JERSEY CITY NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELLO ALL LAST MONTH I USED TO BE ABLE HEAR JERSEY CITY FIRE AND POLICE ON MY SDS 200 I TRIED EVERYTHING THAT I COULD THINK OF THE ONLY WAY I GOT IT TO WORK WAS TO PUT IT IN MY CAR AND DRIVE TO MET LIFE STADIUM IN EAST RUTHERFORD AND STARTED TO PICK THEM UP I THINK IT MIGHT BE MY LOCATION IN MY HOUSE ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL

THANKS

tvengr

Well Known Member
Check to see if you accidentally turned on the attenuator for the Jersey City system. You should see ATT on the display if it is on.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Don't worry....you're not the only one with that problem.

I live further up north from JC, but was able to get the cops and fire digital system with basically no problem (analog is OK).

Now, I can't get them at all.

I've did a test within JC, driving up JFK with a hand-held scanner, while also monitoring JC on my phone. The signals on the scanner stopped just south of 495. I would imagine that a Motorola radio would do better, since there's no complaints from the police or fire field units (then, again, how would they know they were NOT receiving a signal?).

I also did a test on southbound River Road. No signal until about the area of Palisades Hospital. I also tested on southbound Tonnelle Ave, with no signal as far down as 79th St., at which time I gave up and went up to JFK northbound, with no signal there, either.

The problem seems to be with the massive development of high-rise buildings, especially in the Journal Square area. Don't expect anything to change, however, until a LOT of complaints come in from the police and fire units.

Last edited:

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I get them loud and clear on a few different scanners from hand held to base in South Bergen County. I get them on the GSP south with a Uniden 396XT with a mag antenna on the roof as far south as the Asbury rest area. I get the analog channels with a CDM1250 and a yagi antenna in Ocean County most of the time.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
There's no massive high-rise development in the southern part of Jersey City....yet....so there's no blockage of signal in that direction.

In some parts of south BC, depending on if your in a direction east or west of the main high-rise area in JC, you could receive the signal. Jersey City's digital signal is received OK in Midtown Manhattan towards the West Side, at the same latitude as about where Bergen/Hudson county line is.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The issue of this thread is NOT where JC is received "fine," but where it's not being received at all.

And since we believe we have a reason for that....high-rise development blocking northern signals....there's really no reason for the repetitious "reports" of "fine" reception to the south.

ansky

How many transmitters does the JC TRS have and where are they located? I'm 10 miles west and have no issues.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I know there is a receiver on a senior citizens high rise in the heights. So if they are also transmitting from the receive sites, that will discount the development in the square theory since it's north of it. Possible the heights site is down. If it is only one transmitter and it's on the old Medical Center building with the analog equipment, it shouldn't be totally blocking the signal to the north because the old MC is further to the east then the square and has a clear shot right up along the palisades. Before I retired from JCFD when we went mutual aid, the TRS worked better out of town because it has a lot more receive sites then the analog systems.

WA2QBJ

Premium Subscriber
Try experimenting with the filters. I had an issue receiving the Monmouth P25 system that was resolved by using the proper filter on the site frequency. It was a trial and error exercise but I did get it to work. FWIW I am receiving JC in northern Monmouth Co with the SDS 200. Good Luck!

rftechnyc

Member without Bit-Error
Premium Subscriber
My BC-536 with a Hustler Scanner antenna was picking them up in New City just fine in the car on saturday. Roughly 30miles or so north of JC

ten13

Premium Subscriber
There seems to be some kind of "improvement" in the signal over the weekend and today (Monday), as I am getting them at home (High rise apt). Not a solid signal, but readible.

But still not getting them at ground level with a hand-held portable in the car until I get close to JC.

More investigation needed.

How many transmitters does the JC TRS have and where are they located? I'm 10 miles west and have no issues.
FCC records indicate that the JC TRS has fixed transmitters located at the following addresses:

50 BALDWIN AVE JERSEY CITY, NJ HUDSON County
1065 Summit Ave. Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County
525 Washington Blvd. Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County
3 New Heckman Drive Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County
678 Montgomery Street Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County (460 MHz frequencies only)

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
50 BALDWIN AVE JERSEY CITY, NJ HUDSON County............... Old JC Medical Center (Center of the city)
1065 Summit Ave. Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County.................. Muhlenberg Gardens Senior Apartments (North part of the city (The Heights")
525 Washington Blvd. Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County........... Newport Tower (East side of the city (Down town)
3 New Heckman Drive Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County........... Heckmen Projects ( South part of the City (Greenville)
678 Montgomery Street Jersey City, NJ HUDSON County (460 MHz frequencies only)........ ( JC Armory Building, Center of the city)

So if the TRS transmits from all it's sites, 1065 Summit Ave is north of Journal Square and the new high rise buildings. This would discredit the theory that the new buildings are blocking the signal travailing to the north.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I knew JC had a site on Summit, but I thought it was only for the analog.

In any event, someone within the "powers-that-be" must have gotten wind of the issue at hand, and had it corrected (so far). I'm receiving JC as far up as the GWB, with minimal breaking up on a hand-held portable. (That may be better than I had before!)

Status
Not open for further replies.