Jersey City Trunking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CqDx

WQBL368

Heard a P25 Standard Control Channel on 476.1500, System ID 1F0, WACN B000B. Didn't hear any voice traffic yet.

A quick search on the FCC database revealed the following frequencies will be used:

Keep on listening!

W2SJW

Database Admin
My friend running the deployment of that system said they had turned it up a few weeks ago to let the engineers gauge the signal coverage of the CC from a few of the sites, but that they shut it down at the end of the day.

What you are hearing today is just more level testing (and testing the T1 connections between the 4 sites). The new dispatch center has still not been completed, and that's another contractor/vendor causing that problem.

Do not expect to see this system put into normal use until the end of this year...

CqDx

Thanks Scott, I guess the process will be more or less than same as the Bayonne deployment, almost 3/4 of year before the system is put into use.

AlexC

Database Admin
That's also not all the channels. There's 2-3 others that are slated to shift over to use on the system but are in current use.

The master controller hasn't shipped yet.

-Alex

AlexC

Database Admin
The building they are getting is being pre-fabbed in sections and getting delivered to Jersey City as I understand it.

I wouldn't expect to see anything on the mapping programs satellite or street views anytime soon...

K9one

New Dispatch Center

Went by the new dispatch center location some parts of the building have begun to arrive via truck and are being erected at site.

Also heard vendor will begin to install new radio in radio cars programmed with the new system and the old system so all the have to do is change channels when they put the new system to work.

K9one

Jersey City New Dispatch center

here is a picture of the new dispatch center which arrived on numerous trucks and was erect like lego blocks on site

Attachments

• img307.jpg
    img307.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,077

ansky

Does anyone know if JCFD will have an analog simulcast channel once the city moves the trunked system? My scanner recently died and I don't want to buy a digital one due to the high cost. JCFD is really the only thing I listen to regularly anyway. If they will remain on analog I'll pick up another cheap analog scanner.

AlexC

Database Admin
Does anyone know if JCFD will have an analog simulcast channel once the city moves the trunked system? My scanner recently died and I don't want to buy a digital one due to the high cost. JCFD is really the only thing I listen to regularly anyway. If they will remain on analog I'll pick up another cheap analog scanner.

This isn't in the plan from what I've heard.

One of the FD dispatch channels is going to be used as channel for the trunked system. They are in the process of getting a second channel which will be analog fire ground with the other (current FD1/FD2) channel that is not being used for the system.

All dispatch will be P25 on the system.

There are not currently provisions in the P25 protocol for 9600 trunking for analog voice. The only system that I know that is in development that supports 9600CC trunking and analog voice is the NYC Channel 16 project, and that's probably because Motorola wanted to kiss NYC's feet.

From what I understand of the jersey city project you will need a digital scanner to listen to any city service with the exception of EMS. They will have talkgroups on the system however I doubt that they will switch to the JC system for primary dispatch. My guess is that their ambulances may end up having the radios in there for interoperability.

-Alex

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

Got some more good news-type info from my private source in the last few days. The rank & file of JCPD are going to be issued XTS1500 M1.5's. Only senior admins & special units will be getting XTS2500's.

Anyone who knows their radio layouts knows that the minimum required model to do AES encryption is a 2500... ;)

Also, JC & Bayonne will have inter-op talkgroups between their two systems...

CqDx

Guys,

Got some more good news-type info from my private source in the last few days. The rank & file of JCPD are going to be issued XTS1500 M1.5's. Only senior admins & special units will be getting XTS2500's.

Anyone who knows their radio layouts knows that the minimum required model to do AES encryption is a 2500... ;)

Also, JC & Bayonne will have inter-op talkgroups between their two systems...

Yes on the AES encryption for XTS2500, but I am quite certain that XTS1500 can do ADP, which is a software based encryption and requires no hardware install.

AlexC

Database Admin
Yes on the AES encryption for XTS2500, but I am quite certain that XTS1500 can do ADP, which is a software based encryption and requires no hardware install.

Let's also not forget that it's a $5 option according to ecat :)

Doesn't matter what kind of encryption they use - even if they use bit inversion your still screwed since no one makes a scanner to do that anyway :).

-Alex

bigray246

Jcpd

Just an FYI Atlantic Citys 800 Mhz. trunked system is P25 for the PD and analog for the FD. I know its an older system but it could be done. Also still no encryption in use! Ray.

robbinsj2

Just an FYI Atlantic Citys 800 Mhz. trunked system is P25 for the PD and analog for the FD. I know its an older system but it could be done.
The P25 standard covers trunked systems and digital audio. Atlantic City runs P25-compliant digital audio over a Motorola trunked system. Jersey City has a P25-compliant trunked system, and P25 trunked systems do not support analog audio.

Jersey City could conceivably use analog in part or whole if they got an "old-fashioned" Motorola trunked system but that isn't what they got. And W2SJW has reported they're hard to get now anyway, that Motorola is pushing P25 systems.

Jim

AlexC

Database Admin
so the question remains, will/can the system be heard on a new digital scanner ?

Yes, you will be able to hear it on any P25 complaint scanner that supports 9600 trunking and IMBE digital voice.

-Alex

AlexC

Database Admin
Jersey City could conceivably use analog in part or whole if they got an "old-fashioned" Motorola trunked system but that isn't what they got. And W2SJW has reported they're hard to get now anyway, that Motorola is pushing P25 systems.

Not really 100% correct.

Motorola won't sell you a non-p25 compliant system - or a system which supports analog and digital voice at this time. The systems they are selling these days are combination systems - they support IMBE voice and also FDMA, which is the "newer" digital that Motorola is pushing to be adopted in the P25 Phase 2 standard.

This doesn't go to say that there are other options available, however, there are not options that will support analog voice and Motorola subscriber units unless your willing to use LTR and Waris series radios (which really suck IMHO).

There are plenty of combination systems out there that support Analog and Digital voice, but I do not believe the capability exists in a 7.x platform system.

The *ONE* exception to this may end up being the NYC Channel 16 project which is rumored to use APCO25 trunking - but - with Analog voice channels.

-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.