and are now becoming part of IT departments.

The best thing I did for one of my systems was to just cut all of the RTs and do a 4.9 GHz link. In one short run (a few blocks with a clear line-of-sight), I wanted to do free-space optics rather than cable it or bury fiber.

As for the Internet, I'm always afraid of it being spoofed or interfered with. I don't think the wholesale migration to it will serve us well in the long run. I suppose if the packets can be sent in order and the timing synchronized, this would solve some of the problems, but unfriendlies have always concerned me.

Status
Not open for further replies.