Jersey City TRS going 100% full time encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
From a good source inside Jersey City, the UHF TRS will be going full encryption soon. PD and FD radios have been programmed, as well as mutual aid radios for JC that are in other cities. I'm told that the two analog UHF channels (460-550 and 460-600) will be in the clear, but I have been hearing JCFD using Ch 6 more and more for calls and less traffic on the analog channels. This rumor has been around for a while, but it seems like it's going to be happening sooner then later.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Before this post goes awry, I only posted this as an FYI for people who monitor JCFD and JCPD. :)

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Something to be said for...

1) Having the story first
2) Using the search function for the thread first, maybe something like Jersey City encryption.

Here is my post from a ways back. No new surprises here.

Last edited by a moderator:

RadioChief55

Feed Provider

2) Using the search function for the thread first, maybe something like Jersey City encryption.

r60, I would have updated YOUR post with the most recent information, however comments on it were no longer available. I wanted to give people a heads up of what was going to happen very soon, not something from your post where you said " During 2018 encryption will be deployed throughout system" that I contributed to also.

Being a part of said organization, I get pretty good information.
Thanks for your input.

K2NEC

From a good source inside Jersey City, the UHF TRS will be going full encryption soon. PD and FD radios have been programmed, as well as mutual aid radios for JC that are in other cities. I'm told that the two analog UHF channels (460-550 and 460-600) will be in the clear, but I have been hearing JCFD using Ch 6 more and more for calls and less traffic on the analog channels. This rumor has been around for a while, but it seems like it's going to be happening sooner then later.
Unfortunately so... one of many

I bet the house the folks involved in this decision don't like their current system available to anyone with a cell phone!
The straw that broke the camel's back came as a result of news media organizations broadcasting recorded JCPD radio transmissions associated with the ambush killing of a police officer in December of 2019.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

You mean this one?

JC.PNG

Something to be said for checking your facts before criticizing someone else.

joedisp

Premium Subscriber
AES, after breaking Harris encryption in Boston during the protest everyone will move to AES.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I'm not very familiar with encryption types, I was told the encryption was a low end encryption and can be un-encrypted / decrypted with computer software. I wrote down what they told me and they did say ADP. So who knows?? As long as the FD still uses the two analog channels for fire ground I'm good with it.

edisonfire

Have any newspaper reporters asked the city administration why the fire department, or routine police radio traffic, have a need for encryption? If the public doesn't know 3-4 people were shot or stabbed, it doesn't make the city safer.

phillydjdan

ROFL the news media asking tough questions?! That's a riot! Lol. The news media only copy and paste off Twitter nowadays. When's the last time you saw a member of the news media ask a tough question? And when they do, you know what the city will say? "Tough ****, deal with it"

Status
Not open for further replies.