Jersey City: Newport neighborhood security ("Spartan Security")

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3wrx

You guys will so totally rock if you know this one.

In Jersey City, in the Lefrak development area known as "Newport", they have a private security firm - the cars are labeled "Spartan Security". Can't for the life of me tease out which of the frequencies (if any) listed in the FCC database are used by these guys. Never heard them on the [Newport] mall frequencies.

Anyone know the frequency for these guys? I imagine it would be pretty interesting...

Thanks for any help.

Josh
n3wrx

n3wrx

found it

Hi guys. I got a new scanner recently with CloseCall, and found it myself.

For anyone interested, it is 468.9625, CTCSS 103.5. As far as I can tell, it is strictly simplex.

The frequency is fairly active - this unit patrols a fair amount of property in the downtown area.

Josh
N3WRX

ansky

Thanks. I have been wondering about that frequency myself. I live over by the Roosevelt building on 10th St. (right behind the mall) and the signal is fairly weak, but listenable. Does "simplex" mean that there is no repeater? I get Newport Mall (159.52) very strong. Do they have a repeater, and if so where is it located?

Last edited:

Joseph11

Yes, simplex means it's "direct" (no repeater). Check 463.9625 MHz to see if they're using a repeater.

n3wrx

Simplex, etc.

ansky said:
Thanks. I have been wondering about that frequency myself. I live over by the Roosevelt building on 10th St. (right behind the mall) and the signal is fairly weak, but listenable. Does "simplex" mean that there is no repeater? I get Newport Mall (159.52) very strong. Do they have a repeater, and if so where is it located?

Yes, simplex means that all users talk with one another by using one frequency. When you listen to people talking simplex, you are listening directly to the transmitter on the base/mobile/portable unit of each user.

Based purely on listening to the conversation (things like "can you read me", "you are breaking up", etc.), and the lack of pauses between transmissions, it appears to be a simplex operation. A definitive answer can be found in the FCC's frequency/licensee database:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/reports/index.cfm

However, I can't find a license for this user/frequency - it's not that unusual for people to operate without a license.

The Newport mall does, however, have a license for their repeater and licenses, and the application lists the repeater location and ERP.

Their callsign is WPMU277, and their location is listed as 6th and Henderson. Coordinates (can type this into google maps to get a mapping):

Lat: 40 deg, 43', 5.4" N
Lon: 74 deg, 1', 59.5" W

They have filed for 70W ERP, 40W output (their antenna has some gain).

Josh N3WRX

apu

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Close_call

"Close Call™ RF Capture Technology - Instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters. A Uniden Specific feature for their scanners.

The Close Call feature is also implemented on the RadioShack Pro-83, Pro-84, and Pro-2051 as "Signal Stalker". "Signal Stalker II" (used on some other RS models) is a different frequency detection method implemented on some GRE-made RS models.

n3wrx

ansky said:

BTW, we are probably neighbors (or very nearly so) - I live in the Park Hamilton building.

N3WRX

ansky

n3wrx said:
BTW, we are probably neighbors (or very nearly so) - I live in the Park Hamilton building.

N3WRX
Cool. I looked at an apartment in that building a few years ago. I'm on Manila Ave. b/t 9th and 10th.

n3wrx

ansky said:
Cool. I looked at an apartment in that building a few years ago. I'm on Manila Ave. b/t 9th and 10th.

If you're into scanner listening, you can hear a group of us on a local (Empire State Building) repeater, KQ2H, on 449.225 PL 146.2. A very active repeater during the day and especially late at night.

A group of JCPD guys also congregate on 448.275 (2MAK), and 447.175 (2ZTH).

Anyway, a great deal of interesting radio is out there where we live. Good stuff, especially if you can get an antenna on the roof.

TonyS

Per the FCC database no one in Hudson county is licensed for 468.9625. They may very well be unlicensed, operating illegally. Sometimes businesses don't know what they're licensed frequency is or what the radio company programmed their radios to. They should be questioned about licensing.

n3wrx

TonyS said:
Per the FCC database no one in Hudson county is licensed for 468.9625. They may very well be unlicensed, operating illegally. Sometimes businesses don't know what they're licensed frequency is or what the radio company programmed their radios to. They should be questioned about licensing.

Anyone want to call/e-mail them? Any FCC/Law Enforcement operatives out there?

Here's their info:

http://www.spartansecurityservices.com/contact.asp

n3wrx

some more stuff in that area

Port Liberte security

469.6, I have the PL somewhere...

n3wrx

ansky

While we're on the topic of security, do the Jersey City public schools have a security force? If so, does anybody have a frequency for them?

SCANdal

Silent Key
There is a reason why it's known as FCC Enfarcement in the business...

n3wrx said:
Anyone want to call/e-mail them? Any FCC/Law Enforcement operatives out there?
FCC? Law Enforcement? In the same sentence? Ha ha. Haha, Haha Ahahaaaa, ahahhahhaaaaa!

n3wrx

ansky said:
While we're on the topic of security, do the Jersey City public schools have a security force? If so, does anybody have a frequency for them?

They definitely do - I've seen their vehicles outside the cordero school on 9th & Erie, for example. I'm sure they have radios, but have never paid attention. I'll grab the handheld the next time see one, see if I can get a frequency/PL.

There's a somewhat higher chance that this frequency is in the FCC database, and that a radial search will find it (enter coordinates, enter radius and service type, comb through results). Depending on the school system's organization (run by the state now? the schools are so screwed up I forget what the deal is now), it may be on a county/state TRS or otherwise larger level of government.

n3wrx

Status
Not open for further replies.